The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Black Bass in Northern Italy

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Lure Fishing Discussion -> Lure Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Black Bass in Northern Italy Reply with quote

My neighbour Tony invited me to go with him on a fishing trip and visit back to his family village on the coast of north Italy.
I asked if there was any Black Bass fishing in the area and he said he would check with his brother. So when a positive response came back we decided to add in some black bass fishing as we are both keen lure fishermen.
The sea fishing from his brother’s impressive boat consisted of trolling and bait fishing for Tuna and other related species, which was great fun on light gear.
Unfortunately weather conditions at sea limited the amount of time on the boat.
We were lucky as we had a black bass contact that knew the local lakes and had a good knowledge of them, it was also a great help having an Italian speaker and lifts to the lakes.
The two lakes we fished were commercially run and we paid around fifteen Euros each for fishing and peddalow hire for the day.
My first day out was on my own (Tony was chasing Tuna with his brother).
I had taken with me a four piece medium light baitcaster rod and reel loaded with 15 lb braid and ten pound fluorocarbon leader material.
It was a good sized lake with heavy weed beds around the perimeter then a drop off into much deeper water, apparently they are old sand extraction works.
I started fishing with a weedless jig head with worm type soft plastics and soon started to make contact with the more aggressive smaller fish.

The few local anglers fishing from a collection of small boats float tubes and peddalow were all cast into the bank and margins then retrieved out.
So after catching a few of the smaller fish I started to fish by casting along the bank and then out into the deeper water and allowing the lure to drop to the bottom before retrieving it.
This produced less but slightly larger bass.
It was hot and thirst work under a cloudless sky so when the sport slowed down at mid day I went in for some shade and to eat drink water and think.
The locals packed up at around 2pm leaving just two others and myself with whole lake.
After my break I decided to set up with the dropshot.
I tied on a 2/0 weedless wide gap hook with a 4 inch Zoom straight worms and dropped it into a gap in the weed. A good tug on the other end gave me the confidence to fish on.
So I peddled off and fished out from the bank and started dropshotting with great results. The bass loved the Zoom worm in pumpkin seed colour and it started to produce bigger fish in the range of 2lb.
It was a great learning curve in the art of dropshot. The bites and takes were anything from hard pulls, line movement or going slack to the lure getting heavy. The bass fought like demons when hooked and would often throw the debarbed hook which did not matter as there was always another hungry bass waiting.
My biggest fish of the day was about two and half pound and total catch in excess of forty. All of the fish were in good condition without damaged mouths.

I fished another lake with Tony and it was a similar story but the fish were much smaller, the biggest at around a pound but they were hungry and it was almost a fish a cast.
The driving in North Italy is hair raising and not for the faint hearted in a hire car. We are already planning our next trip for 2019.

Liked by: lakefisher, tenet
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sooooooooo jealous! I would love to catch a freshwater Bass of any variety. Excellent report, Peter. Thanks for posting. Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are great fun Alan.
Far more aggressive than Perch and as you can see by the first picture happy to hit a lure the same size as themselves.
Then when they are hooked they fight like the clappers.

Never caught one on a fly rod but just imagine Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Lure Fishing Discussion -> Lure Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: