The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malerogue

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
malerogue wrote:
Chew has been heavily stocked(more so than Blagdon) for the last month and throughout the hot spell. I suggest the negative posters on this forum get out and find out for themselves instead of waiting for genuine anglers telling them it is fishing well.

Your probably right malerogue but indifferent catches at the big comp the other week, little or no reports from BWF re catches and conditions and faced with a 90 mile round trip one does wonder if my hard earned (well pension) is going to be well spent. Conversely Blagdon has had good reports via the forum and social media and as such seems to be fully booked most days.

Not quite sure what a genuine angler looks like Confused

Weekly reports are useful but thats what they are....a week out of date and therefore serve only as an indicator. I would much prefer a daily blog so that visiting anglers are well prepared as to what to expect. I also would expect BW staff to point visitors to the best areas as a matter of courtesy when they purchase a ticket.
Genuine anglers accept that conditions can sometimes be against them and a limit bag is not guaranteed however accomplished. Personally I do not feel challenged when everybody is catching limits sat on shoals of fresh stock.
malerogue

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
malerogue wrote:
Chew has been heavily stocked(more so than Blagdon) for the last month and throughout the hot spell. I suggest the negative posters on this forum get out and find out for themselves instead of waiting for genuine anglers telling them it is fishing well.

Your probably right malerogue but indifferent catches at the big comp the other week, little or no reports from BWF re catches and conditions and faced with a 90 mile round trip one does wonder if my hard earned (well pension) is going to be well spent. Conversely Blagdon has had good reports via the forum and social media and as such seems to be fully booked most days.

Not quite sure what a genuine angler looks like Confused

Weekly reports are useful but thats what they are....a week out of date and therefore serve only as an indicator. I would much prefer a daily blog so that visiting anglers are well prepared as to what to expect. I also would expect BW staff to point visitors to the best areas as a matter of courtesy when they purchase a ticket.
Genuine anglers accept that conditions can sometimes be against them and a limit bag is not guaranteed however accomplished. Personally I do not feel challenged when everybody is catching limits sat on shoals of fresh stock.
Appleman
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

malerogue wrote:

As a non-genuine Angler, I’m on Rutland for 4 days fishing in the AWAI Final.... 😜

If Bristol Water want customers, they need to tell people about the fishing....Their sporadic catch reports have been flagged up plenty of times on here. The BRFFA have mentioned it on a number of occasions as well. Their promotion of trout fishing isn’t great. If it was, folk wouldn’t moan about it.

If the likes of Draycote plus others can piblish catch report EVERY week, then so can our local waters. It’s a bare minimum.
Liked by: arkle, Noob
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afternoon boat on Chew yesterday - arrived to a nice gentle breeze with excellent water quality. John Harris pointed me to the dam end or perhaps Wick. There were about 6 or 8 boats anchored along the shoreline from the Yacht club thru Walley so headed South for Wick. Set a drift along the shore as best I could as the breeze had now turned a little fresher. Had a pearl holo cruncher on the point with red holo db's on the droppers. Not long into the drift and had a good take which led me a merry dance on my #6. At 1st I thought a pike as it stayed deep but it was in fact a beautiful brownie around the 5lb mark. Picture not that good as I was keen to get it back and the hook was firmly embedded in his jaw which took what seemed an age to release.

The next fish was a 2lb rainbow that was well damaged by a pike but then I hit a purple patch taking a 41/2lb and a 3 3/4lb fish both of which took me into the backing.

Had a look over on Moreton with a drift across Herons to the stones without a touch so tracked down to the dam end which was only occupied by 1 or 2 boats the rest having taken an early bath. Mayhem - I took 3 stockies and pricked 2 or 3 more within half an hour. Real fiesty little beasties.

The wind had really picked up making life uncomfortable and as I had had a really good day headed for home hoping to be greeted by a ranger - not to be so a very dodgy disembark at the jetty. So ds law he turned up just as I got my kit to the shore Sad

So if you want to fill your boots then the dam basin is the place to be but there are better fish to be had elsewhere.

Cheers - Doug
Liked by: arkle, Allrounder, blondie, mc07fly
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Doug! Cool

Sounds like it is fishing just as I like it with something for everyone. Nice Brownie! Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a solo boat on Chew today and it was a lovely day compared with yesterday. There was some early morning mist covering the lake as I came over the Mendips but it was already starting to clear by the time I arrived ...

Given the lack of wind I decided to fish deep for Perch to begin on the D7 and various boobies and lures but locating them was a problem. The water was very clear by the jetties and I didn't see any fry at all, although the Ranger said there were two 'monster' Perch lurking nearby earlier in the morning. I tried there, out by the cages, in front of the Sailing Club and down by 'Sea Breeze' (the anchored cabin boat) but by 1pm I never had a single pull or follow. Sad

Word was that the trout guys had done very well off Walley for stockies and over by Stratfords and Wick for some better fish during the morning so I decided to give Wick a go in the afternoon on a washing line set up on the #5weigh. There were a few boats over there but I only saw one angler pull out of a fish while I was there so I decided to join the multitude of boats playing dodgem cars at Walley for the last couple of hours. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Luckily it seemed that most of the trout boats had filled their boots by the time I arrived at Walley so I only had to share the area with two other boats. I was expecting to catch fairly quickly but after a while I started to wonder if I would be facing a dreaded blank. Then I saw local BRFFA stalwart Jerry Rowe wade out from the bank and promptly catch a couple of fish which confirmed my suspicion that they were closer in than I was, and that proved to be the case. Once I covered the fish it was a pull almost every other cast but getting them to hang on was another matter entirely. In the end I netted 5 and lost at least as many on the way in and that's not counting the pulls that didn't stick. Cool

So a great way to end an enjoyable day on the water. A shame that the Perch didn't want to play this morning but the last hour or so more than made up for it. Very Happy

Until next time ... Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: lakefisher, arkle, tenet, blondie, mc07fly
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Nice one, Alan" & a cracking photo.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Liked by: Allrounder
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report Al - apart from Walley I didn't see a fish break the surface all afternoon. I took all of my fish on straight nymphs with a fluro leader and an undressed furled leader so fishing a couple of feet down. The ones i took for the table were full of corixa,hoglice and tiny snails and mostly came to pearly crunchers. The fish off Walley were very high in the water and gave good sport to a dibbled top dropper notwithstanding blustery conditions and 2ft waves at the bottom of the wind Sad
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only saw perhaps two fish rise between Wick and Stratford and they didn't want my various combinations of Crunchers and DBs fished either straight or on a WL rig with a small Booby on the point. Apparently the top boats were making hay in the morning off Walley fishing sink tips with attractors like Blobs on the top dropper with nymphs below but it was quiet for me until the last hour or so when there was a rise of sorts, with a few small green flies coming off.

Most of my fish came to a #14 green DB on a WL and as I said location was everything. Once I moved 20 yards closer to the bank I started getting pulls and the fish really did go like trains! Cool

Also worth noting that Walley has been fishing well from the bank for some time now with regular limit bags by no means unusual. Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: swampydick
swampydick
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank 3 tonight levels down low,water crystal clear no weed and full of fish.
Took 5 fish to db’s and appetiser fished slow, dropped loads of fish and missed lots of pulls.
I’m told it’s been fishing like that all week with regulars and mousers bagging up.
Definitely best trip to the tanks this year.
Fish not that big but punch above there weight for sure.

Cheers mike
Liked by: Allrounder, Thomas Tom-Thomas
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Mike, and you fully deserve your good fortune after fishing the Tanks on a day like today! Shock Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

Thomas Tom-Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a few hours free in the middle of the day today so decided to brave Chew in the rain. Lots of very chocolatey water, surprising amounts of wind and very little doing in the way of fish.

Tried washing line and straight line nymphs to absolutely no interest along Walley and Woodford. The wind made it difficult to fish these properly so I figured as it was October I'd try a Humongous. Still not much doing and time was nearly up, so as I final gambit I waded out along the "Railtrack" feature close to the dam. I was well out from the bank so the water was a bit clearer here and a few casts in I hooked up to what turned out to be my best fish of the season. Weird looking thing. Totally silver with a dark brown back, long and lean and probably knocking on the door of four pounds. Had to leave just after.

There were a few regulars about who told me that Wick had switched on (until the winds came). Maybe worth a look if anyone's venturing out later in the week.

Also saw a guy fishing with a trout spey which looked like a very cool way to fish.
Liked by: swampydick, Allrounder, tenet
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas Tom-Thomas wrote:
... Totally silver with a dark brown back, long and lean and probably knocking on the door of four pounds. .

Well done, Tom. Sounds like a naturalised Rainbow. I've occasionally had Brownies around the same size on the opposite bank by the picnic area at this time of year but they were unmistakable in their autumn colours. Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

Thomas Tom-Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:

Well done, Tom. Sounds like a naturalised Rainbow. I've occasionally had Brownies around the same size on the opposite bank by the picnic area at this time of year but they were unmistakable in their autumn colours. Very Happy

Yes, although this was a trout that was brown, it was not a Brown Trout. Still haven't managed to weedle one out. Just worked out how to upload a picture so here's the Beige Rainbow

tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks as if it had a lucky escape from a Pike Shock - perhaps its internal organs have been damaged thus unable to feed/digest properly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 37 of 43

Jump to: