The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Which sinking lines do you use most on reservoirs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Which sinking lines do you use most on reservoirs? Reply with quote

I was just wondering what type of sinking lines you use most on the reservoirs for trout where you fish ?

Over the years I seem to have accumulated a full set of densities although some of them are very rarely used so I was wondering what others find?

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a slow intermediate as you know. Very Happy Also:

Fast intermediate that I use on big lakes earlier in the season. Can work great with a buoyant point fly and nymphs on droppers when fish are about 6-8 foot down.

Medium sinker - hardly ever use this one but probably should as it is dark brown and casts well. Maybe good for fishing small lures deep at the tanks.

Di5 - I've been using this for fishing lures in the Autumn and back drifting at Farmoor. It is bright blue with orange markers - I have been thinking about dying the last 15 foot a more sombre greenish brown colour as I usually use quite short leaders and the bright line probably puts the residents off.

That is it - I have resisted the urge to get a Di9 or 'Booby basher' so far Very Happy
Liked by: Allrounder
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to use slow glass mostly as I generally fish from the bank. If i need to fish deeper I just wait longer. More control on the retrieve and less likely to snag up on shelves and ledges near the edge. Will occasionally reach for a di3 but much prefer the slow glass.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting thoughts here : https://www.troutfisherman.co.uk/fishing-tips/tackle/articles/using-the-right-sinking-line-to-find-the-feeding-zone-
Liked by: BristolFlyer
swampydick
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fast sinker which I use for bouncing boobys along the deck early doors,
And a medium inter I use when it’s a bit choppy. Not a fan of casting the fast sinker so just purchased a greys gr50 which has a bit more backbone than my other sticks.

Cheers mike
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only ever seem to use an intermediate, Di3, DI7 & DI6.
The last two are 99% back drifting lines for me and the others get an outing when I think I need to be a bit deeper than a floating line which is always a first choice for everyday fishing.
That link that Doug added was interesting but I can not say fishing a DI7 and ripping it back with blobs sounds much like a fun days fishing, but then I am not a competitive match man.

I remember that Mick Bewick wrote an article about bank fishing at Farmoor with a DI7 and two bobbies, he said the method would be, cast out and start a slow retrieve as soon as the line hits the water.
By doing this you could work the flies through the layers and find out where the fish were feeding.
I have tried this from the bank on No2 and it works for me.
Very Happy
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HThat link that Doug added was interesting but I can not say fishing a DI7 and ripping it back with blobs sounds much like a fun days fishing, but then I am not a competitive match man. 

Not only that Peter but I would have great difficulty casting a 20ft leader with 2 non aerodynamic flies without creating a birdsnest. Whatever floats your boat as they say Smile
Liked by: Fryfishing, Allrounder
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year I will try some sinking tip lines and see what the fuss is about.
P
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:
This year I will try some sinking tip lines and see what the fuss is about.
P

I use a sinking tip early season, but it is only a two foot one from a cut down 5 foot sinking leader. I like it as it allows me to get buzzers and nymphs down deep without having to use really heavy hooks
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great replies guys, and a very interesting link from Doug. The Blob quote ' .... it’s worth mentioning the retrieve, which at times should be as fast as possible. If your arms don’t ache at the end of a session, you are not fishing them fast enough' gave me a good chuckle. Laughing Not sure what Arthur Cove would have made of it all. Rolling Eyes

My choices were the same as Fossil Fish when I fished mainly from the bank but there days my most used sinker is the D7 for back drifitng at Farmoor and Perch fishing during the back end on Chew. Next would be my D5 Sweep line or my Fast Glass intermediate according to where the the fish are in the water column. I have a D3 Sweep line but I don't feel it is that different to my Fast Glass to be honest so it rarely gets an outing these days.

Probably my favourite line for fishing my flies a little deeper than a floater last season was my SKB Midge Tip.

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: Fryfishing
Appleman
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry a range of proper deep sinkers.

Di7, Di7 40+, Di8 Booby Basher and a Cortland Di9....Winter months or for the high temps in summer mostly.

Going higher in the water, Di5, Di5 Sweep, Di5 40+, Di3, Di3 Sweep, Di3 40+....Load of lines higher than that as well.

Favourites are still a floater, 3ft and 6ft tips
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: