The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Latex Glue

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Fly Tying Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Latex Glue Reply with quote

This is a long video, I was watching it looking for tips on improving my Perch fishing fly patterns.
Then Daniel throws in the latex glue to stick the eyes on, it looks like Copydex.
I was using epoxy resin and then switched too U.V gel to secure eyes on flies.
Does anyone use latex glues?
Plus I am always looking for the perfect ( on the day) bait fish pattern for Perch fishing( maybe trout as well) does anyone have any recommendations.
Cheers
Ff
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either epoxy or a polyurethane glue like "Gorilla" or Fletchtite (original !) are the best things to use for the eyes, as almost any form of super-glue will break down in water as will Copydex types.

If you're looking to have a mouldable type of body, then clear silicone glazing mastic sealant is the biz, but you must have some clean water to hand & maybe a few assorted artist's brushes. Buy a pack of nozzles as well, so you can control the flow-rate with different sized holes
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Liked by: Fryfishing
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The glue I was looking for is called Tear Mender, spotted it on a U.S video, it's the same stuff the Swidish tiers use and is available via eBay.
I think I may need to revisit some of my Perch fry flies.
Ff
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use various forms of eyes on all my home tied pike flies. The glue I use currently, which has given me good service, is "Serious Glue by Evo Stik" It allows repositioning for up to 3 minutes and is fully hardened in 2 hours - a thick layer will form a flexible transparent bond.

HTH ...... Tony Wink
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Tony, the Tear Mend is left to cure over night.
Where did you get the Serious Glue from ? Or is it as they say on the telly "available at all good hard ware shops"
Ff
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Serious Glue. Very Happy

You can find it in B&Q for around 6 or on ebay here for 4.95. You can also get a small 5 g tube on ebay for 2.99 if you want to try it first. Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: lakefisher
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you say Ff, "available at all good hard ware shops" Wink Also on "the Bay"

Not cheap, (around 4+ for a tube) - but you only need a small blob per side and its very effective - If Pike with their 700 teeth cannot shift the eyes on my flies - Perch will have no chance Laughing

What helps me is that I can reposition my fly/lever vice to enable it to lie level as I attach each eye in turn - or just lie them on your bench to position your eyes.
Just need a small blob of serious glue on the fly and then push the eye into the glue.
If you need a heavier head, let the eyes set, then cover what is required with a second denser coat, spreading it with a cocktail stick or similar - Serious glue dries transparent, so you can use it over your eyes to protect them, and at the same time, make your fly sink head first. Wink

HTH ...... Tony Cool

PS - Cheers Alan - helpful links - and you also type quicker than me Laughing
Liked by: Fryfishing
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony, just bought some from B&Q.
I am off to the states in May so will buy some Tear Mend over there were it is considerably cheaper. I also have a Bass Pro Shop visit planned so the credit card will be take a hammering Very Happy
Liked by: lakefisher
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick update on this thread.

I bought a tube of Copydex for other jobs around the house Very Happy and decided to give it a try attaching the eyes to the flies.
Tearmender has the advantage of soaking into and around the fibers of craft fur and buck tail (according to the experts) and therefore fixing the eyes to a better base??????
Well the Copydex also seems to do that and means the eyes can be re positioned before it sets, the down side is that it takes a good five to ten minutes to set depending on room temp.
Once it has dried clear I have then been giving it another coat to double secure everything.

The thing I like the most about it is the finished fly has a soft head as the Copydex dries with a flexible finish.
The flies I am tying are for Perch and trout on a size 6 B175, I am not sure how the head and eyes would withstand Pikes teeth, but the YouTube tiers ARE tying for Pike and recommending Tearmender which looks like a USA version of Copydex.
If you have a tube of Copydex try it and let me know what you think.
P

Go to 18.24 on the vid, he uses UV resin to mold/shape the head not to secure the eyes.

Link

Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left is copydex, right UV resin.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Fly Tying Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: