The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Somerset Levels 5th March 19

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Fly Fishing For Pike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Somerset Levels 5th March 19 Reply with quote

As there is little more than a week left of the coarse fishing season I decided to get another session in on the Levels. Normally I don't bother to arrive until mid morning at this time of year but as I wanted to be away before the heavy rain and wind arrived in the afternoon I decided on an early start. In fact I wish I had started even earlier as it had been light for around an hour when I finally set off along the bank at 7.30am on a glorious early Spring morning with hardly a breath of wind.

Water clarity was around a foot so I started with a 10inch white fly but it was hard going. After a fair walk I eventually I got my first pull but it was clear that the fish had grabbed the long tail. By now the wind had picked up which made distance casting difficult so I changed to a smaller fly of the same colour. The result was almost instantaneous and after a short pugnacious fight a Croc that my scales confirmed at just over 7lb was in the net! Very Happy

Buoyed by success I carried on up the bank but apart from a missed pull that was it for a while. Then I got the pull I had been waiting for. I had let the fly sink a little deeper than usual and on starting the retrieve I though I had hooked the bottom ...until it started plodding up the middle of the drain! It stayed deep while I applied side strain but when I got it to within netting distance it spat the hook back at me! I didn't see it but I am sure it was a double and that was what I was after. Sad

I carried on without any further success until I got the point where it was time for a cup of tea before turning around to fish my way back to the car. I pondered on what to do next and decided to try various other flies which were unsuccessful so I went back to the big White one again. This fly looked really good in the water and luckily for me a decent Croc agreed! It was a pretty awesome take which caused the water to bulge and then erupt and when I got it in the net I thought it might scrape 10 as it was a solid fish but the scales said 9 on the button. Close but no cigar. Laughing

That was more or less it apart from a small Jack that wanted to play with the tail and not the hook and all too soon I was back at the car just as the first spots of rain arrived.

So a good session which made me work for my pulls and was none the worse for that Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: tenet, BristolFlyer, blondie, lakefisher
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Fly Fishing For Pike All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: