The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer a full lake but low water levels in early season does expose some interesting bank spots. I remember top end at Blagdon fished really well from the bank a few years back, and you can get around the other side of the bay in front of Bob's old house too. Very Happy
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chew in her winter plumage ... with still some way to go before top level.

View towards Woodford Lodge. Are those Foxy's footprints?

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: arkle, lakefisher
malerogue

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Alan....seems bank anglers prefer the lakes down a few feet as more bank space is created.Personally having fished these lakes very regularly for nearly the last 50yrs I do not think it makes any difference to the fishing.
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BristolFlyer wrote:
I would prefer a full lake but low water levels in early season does expose some interesting bank spots.

I can't disagree with that Dave, nor can I take issue with Malerogue's experience but as someone fairly new to boat fishing it does seem to me that many drifts on Chew take longer to weed up and the weed is less dense when the water level remains high than when the water level is low. Confused

Has anyone else got any thoughts on this? Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less weed growth with deeper water in early season ? Totally correct Alan. In deeper water, especially if coloured, much less light reaches the bottom resulting in less photosynthesis happening and the weed growth is curtailed.
Looking at your photo's, it would appear that levels are down by around 2 to 3 feet currently, so we must expect more weed growth earlier this year, if this is not rectified by heavy rain or snow melt quite soon. Rolling Eyes

Tony
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent clip from John Horsey earlier today on FB showing 'millions of gallons of water' pouring into Chew from Herriots nature reserve due to the rapid snow melt and the heavy rain last night. Very Happy

https://www.facebook.com/john.horsey.169/videos/1043712705832892/

Well worth a look! Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: lakefisher
lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "millions of gallons" are certainly needed - I just don't rate the colour Rolling Eyes ....... Tony Wink
Thomas Tom-Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been at Chew yesterday and today (not fishing - park duty and lunch at the Woodford) and the levels didn't look any different to Alan's pictures from a week ago.

I wonder if that impressive video on John H's FB was just a spike in river levels caused by the warm rain melting the snow all at once.

Plenty of pikers out, nice to see Chew with fishing boats on it again. I think things seem to be going OK for the pikers so far..?

EDIT: Having looked again at the Woodford Bank picture it's maybe gone up a foot or so...
Liked by: swampydick
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although there is obviously a correlation between rainfall and water level, another factor is how BW chooses to manage the water in and between their reservoirs. However there's been more heavy rain since Johns clip with more forecast so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see water going over the spillway before the season opens. Smile

According to BWF latest report a Pike weighing 40-2 has been reported. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three weeks until Tanks open. Very Happy

Here is a question for Tanks regulars - do you think particular tactics work better on the different tanks? Have you got a favourite, and why? Do you think water quality and food availability differs? I've got some ideas but very interested to hear from others.

I've noticed a lot more corixa in tank 2, but that may be because they are easier to see in the shallower water on the natural bank. Or does 2 get water direct from Chew so more corixa? I believe the output from the waterworks goes into 3 but not the others, so maybe that makes a difference? That said, I have had red letter sessions standing by the stinky inlet pipe on the W side of three with fish feeding in the bubble lines.

Tank 1 always seems the hardest to me. In ten years trying I've yet to catch on all three tanks in a singe session and it is 1 that has been the tough nut to crack.
swampydick
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three weeks! Can’t wait
I don’t change tactics for different tanks however I will change if I’m on natural bank on 2 where it’s pretty shallow.
I’m not sure on the water quality between tanks but have definitely caught more sticklebacks on number 3 than the other 2 tanks.
Like most people prefer number 3 probably because I have caught fish from all around the tank which I can’t say for the other 2 tanks and I think although a concrete bowl has more features and s little more character.
I think the down side to number 3 is it seems so weed up more than the other 2 and on one occasion last year I found it unfishable but managed to blank on number 1 instead.
I have probably struggled more on number 1 than the others also so maybe one of those 10 inch snakes that you’ve been tying will do the trick.
Liked by: BristolFlyer
Thomas Tom-Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank 3 seems to have loads more sedges than I've seen on the others. You could pick up fistfulls of empty caddis cases from the margins in late season last year. I did wonder if this is why tank 3 has a more reliable evening rise than 1 or 2 (Do others agree that 3 has the best rise?)

BristolFlyer wrote:
Tank 1 always seems the hardest to me.

I'd agree with that. 3 feels most productive. Part of me remains convinced that the inflow at the back of tank 1 should hold loads of fish (moving, deep water. etc..), I always visit if I'm on a wander, but have never caught anything there.

Would be interested to hear how others approach the Tanks tactics wise, I've barely caught anything on nymphs & buzzers (generally use size 14s) and always do best on lures which feels a bit wrong somehow.
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't fish the Tanks as often as I used to since my SatNav showed my a quicker way to get there which took me over the dam at Chew ... and I then find the charms of my 'fickle mistress' too great to resist. Embarassed Laughing

Bearing that in mind, I think the fact that No.2 has a natural bank offering relatively shallow water as well as deep water on the roadside bank makes it my overall favourite.

Lure tactics seem to be do best on all of them in March but once the Buzzers start to hatch in April I have had some very enjoyable sessions fishing a team of 3 on a floating line from the roadside bank on No.2. Early on I fish a beadhead buzzer on the point to get the team down deep and glue buzzers later as the weed begins to grow. Best tactic is to cast out and then let them drift around in the wind with just enough retrieve to stay in touch. Takes are sometimes obvious although as often as not they can be really subtle so you have to stay sharp. Any line movement - strike! Later on the dries come into their own especially when the weed starts to approach the surface and I've found the usual Bits and Hoppers work but some of my favourite sessions have been during the back end fishing lures on intermediates off the natural bank. Blondie and I have had some cracking back end sessions on No.2 although it was a few years ago now. Cool

I also like No.3 and there is not much to choose between them, with No.1 being my least favourite because I feel it has the least accessible banks. I have only ever caught the odd fish on No.1 but it did produce my best fish from the Tanks a few seasons ago, a beautiful 5lb plus Brownie on a #12 Black Buzzer fishing from the slipway by the inflow. Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

swampydick
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think tank 3 probably does have a bigger sedge hatch than the others, but don’t know if that means it has better fish rises than the others, I guess it must do!
Tactics for me is pretty much same as Alan, I love fishing buzzers on a long leader with a strike indicator, although you do have to stretch your arms a bit landing fish.
I haven’t fished opening day for a few years but very often it’s the buzzer that’s doing the business over lures.
I’ve seen quite a lot of different tactics used at the tanks including a guy with beach caster Also some chap sat on a creal with 2 rods ledgering with bite indicatirs😱 also couple polish guys with spinning rods.
Makes me feel ok with myself using a thingymabobber.
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the BWF fish farm has been doing a very good job over the winter! Plenty of fish over 3lb with some approaching 4lb are ready to go in apparently! Shock Cool

Also sounds like there might be a chance to have a look behind the scenes .... and perhaps see some of them go in? Smile

Not long now, guys! Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: arkle, BristolFlyer
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 2 of 23

Jump to: