The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Safari
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

continued from above ......

Always keen to taste local food when overseas & the night market in Koh Samui amongst several different
things tried grilled skewers of crickets, silk worms & grasshoppers ( locasts were out of season ) .... they were
nice & crispy but not a lot of flavour but apparently are very nutritious to the extent they may well be the salvation
as the world population continues to expand towards worldwide food shortages. Also tried durian again for the
second time which is reputed by many to be delicious but smell terrible to the extent many hotels have signs in the
lobby stating "No Durians past this point" which before knowing what they were thought "Wow that is definitely a
racist policy" as presumed it referred to a nationality. Must say on both occasions I have tasted durian I have not
noticed any particular objectionable odour ... maybe they had been treated or my sense of smell is not acute enough.

As mentioned a fishing charter trip was once again in common with many overseas destinations was very disappointing
& far from that shown on their promotional advertising material, with the first alarm bells sounding on noticing the size
of the tiny hooks on the rods provided. Nevertheless was a pleasant enough trip out at sea even if the fishing was pathetic
with only about seven or eight reef fish averaging 200 mm or less caught between about 20 anglers, nevertheless most
of the customers, even those that caught zilch appeared happy with the results & in particular an Asian guy who caught a
200 mm "monster" continued to relive the event constantly in between getting his buddy to take endless photos. The only
fish I caught I threw back as was only about 200 mm but in doing so earned the ire of the captain & deckhand who obviously
considered any fish regardless of size should be kept.

Having a monkey on your shoulder that would scarper up a coconut tree to fetch a coconut for you proved far more productive.

To be cont ......

Last edited by Bazza on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were surprised to see how much building is going on in Bangkok & the variations of architecture.

As for the airport it is gianormous & is about to be tripled in size. Considering the length of the river boats
cannot help but wonder how they manage to turn them around.

The wiring in certain less developed areas is rather primitive however what we assumed were power cables
apparently are internet cables.

Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The past month or so has been more of the usual regards fishing with the normal number of mishaps such
as Vinnie having his wagon stuck on a log on our way out over the sand dunes, after whitebaiting but were
"rescued" by obliging locals who towed us out.

An opportunity emerged for a group of four us that worked together nigh on 50 years ago but meantime kinda
lost touch to meet up for a reunion of sorts .... namely myself, Rod, Rods brother LLoyd & long lost Fritz who as
it happens now lives in a town, close to the Whakapapa river, where we regularly fish.

I drove the motorhome down on Tuesday enjoying several hours fishing then Rod & Lloyd arrived late afternoon
on Wednesday & once more I had managed to slot in several hours fishing prior to their arrival. Some of the fish
landed, particularly the browns were in reasonable condition with attractive colouring but would begin to turn
darkish after an hour or two for some reason.

We had a few (well more than a few actually) drinkies after settling in before enjoying a meal of roast chicken.

The sky was looking very ominous & adverse weather was forecast so was fortuitous the awning was up when a deluge
began & awning runoff provided a steady water supply also a pre rinse facility for the dishes.

Apparently there had been a rather severe earthquake that afternoon in the area we were in so text messages began coming
in to see if we were OK or even more dramatically had survived however in actual fact none of us had felt a thing although
Fritz next day said his wife had experienced quite a shake at their home.

Thursday late arvo Fritz arrived as arranged & after greetings & much back slapping, we all toasted the occasion with a bottle of
bubbly where upon the stories & reminiscing began to flow amongst much laughter. We had oysters pre dinner then a meal of
white bait fritters, prawns, fish fillet & freshly dug new potatoes accompanied by the beverage of individual preference.

Was a great time obviously enjoyed by all including Manuel a local identity who joined us later in the evening who was able to
contribute some great insights & interchange into the history of the area etc. which we all enjoyed & pretty sure he did as well.

Next morning we departed in our respective vehicles but would not have been a normal trip without a drama or two & this time
was no exception. Firstly could not find the spare set of keys for the motorhome, about a dozen in total of all sorts of peculiar
shapes & configurations that would be a nightmare to have replicas cut. Had arranged to meet Vinnie for a couple of days whitebaiting
staying overnight in the motorhome. At 3 20 am next morning I had the thought that the keys could be in my fishing backpack or
alternatively the front pack. Could not get back to sleep pondering on the possibility so the only option was to check if they were but
things only became worse when I could not find either of the packs .... oh such are the joys of getting old ! Figured might as well go
back to sleep as nothing could be done about the situation so put it down to rapidly encroaching senility & fell asleep.

Had a good day whitebaiting & Vinnie had prepared a tasty pre cooked curry.

Fished the next day as well albeit was not as productive as the previous day. We set off for home mid arvo but I had to stop for a rest
as was ultra tired & at risk of dozing off at the wheel. On arriving home there were two messages, one saying my packs had been packed
in error into Lloyds' car & the other a call from Manuel to say he had found the motorhome keys which was all the more amazing considering
he found them where the motorhome was parked that three of us had thoroughly searched every square mm ... or so we thought.

That was two problems resolved but after a very mediocre days fishing Tues with the chart plotter & sonar malfunctioning the anchor winch
refused to work on the final haul so am now faced with having to try to fix it ... hoping it will not be anything too serious & only be a loose
connection or suchlike ... even so will still need dismantling which is fairly tricky.

Whoever defined a boat as being a "hole in the water that you pour money into" was bang on!
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The previous mptorhome carried a 10 ft. aluminium boat vertically on the back, so set off with the idea of doing likewise on
the new one. However it soon became obvious that the same arrangement would not be practical this time round as rear vision
would be obscured with both the mirrors & rear camera. Therefore after much deliberation decided an inflatable boat, if space
could be made to store it internally might be the best option. Thereafter followed much deliberation on how best to fit everything
in conveniently & to this end the local Burnsco & in particular the young lady manager were very obliging regards taking endless
measurements & even a test packing. It was eventually established that space, at best would be very marginal nevertheless it was
decided to purchase the 3 mtr inflatable in the hope a refit of the existing storage space would achieve the desired result.

The next step was to rip out all of the rear seating, bed & structure in order to facilitate a customised refit. Although onever small exterior
panel door existed it had been realised another much larger one would need to be fitted on the opposite side so as to create a storage
"tunnel" with ready access. What had not been realised however is what a major task that would be as not only did it need to align with
the smaller door opposite, but also the maximum size was determined by the space between the coach work steel framing. It was a tricky
situation but somehow or another managed to get things to work albeit with less than a mm to spare.

Was feeling rather pleased with myself having overcome that hurdle when a mini disaster occurred that would considerably upset the work
schedule .... namely ..... had a reversing camera fitted but unknown to me it had a left/right mirror function even tho imo it defies reason
to think of any possible use it might be to be able to view in a reverse image. Nevertheless it does have such a function which some how or
another had been switched over meaning as I was backing out to the road it was showing plenty of clearance but of course that was the other
side that was showing on the screen, consequently hit the corner of the spouting on the house gouging a cut in the bodywork of the luton
area of the motorhome.

Was a lengthy process of trial & error but amazingly enough all the floor panels as well as the oars, pump & trolley were made to squeeze into
the storage under one of the bunks.

With just enough space left to individually store the oak dining table ( made from two single re shaped bed ends ) & pole.

Space to store the motor & miscellaneous fishing gear, tackle, rods etc.

Motor in storage box

Have purchased a largish storage box to be fixed to the rear & supported off the tow bar to carry things such as fuel, anchor,
rope, 2 stroke oil, freshwater flushing buckets etc.

m/forum/

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75
Page 75 of 75

Jump to: