The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Taking the plunge

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Coarse Fishing Discussion -> General Coarse
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Taking the plunge Reply with quote

I blame Matt Hayes and Martin Bowler reruns on Discovery Shed, but I have become increasingly interested in trying my hand at fishing for species other than trout and salmon.

I just spent 6 days up in Cheshire staying right next to the Shropshire Union canal. I took a couple of floats, shot, and bought a few size 20 hook lengths and a bag of frozen maggots. I grabbed an hour here and there when family commitments allowed, and I must say I really enjoyed the fishing. It reminded of my first experiences fishing in estuaries when I was a lad. The float gives something to concentrate on, a lot like fishing dries for trout. I didn't catch anything very big, but that is probably a good thing on my trout rod!

I am now thinking seriously about investing in a proper float rod and investigating some of the canals and ponds near me in N Somerset. I've got no interest in carp fishing or bivvying up for a session, but covering a lot of ground and prospecting for chub, perch and roach is really appealing.

The fact that my local club has an annual membership of 28 and the nearest water is less than a mile from my front door is another bonus!
Liked by: fossil-fish, springwell, Whistlekiller, Fryfishing
springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it!!!

I jumped the fence last year, I hadn't coarse fished properly since 1976!

Couple of last years fish.

Makes for a nice change, particularly carp on the fly rod.

There's plenty of good budget rods and reels available too, so no need to spend a fortune on gear.

Liked by: BristolFlyer
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking back through past threads in this section and was wondering how you got on Bill Very Happy

And it looks sunny in those pictures! Cool
trout
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still do a bit of coarse fishing, not that I've caught a chub for a very long time!!
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching a bung is as good as watching a waggler Laughing

Try drop shotting with some real worms it is a great way to spend a couple of hours, no special kit needed.
P
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Coarse Fishing Discussion -> General Coarse All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: