The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Farmoor 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are teasing us Bob.
I may go on Wednesday, I have not made up my mind to chase the mythical Perch or back drift for more trout and try out an idea I have Wink
P
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just when you think you have a handle on some thing it turns around and bites you.
That was the case for me today at Farmoor No1, conditions looked great, the wind was about right but could I get a fish or even one to hang on NO Sad
I was doing something wrong as the other two boats were hooking and landing fish and they were both back drifting as I was.
Flies were changes, leader lengths were altered, flyline was feed out to different lengths and retrieves were altered.

I even tried FABs and Bloobs Embarassed

The day finished with two to the boat which saved my first blank of 2019, I spent the afternoon wondering what Appleman would be doing to catch fish???

Anglers and danglers I guess.
P
Liked by: tenet
tenet
1,000 Post Club
User is Online

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gulp - I'm solo on F1 tomorrow and have been refining my Fosbury flop for disembarking. Will report tomorrow evening.
tenet
1,000 Post Club
User is Online

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fog stopped play. No fishing for me today Sad Sad
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have just heard via a friend who works for a fish supply company that they have just stocked Jack pike, perch and roach into Farmoor.
The predator ticket sales are good so no doubt they are planning for 2019 ticket sales.
As mentioned on here previously, Farmoor is not a natural breading ground for pike and it seems they do not live a very long life there.
P
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sensible move. If you're going to stock a top predator it's a good idea to stick some food in there for them as well. The Farmoor used to have vast shoals of roach. I once saw a shoal at least 10 yards across and hundreds of yards long on F2. I guess the nice little blackbirds have thinned them out.

The weather isn't looking too bad for the club back-drifting jaunt on Sunday.
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A busy day on F2 today. 12 of us turned out which for a club of only 20 members is not too bad. The wind was predominantly S moving round to SW as the day wore on. I was looking forward to trying my new snake creation, but apart from one fish to it caught by my pal at the pointed end, nothing else showed a lot of interest in it. A few modifications needed before it gets wet again.

The fish seemed to be rather well spread out and long drifts usually resulted in maybe one fish to the boat between the two of us. Not going to set the world on fire. I changed the point fly to a black & green booby snake which ended up catching four fish. We found a lot of fish just off the sailing club. If we set up a drift between the tower and one of the blue buoys we could just about guarantee interest from fish. I had 6 on a smaller booby in a violent fuschia colour and when my pal changed to one in a similar colour he ended up with 6. So, 16 to the boat. One of the other club pair had 17 to their boat and another boat had 14. The rest made up with 4's & 5's.
Liked by: tenet, Fryfishing, BristolFlyer
tenet
1,000 Post Club
User is Online

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought - do folk use the Rapala Knot for attaching their snakes and zonkers?
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
Just a thought - do folk use the Rapala Knot for attaching their snakes and zonkers?

I often use the rapala knot when I first tie on a lure or booby, but then usually revert to a blood knot when I change flies because I'm lazy Very Happy
Liked by: JCP
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes for what it is worth, I have been tying a loop knot for a while when fishing boobies, but I am not convinced it makes a lot of difference to how the fly swims, especially snakes.
A snake seems to have a lot of movement through out the fly without the use of a loop knot
Meanwhile when perch fishing (soft plastic lures) with nylon or wire leads I will use the loop knot but as mentioned above it is a right pain when changing flies, lures or hooks.
P
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was keen on the rapala knot until I had a few instances of the fly wearing through my tjppet leaving a small 'hayfork' and no fly. Sad

Admittedly this was when Bass fishing with larger flies and was probably due to to a bad batch of hooks that had a rough finish inside the eye but now apart when I tie a fly direct to knottable wire when pike fishing I just use a tucked half blood knot and can't say I've noticed any difference to my results.

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
tenet
1,000 Post Club
User is Online

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To paraphrase Henry Ford "you can fish with any fly you like as long as it's black" actually a black booby with green eyes or collar - but yours truly fished an entire gambit of colours EXCLUDING black and never had a pull.

Levels on F2 are dropping and the water had what looked like a brown algae stain with visibility down to c4ft. Made drifts all over the place covering varying depths by shortening the line and didn't get a pull let alone a fish. 6 boats out but very few banksmen. Talk on the jetty was that it was tough although a couple of regulars had 4 to the boat and dropped half a dozen, they fished exclusively the SW corner out to the tower all on black and green boobies.

Nice day to be out and my face feels wind burnt. Hoping to get out again next week prior to surgery on my hand for dupuytrens contracture on my little finger. I hate getting old Sad
Liked by: Silver Invicta
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a shame, I am never that sure how or why the fish do not cooperate.
They were obviously not feeding hard or you would have been getting some sort of reaction from them, it does seem that small changes can make a big difference to the catching or catch rate.
Maybe you need to be pulling blobs until your arm ached Shock

Hopefully the fish will be rising in the water soon and we can get back to more civilized tactics.
P

Did you get my P.M ?
tenet
1,000 Post Club
User is Online

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies Peter - for whatever reason it wasn't flagged. Will make contact for boat sharing later in the year. Smile
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
dupuytrens Sad

Vikings disease Doug...! You got the heritage? My maternal line is Grice in west Cumberland (from the Nors, Gris)...

Mother 'Out Law' is a Swan from Annan. Dubious heritage but her pinkies are a real mess... Mine are holding up at this point...
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: