The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Montanajoe's Ramblings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishing days out with Iain have become so regular for me in the last few years that it's sometimes difficult to remember which ones are which and who caught on what and where. This is where a blog like this can come in so handy! It's got to the point where I often put flies on that I think won't catch, just to see if they do....... Very Happy

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Ladybower 25 August Reply with quote

At long last a day back out fishing. Conditions looked good with a steady breeze with intermittent cloud cover. Started with a Di3 with a damsel and ILB. First half hour was non existent until I hooked up with a fish near the wheely boat buoy an a damsel. Swapped over the floater with damsel, diawl and coral blob. Cast it out and let it sit just keeping in contact. This proved pretty effective and fish came steadily and regularly to the damsel and blob. Stopped for a cup of tea with 16 or so fish, but none of the bigger fish were showing. After a cuppa and chat I decided to fish deeper to try and lure some of the bigger fish so set up with a Di5 and made my way back out again. Sport was noticeably slower as I was fishing below the fish but still had some sport. The fish would hit you hard and you thought you had a decent fish on until it jumped. Had another 5 to this method before a call from Rich WK pulled me off the water so I could be filled in on his Mediterranean catches and all the great seafood which wasn’t really fair for someone starving hungry. Another good day out.
Liked by: Allrounder, Whistlekiller
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top angling Iain. Cool

Are there any sessions when you don't catch double figures? Laughing Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Ladybower 8 September Reply with quote

Another good day in prospect at Ladybower. Cloudy with a fine drizzle and light breeze gave you a good sense of optimism. There were 12 other float tubes out along with the majority of the boats. I arrived late as usual and lots of fish were being caught as I made my way out. I opted to start with a claret hopper and a dry daddy. I rose two fish on the daddy without a hookup so it was time to go sub surface. A floater with a damsel, diawl bach and coral blop was my method of choice. A short while later a smallish rainbow took the blob. Then I hit into a good fish which took a fair bit of getting in. It later went to 5 ½ lbs. Fish just kept coming in 3s and 4s almost all to the blob so I put an orange blob on in place of the damsel to increase my chances. The fish seemed to want to follow today, ignoring a static or slowly fished flies. A lot of fish took on the hang. I also tried dries again with no luck and a Di3 where I caught one fish as I looked for one of the real biggies a bit deeper. The fish however were high in the water and a switch back to the floater was rewarded again. I was losing count of the fish and everyone else appeared to be joining in on the bonanza of fish. I finished early and must have had around 20 or so fish to the net all to the blobs. Other anglers were catching on montanas and nymphs but I had nothing on any of my imitative patterns.

ladybower fisheries
Liked by: Allrounder
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Ladybower 7 October Reply with quote

Another cracking day on Ladybower awaited. I arrived late as usual and after setting up with a floater with coral blob, diawl and ILB and intermediate with a coral blob and damsel booby. Fish were moving straight off so on with the floater. Amazingly I had 3 offers and one fish to a damsel after about an hour. A change of tactics was needed. After a quick cuppa I swapped to a sunburst blob but still nothing to speak off. The wind started to pick up a little so on with the intermediate. After 6 casts I had one fish and 2 follows to the damsel booby. I swapped the blob for an ILB booby and started to catch a few and had great fun as they were up for chasing in the waves. A hectic spell followed where I eventually landed 19 and had numerous follows and takes which came off. It’s so much fun when you see them lock on to your flies early. About 3pm decided to call it a day and went home and rehung the doors on the summer house and gave them a coat of paint.
A productive and fun day.
Liked by: Allrounder, lakefisher, Officer Clipboard
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that Ladybower is still fishing its socks off! Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: Whistlekiller
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Ladybower 20 October Reply with quote

Planned to fish from my trusty tube but on arrival I was to fish with Matt (rubbertail) Davis. It was a good day with a little breeze and intermittent cloud cover. Fish were showing all over the place and I tackled up with an intermediate and two boobies and a floater with a damsel and two other flies. Started on the inter and it was a bit slow although I managed one fish to the ILB booby but not as good as it should have been with the amount of fish showing. A few changes brought a fish to a damsel before a swap to the floater. Nothing much was showing interest so off with the damsel and on with a Tequila blob. Almost like switching on the blob produced lots of interest with follows, hits and boils but with a very low hook-up rate. Sport continued at a regular pace with lots of interest and the odd fish making the net, a few falling off after what appeared like a solid hook-up. This pattern continued although the hook-up rate did improve slightly. Fish were well spread out with no particular areas in favour. After Matt reluctantly succumbed to a blob he also started to get some sport with similar results. I finished up with 20 to the net which could easily have been double, mostly to the blob but a hare’s ear booby garnered a fair share of interest fished static. The highlight for me was Matt and this one fish which appeared to follow his flies behind the boat. Matt’s pet fish must have taken him at least six times without hooking up. I’ve never seen a fish so persistent and not be caught. There were some good catches, mostly on different methods; boobies, FABS and dries. The rod average was 8.5, not bad at all.
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Willington 4 November Reply with quote

Took the tube out to Willington. I started with a Di7 and shuggy and had a couple of knocks before I hit into a solid fish which turned out to be a lovely brown of around 4lbs. There was a lot of fish but they were close in and the bank anglers were having good sport. There were a few fish at the back of the island and I soon hooked another solid fish which spun the tube around a few times, a nice 3lb rainbow. A swap to a Di3 proved unproductive so it was back to the Di7 for me and I got another rainbow on a blob. Fish started to show, and the bank anglers were having some success on intermediates and floaters, but nothing for me unless I went deeper. I managed another couple of rainbows before deciding to call it a day after an unsuccessful tour of the lake. There are some good fish around at the moment with a few between 5 and 7lbs being caught.
Liked by: Whistlekiller, Allrounder
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Willington 24 November Reply with quote

Attended a working party to open up more pegs/swims along the Trent Bank at Willington. It’s always good to meet new people and put faces to names. The weather held up nicely and we made good progress along the afr side.

A lovely cup of home made chicken soup was most welcome supplied with a smile by Keith Neal.

Decided to have a float around in the tube afterwards as I was trying out another sinking line. So a white booby with a black & green tadpole (as recommended by Bruce who had managed 8 before the working party) was my setup with a Di5.

Started poorly with lots of taps and a few lock ups and lost fish before I eventually landed one, a nice blue, on the booby. Another really good rainbow followed to the booby, one of the best rainbows I’ve had anywhere outside Ladybower which took some getting in. Another 3 good rainbows came to the net, along with the usual taps and lost fish making 5 for the session, until I hooked up on a snag and lost the leader and flies, a signal to head off home.

A few fish had been caught, most surprisingly with a diawl bach on a roly poly retrieve where the fish ignored the lure on the point. Good angling by Ian.
The quality of the fish is off the scale with nothing under 2 ½ lbs all fighting fit.

Another great day.
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report, Iain. Very Happy

If there are corixae present then that could be why your fish took the Diawl Bach despite ... or rather due .... to the quick retrieve. Smile

Good tactic when they are feeding on Corixae ' down South'. Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Willington 1 December Reply with quote

Another excellent day out on Willington Island lake.
Fishing from my trusty tube I set up two rods, a Di5 with a white booby and tequila blob and an Intermediate with GRHE, diawl bach and black / green tadpole.
Started with et Di5 and immediately was into a fish on the white booby. Worked out towards the island where I had 4 good offers and lost 2 fish before I had a follow to the booby on the surface followed by a solid hook up. Another fine rainbow edging 4lbs. I persevered with the Di5 even though I wasn’t getting too many offers but enough not to change. They were wanting it fished quickly though so I thought I was maybe too deep. A quick paddle around the lake proved fruitless so I gave the Inter a swim and I picked up another 4 fish to the GRHE and tadpole. A swap back to the Di5 gave me another couple to the white booby. I did lose count with the number of taps, pulls and lost fish though. You can’t complain though with 8 nice rainbows on the 1st day in December. We are so lucky.
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Willington 1 December Reply with quote

montanajoe wrote:
You can’t complain though with 8 nice rainbows on the 1st day in December. We are so lucky.

Yes you are! Very Happy

Another great report, Iain! Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Tiln 9 December Reply with quote

Decided to try Tiln for the first time this year. Good choice it turned out to be. I arrived to see regulars Steven Tomlinson, Darren Jones out in their tubes with Derek Parker fishing the bank. Chris Edwards arrived later for a short fish. Good company and plenty of free flowing advice going around. That is worth a lot when you are out fishing. I started with a Di5 with a blob and a white booby and managed a good fish and a couple of offers. Steven Tomlinson was catching on an intermediate so I swapped to that. A grey zonker caught my eye in the box and was put on the point along with a GRHE booby. Fish were higher in the water and you could see odd fish moving.Second cast and a fish followed the flies straight in but didn't take. Then followed a purple patch where every other cast had a bit of interest from fish, mainly to the zonker. The fish were a mixture of long lean fish and plump newer stockies, all hard fighting and of good average size. A couple nice browns succumbed as well. The fish were not deep at all and you would get interest almost as soon as the flies hit the water. Steven Tomlinson was also catching well on an Andy Hutson inspired fry pattern. I finished with around 15 fish. Everyone seemed to be catching fish. Another great day out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28
Page 28 of 28

Jump to: