The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Not a Float Tube

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Float Tubing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Not a Float Tube Reply with quote

BUT.
I have bought a Kayak for fishing Very Happy
Its a Galaxy Cruz, which I plan to use on the canal, Thames and reservoirs.
There are some safety courses in my area which I want to do and I am also looking for some one in the area to go out on the water with for some fishing???
I need to get some safety equipment and a roof rack before my first voyage.
I can not wait.

Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very frustrating time Sad .
It has been great fun creating things to fit to the Kayak, including fitting my old Lowrance fish finder plus an anchor trolley.
This included drilling holes in it which made me very twitchy but with the help of YouTube the job is a good one.

So far the only issue I have found with this budget kayak is the lack of flat surfaces in front of the seat to mount things, it does have a lot of pre threaded areas that I can mount Railblaza connectors to so that is no doubt the way to go.

I have done quite a bit of research on where I can fish with it as a lone Kayak and have found that Ravensthorpe will allow me out on my own Very Happy, so I guess other reservoirs that allow float tubes may be the same ( any suggestions)

The down side is I still have about three weeks before my op wound heals enough for me to be able to put it on and take it off the roof rack on the car.
My friend across the road has said he will help me load and unload it so I may get my first outing in before 2019.

My total out lay so far is about £375 .
P
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:
This is a very frustrating time Sad .
It has been great fun creating things to fit to the Kayak, including fitting my old Lowrance fish finder plus an anchor trolley.
This included drilling holes in it which made me very twitchy but with the help of YouTube the job is a good one.

So far the only issue I have found with this budget kayak is the lack of flat surfaces in front of the seat to mount things, it does have a lot of pre threaded areas that I can mount Railblaza connectors to so that is no doubt the way to go.

I have done quite a bit of research on where I can fish with it as a lone Kayak and have found that Ravensthorpe will allow me out on my own Very Happy, so I guess other reservoirs that allow float tubes may be the same ( any suggestions)

The down side is I still have about three weeks before my op wound heals enough for me to be able to put it on and take it off the roof rack on the car.
My friend across the road has said he will help me load and unload it so I may get my first outing in before 2019.

My total out lay so far is about £375 .
P

It's not necessarily the case that reservoirs that allow float tubes will also allow kayaks. Severn Trent are very fussy about where they allow kayaks and usually it's only where it's reqarded as a sport in its own right (alongside sailing) and not connected with fishing. I believe Toft Newton allows them for fishing but best check with Andy Hutson who runs the place.

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Liked by: Fryfishing
RogB
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think you can fly fish from a kayak on Wimbleball if you are down Exmoor way. The Bristol boys could probably fill you in. I kayak fish on S devon coast but with lures currently, fly fishing is on the to do list Very Happy
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Both.
I will look into those options.
I do not think my little kayak would be up to sea fishing off shore, plus I don't have the experience other wise It would go to Cornwall with me on our next trip down there.
P
RogB
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

yes you need something about 13'+ to give a good amount of speed and glide, little kayaks zig zag a lot and you will struggle in a tide or unexpected breeze. You should practice getting on and off it. Safety courses are a good idea when starting out. Warm weather helps immensely!

Roger
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first trip out with the help of Tony my neighbor for a paddle (but not fishing) on a calm canal with no wind.
The fish finder works well and the extras I have added seem at first outing looks and feels right.
It is surprising how big a narrow boat looks from a kayak.

Very happy
Very Happy
Liked by: Whistlekiller, lakefisher
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Float Tubing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: