The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago, Jim Marsh - a long term season ticket holder from Clevedon, who was a butcher & licensed game dealer, told me that he always froze his fish whole. As they didn't get frostburn on the insede flesh, if they were gutted.

After cleaning them, from a partly de-frosted state, leave the body in cold water (with ice, if wanted) & several tablespoons of vinegar, that helped remove any earthieness. Obviously things have moved on since then, but it still works as well as ever.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Liked by: Limpet, Allrounder, JCP
Limpet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alan.
I used to freeze fish whole but found that not only does it take up too much freezer space, as you mention, but as the only trout eater in the family I was wasting fish as I didn't get around to eating the second half within a few days once cooked so it often went off in the fridge.
I was getting freezer burn on the flesh of the fish I did fillet and wrapped in cling film or sometimes foil.
I saw the vacuum sealer in Lidl's a few months ago and as I like a gadget I thought it would be a good solution. My wife (who does eat salmon - but not trout!) also now has me sealing her salmon fillets and chicken breast's singularly as it's easier to store in the freezer.
I have previously been putting butter in with the salmon, as you can cook the pouch sous-vide, so under vacuum in simmering water, and the results are quite good. You can cook from frozen as well. I therefore thought I would try it with trout. The plastic foil is OK up to 110 deg C and it comes on a roll, though it's not as cheap as plastic bags. Crying or Very sad
You heat seal one end, cut the pouch to length, add contents, offer it up to the machine, push the button and the machine then sucks the air out before it again seals. It's a more elegant way of doing things though it can be a bit fiddly. Smile
I don't bother skinning the fillets, but just cook as it, as it helps hold the fish together.
Bon Appetite Smile
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Limpet Smile

When I see them I sometimes buy kippers that you can boil in the bag so there is no reason why it shouldn't work with vacuum sealed trout. As well as butter you could probably add herbs etc so I think I'll look into this further. Wink

arkle wrote:
Many years ago, Jim Marsh - a long term season ticket holder from Clevedon, who was a butcher & licensed game dealer, told me that he always froze his fish whole. .

I recall another tip which I believe was credited to the same Butcher from Clevedon which involved keeping fish fresh for longer on warm days when leaving them on the bank or in warm water would spoil the flesh. I'm not sure if I've got the all details 100% correct but basically the idea was to find a shady spot where there is hopefully a slight breeze and store your fish in a wet bass bag off the ground making sure it doesn't dry out. The idea being that the evaporation process helps to keep the fish cool. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Evaporation Method Reply with quote

Forumite ''Doombar'' passed this wisdom on to me one day when we were out.It works really well.I liked the lined cool bags but they do not go the distance.When you chaps say Freeze Whole do you mean as they are and gutted during defrost ? Sorry but I am from Dorset Very Happy

Best JP
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCP, "As they are" is the way to go, ideally hold the fish head first under a cold running tap, & ues thumb & forefinger to "sqeeze" out (starting from the gills) any potential waste products etc, before bagging up, in the day, I used loaf bags as that was then the best option
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Liked by: JCP, Allrounder
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk of how to freeze fish. I need to catch some first! Very Happy

Does anyone know when tank 2 is due to open? I can hopefully manage a mini-opening day.
swampydick
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butcombe this morning, arrived at 6.30 and fished next to car park started with inter and had a fish after 10 mins on a orange blob, I felt that they were pretty deep so put on fast sinker and then it was full on catching fish to booby on point or cormarant on dropper.
All fish super fit packed in just after 9 as wind was a pain in the neck. Had 8 to the net all between 2 and 3 ib.
I was the only angler at butcombe and could see one chap fishing the lawn, thought there would be a few more out.
Thanks limpet for report as you put me on the fish.

Cheers mike
Liked by: Allrounder, blondie, Limpet, mc07fly
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is out on Chew on Friday or Saturday of this week can they give me a heads up on Saturday evening please. I'm out on Sunday with some of my club members. I prefer fishing buzzers, but will pull nasty things if needed. I will probably fish off the bank - Woodford for preference. Thanks in advance
Liked by: BristolFlyer
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did give #14 grey buzzers a mention in my opening day post, where a season ticket holder had 9 on them, including some "lumps" not sure if he was off Woodford though.
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylye wrote:
If anyone is out on Chew on Friday or Saturday of this week can they give me a heads up on Saturday evening please. I'm out on Sunday with some of my club members. I prefer fishing buzzers, but will pull nasty things if needed. I will probably fish off the bank - Woodford for preference. Thanks in advance

I'm out on Sunday - say hi if you see me. I drive a silver van with a red fish on the side.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some lumps coming out of Chew - might not be overwintered but notwithstanding would give some serious sport. I have a boat on Chew tomorrow so hope some similar beasties take a fancy to my nymphs. Will report back in due course.
Liked by: arkle
Thomas Tom-Thomas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicked a Dawn Patrol session on the tanks this morning. Fished the pipe and took 7 before things went very flat at about 7.45.

Two nice overwintered fish of about 2 pounds in there - strong fish Shock . All on lures.

The level on 3 had come up a bit, and there were a few buzzers coming off.

Conditions look great for the weekend - Looking forward to hearing back from the big lake Very Happy
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a boat on Chew yesterday with pal Pino - conditions good with cloud cover, light winds from the SW and water clarity at over 8 ft.

Set up a floater with a glue buzzer on the point and dbs on droppers - motored to Villice and set a drift along the shoreline toward the jetty's about 50-60 yds out from the 5 or 6 guys on the bank. Neither of us touched a thing nor saw any banksmen catching. Motored around to Herons and as ever the wind was totally different as it flutes through the hills so this made drifting difficult as I wanted to stay reasonably close to the shore so off to Moreton Point where we threw the hook out with our backs to the Elephant Grass. Pino put a Cats Whisker on the point and almost immediately had a good fish whilst I soldiered on for a little while with nymphs fished slowly. I then set up my Inty with a Mexican attractor on the point and buzzers on the droppers and the fun started. Over the rest of the day we took about 16 fish to the boat all of which would have made 3lb ish and a couple in excess of 4lb. The fish were holding in mid water and I have never, at Chew, had such fit fish nor had so much aerial acrobatics. All great fun on a #6.

We had a new 2 fish ticket for a very slight discount with instructions that "if you kill your 2 fish you must cease fishing". What a crazy rule that would be almost impossible to police. Come on BW sell a proper C&R ticket which would be easier to police. Very few boats out, perhaps a dozen and at least 4 were pikers so not good for the revenue stream. Some pictures

compass bank near my location
Liked by: arkle, lakefisher, JCP, mc07fly, Allrounder
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Tenet does Chew on Spring Equinox Reply with quote

Blimey Doug those fish look like bloody steelheads and appears they pull a bit too.Good to see you have joined the ''Daphnia Emergers Ensemble''.Thanks for inspiring report.Any swallows yet or buzzers coming off ?

Best JP
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Jon - as we motored back at 6pm a flock of Martin's were hawking the water. There was also signs of proper buzzers sporadically hatching along with those skinny black ones. We only saw 2 or 3 fish top the surface all day, mind the wind had a sharp edge to it.

The top of Herons and behind Bob's house seemed to hold 3 or 4 boats for most of the day as well as a couple of boats over at Wick. We were having too much fun to explore any further than the stretch between Moreton point and a few hundred yards toward Stratford.

Joy of joy Pino also had a c6lb jack engulf his cats whisker Very Happy

Cheers
Liked by: arkle, Allrounder
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: