The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

What colour

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: What colour Reply with quote

I was interested as to why trout took a blue booby fished deep - this article may well explain the rational. 

I’ve gone through a number or sources for the various depths at which the various colors will no longer be discernible underwater. For most freshwater rivers and lakes color loss underwater will be at approximately: 

Red ~15-18 ft (5 m) (note: after 5 m ~ 90% of the intensity of red is gone) 
Orange ~ 25-33 ft (10 m) 
Yellow ~ 35-45 ft (10-14m) 
Green ~ 70-75 ft (20 m) 
Blue ~ 110 ft (30-33 m) 
Purple ~ 75 ft (20 m) 
Color Loss Underwater 
Depths at which colors are no longer visible in freshwater. 

These numbers are for clear water only, depths will be shallower with the introduction of particulate matter, organic materials, tea stain etc. 
A special note on Fluorescent Colors 
An object that is fluorescent emits light of a longer wavelength after absorbing light of a shorter wavelength. Thus, a fluorescent lure that appears chartreuse/yellow in color is absorbing light in the green-blue-ultraviolet portion of the spectrum – i.e. colors that are available at greater depths! This is why fluorescent colors can be seen at greater depths than normal. Fluorescent colors also work particularly well on cloudy days, when the visible light spectrum is diminished but UV light (short wavelength) is still quite strong. 

So maybe Blue boobies with green eyes are the way forward.  
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the final sentence I'd add "sometimes!" Next day it'll be orange, then black then.........?
Linley

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds very interesting indeed. I'd love to know how much time was spent experimenting with this and under what conditions.
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There's only one, Hard & fast rule" & that's "there are NO hard & fast rules"
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: