The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Montanajoe's Ramblings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Toft Newton 2 March Reply with quote

After fishing well all week on nymphs the wind and it got a bit chillier got up for our BFTA meet. A good turnout as well. So we set out with high expectations. I set up two rods, one a floater with nymphs in case the fish came up in the water and a Di3 with a black & green tadpole and cat booby which was my starter set up. Things started well and I had a couple of offers near the boat dock and a couple of fish on the black & green further down the bank. Most of the tubes were down near the black pipe, one of my favoured areas so I made my way down there. It was a bit crowded and I never had an offer so decided to head back up the bank where I knew there were some fish. On the way back I decided to stick on a black snake. While not gaining much interest initially I found a pod of fish which liked the snake and after a mad hour or so I had made my total to 7 when I decided to have a tea break in the lodge which was most welcome. So, with renewed vigour I set out again, confident that I had cracked the code. How wrong could you be. I had about 4 tentative offers in the productive area and got talking to Brian who was having no luck. I told him about my efforts with a black snake and he immediately began to catch fish around me. He didn’t put on a snake though but a nomad. I chopped and changed flies and lines, even trying the nymph setup for a while with no luck until a stupid fish took a gold shuggy on an intermediate. It was a difficult day when the fish seemed to switch off and on and if you were lucky enough you could catch a few. It goes to show that every day is different and where nymphs were king the previous couple of days they didn’t work well today. One bank angler did have success drifting buzzers around on the breeze taking 8 fish.
Liked by: Allrounder
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Ogston 3 April Reply with quote

Decided to have a cast on Ogston reservoir in the evening after work. Not overly confident as evening fishing has proved to be pretty poor at this time of year in previous seasons but hey it beats working.
Arrived to find a member coming off who had not touched or seen a fish. Thinking they’d be a bit deeper Is et up with an intermediate line with a blob and black & green tadpole. The wind dropped and the od fish started to move, I lost 2 and had four other offers before I eventually hooked into a nice blue of around 2 ½ lbs on the blob. Then we had a hail storm with a biting east wind which seemed to slow everything up. This cleared and the water was now flat calm with fish moving way out of reach. So, I swapped to a floater and swapped the tadpole for a montana. A fish showed close in and I covered her, and she took straight away on the blob. I was also getting a few offers and managed another couple, lost a couple, being snapped off at a wind knot on the montana. I had tied up some black & green FAB’s and hadn’t wet them yet so now seemed as a good a time as any. It was now getting really cold, so much so that my fly box had a coating of ice on it! As I was about to have my last cast, I saw a fish move close in. A quick cast in front produced a follow to the FAB which was taken right at my feet. The water exploded as I hooked into him. He shot off towards the middle of the lake taking me almost to the backing, before I got him closer in, but he was a strong fish and he kept on pulling hard. When I did eventually get him in, he was a nice brown of around the 4lb mark. My PB brown off here. I watched him swim strongly back to the deeps. Another couple of casts saw another rainbow to the FAB to finish the evening. It was now Baltic out there, so off home I went a very contented being. The quality of fish caught was superb, all around the 2 ½ to 3 lb stamp and boy do they go in he shallow water. I would have been happy to catch one fish given the conditions and time of year but to land six and lose twice as many shows the superb quality of fishing we have in the DCAC.

Liked by: lakefisher
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report Iain, and congratulations on the Brownie! Very Happy
You certainly have some quality water available to you through the DCAC at a reasonable cost compared to what you would have to pay 'down South'. Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Ogston 10 April Reply with quote

Another late shift on Ogston beckoned. Arrived at 6pm and set up with a floating line and blob with buzzers. Denzil and two others had arrived before me and had nothing between them. No fish were showing, and the wind was coming from the East with a blue sky. Not ideal but I knew fish were around. A swap to a cats whisker immediately paid dividends as I hooked a nice fish which came off shortly before I was due to land her. Another few changes saw nothing else until I tried an ILB and cat booby which saw me land 3 fish in about 6 casts. Then they switched off again with nothing. Another move saw me hook a fish when I was extending the line out to make a cast. This fish then run me to the backing before I brought her to hand to be released. These fish put up a good account of themselves and are of a similar stamp at 2 ½ lbs or thereabouts. Not as eventful as I wished but still a better return than my recent efforts on Carsington.
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Battle Trout 14 April - Thornton Reply with quote

A chilly east wind was blowing and with Kev’s experiences of the previous day I set up two rods. The banker was the buzzer set up with a damsel on the point which should work well at this time of year. The other rod was a Di5 with two blobs, a tequila FAB and a Blue white blob. I worked down the west side of the lake by the dam wall around the Stones with not so much as a touch. There was a good hatch of buzzers coming off all day with martens working the water. Eventually mad my way to the corner where everyone else was gathered and I caught my first of the day on the blue/white blob. There were fish in this area and I proceeded to work this area with the Di5 on a slow figure eight. Most fish were taking the tequila FAB so I switched the top dropper with Biscuit and black/green FABS as they kept the flies just out of the weeds. Sport was consistent with a period where I was getting an offer or fish every 3 or 4 casts. I lost a lot of fish during the play, a sign of fresh stockies. I did try the buzzer set up more than once but nothing was attracted to it. The Di5 was working for me. The fish were obviously near the bottom in 6 to 10 feet or so of water. Most takes came a when the flies were coming up the slope. Finished the session with 19 to the net and many more lost. A good day’s fishing for me. A big thanks to Kev Dewey for sussing the method on Saturday although he was using a Di7.
Great to meet up with everyone again.
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Iain! Seems like Blobs / FABS are doing well this year. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Ogston 25 April Reply with quote

Arrived just in time to be greeted by a thunderstorm shortly after setting up. This soon passed so I made my way along the banks. I tackled up with a Cossack, buzzer and blob. The wind was blowing into and along the bank, but casting was not too difficult. There were fish within range as I lost 4 before hooking into my first of the evening on the blob. There was little surface activity, but fish were there about 2 feet down. I was broken twice on the take as the rod tip was too low. I tried a FAB but this wasn’t as effective as the blob. I kept moving and finding fish along the bank. They weren’t shoaled up and they liked the blob. Eventually I decided that a single blob was easier to cast and was all that was necessary. Just before dark the wind dropped a bit and the odd fish started to show and chase. Finished with 9 good rainbows, including some slimmer full tailed fish from previous stockings. A better outing than my WOTR efforts last weekend which will go unmentioned.
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Sutton 28 April Reply with quote

Took the float tube out on Sutton for my first real effort. Conditions looked good so I set up with a washing line with a Tequila FAB on the point, cruncher and olive buzzer on the droppers. This was the start of possibly my best day’s fishing in years if not ever. Odd fish were moving on top and were taking the FAB and ignoring the nymphs. I swapped nymphs regularly, but fish kept hammering the FAB, fished static or retrieved. Fish were moving all over the lake as a hatch of olive buzzers was underway, to be followed by pond olives. No matter where I went on the lake fish were there and taking, almost all to the FAB although I did manage a couple to a diawl. Ten, twenty then I stopped counting. These fish also fought hard in the shallow water with a few of them taking me down to the backing. My arms were getting tired, so I took the FAB off and replaced it with a dry yellow owl and a Hares ear. This proved just as effective if you covered a feeding fish.
Fish were moving so much that you had to concentrate on which fish to cover. The owl caught better when it sunk a little in the surface and it was with regret that I had to leave with the fish still feeding (and pulling) hard. This is what fishing should be like. Casting to moving fish on top and fish responding by taking, nipping or chasing. Fantastic day’s fishing with over 30 fish to the net plus many more hooked. This has now become my float tubing preferred venue as fish were everywhere and not concentrated in one area. It’s a pity it’s still an hour and a bit drive for me otherwise I’d be there almost every chance I could get.
You have to give it try from the tube; you won’t regret it!
drsixty7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an amazing day! Is that water pen to all or just DCAC members?
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: MTSFC Charity day Reply with quote

A beautiful sunny day welcomed our charges for the day, the Alfreton Special School. Twelve children arrived, none of which had any fishing experience so were unsure as to what was on offer.

My charge was Kevin who was a really caring young lad and willing to learn. Starting with a blob, I cast out and Kevin retrieved the line back again and we were soon into fish no.1. He played it and I netted it for him. He was a happy lad and we slipped the fish safely back into the water. Kevin was a dream charge as he was thinking all the way through the retrieve, he likened it to playing cat and mouse with the fish, teasing them into taking. We soon had a few fish, along with many takes which were frequently missed. As takes dried up on the blob a damsel, cat and buzzer brought further fish for us. We were joined by little Jesse and Brandon who worked together as a team, I cast it out, Kevin and Brandon shared the retrieving and Jesse would net any fish we caught. I just left them to enjoy the day as they were working well together with no arguments at all. It was a privilege for me to observe and assist. At lunch time a visit from the fire brigade with the kids being shown around by the excellent firefighters only increased the kid’s enjoyment of the day. All the kids were presented with their own certificates of achievement with medals being awarded in various categories.
Another excellent day being organised by the MTSFC, the kids left with Kevin wishing to go fishing every Tuesday as he had literacy classes then.

This is one of my favourite days out all year and although it’s only a little thing, hopefully the kids will remember the day out and who knows what the future will bring but the joy of angling certainly beats a day at work and as Kevin said beats the classroom.
Liked by: lakefisher, Allrounder
lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respect Mate Very Happy ..... Tony
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, Iain! Cool

Alan
B.A.S.S.

montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Ladybower 18 May Reply with quote

Toddled up to Ladybower for an afternoon session. There was a slight ripple to flat calm and fish were moving all around. Tackled up two rods, a floater with Hares ear and snatcher and an intermediate with SS and cat boobies. Paddled out to see how Steve Frakes was getting on with the inter and had two one to each fly. Steve was on 15 fish so I thought this could be interesting. Fish were cruising along the top now so on with the floater, casting to moving fish. The hares ear was best as I soon reached double figures. The wind got up and the fish went down for a little while, so I made my way to the dam wall where it was calmer and picked up some more fish. A swap to the inter gave another couple of fish. The wind steadied into a slight ripple and fish started moving again. A couple more to the hares ear but then there was a quite spell so I swapped to a cat booby with a BPM. This proved inspired as more and more fish came in. Decided to head home after 20 plus fish but kept catching all the way back to the dock. Another great day fishing to moving fish. If you put your flies in front of them they would have a look. Managed a nice brown or around 3lbs as well on a BPM. Ladybower is turning into one of the premier waters again.
Looking forward to next time out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29
Page 29 of 29

Jump to: