The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:

What is the weed like?

Alan Wink

Some patches in shallower areas but very fishable in most places with dries and even straight nymphs if you cast across the wind a bit. I was casting just beyond a line of weed about 8 yards out and leaving it alone as fish seemed to be patrolling along it unseen.
Liked by: Allrounder, blondie
Appleman
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkle wrote:
Very best wishes to Tim a.k.a. "Appleman" Wellman. On his Birthday

Thanks John....Appreciated
Liked by: arkle
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very mixed results from the Anglers World final on Chew last Saturday- some noted luminaries seemed to struggle. A few competitors had it bang off but discounting the top ten the average catch was circa 3 fish between nearly 90. Has anyone been out since ??
Doombar
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a morning boat on Chew today Doug. Very promising initially in the slicks off Whalley with a few rising and half a dozen enquiries to the dries that came to nowt. Then, as I was contemplating going smaller, one took properly and after the now usual seemingly endless scrap a 2 pounder came to the net.

But after about an hour the lake seemed to switch off completely. Nothing moving & nothing even having a look at either dries or nymphs. Sun was higher and cloudless sky with gentle NW breeze so not ideal but I'd still have expected some action. Bank angler on Whalley had been catching regularly & I suspect bagged up as he left mid morning.

I did the usual tour but same story everywhere. One more 2 pounder came to washing line around mid day back at Whalley when some cloud came over and I saw another boat take a couple off the boils. Ranger when I was getting off the boat asked if I'd tried Woodford as apparently fish were moving there early and late. I hadn't.

A bit disappointing after the last few weeks of brilliant surface fishing but a brace of good silver fish isn't a total disaster. Suspect conditions mainly responsible & yesterdays catch returns were apparently reasonable. Can't help wondering if Blagdon might have been the better bet though. Until next week.
Liked by: JCP, Allrounder, mc07fly
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Colin - booked for Blagdon tomorrow so will report back in due course. Smile
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet,

sent you a pm on Blaggers.

McFly
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arduous journey as the cut through to Lansdown from the A46 was closed at Tog Hill so a long detour through Bath finally saw us afloat for 2pm. The light winds and high clouds had given way to a strong and blustery westerly with heavy cloud cover and a few squally showers. The air temp had also fallen so the water felt luke warm. Only about 6 or 7 boats out and the were spread along the south shore from Green Lawn down to Woods with a couple of banksmen deep wading. Any chance of a decent drift were nigh on impossible so we anchored as best we could at various points along the shore. Set up was straight nymphs with flash back ptn's and crunchers. Water had that dead look with no fly life and only a couple of fish showing . My partner managed 4 stocky sized fish wiping my eye with yours truly only catching 1. Got smashed twice but on reflection they could have been crocs as they certainly felt heavy and no pigtails from poorly tied knots.
Most boats had packed in by 6pm and the returns box showed mixed fortunes - from a couple of fish to 15 for 2 rods.
A disappointing day but the surroundings more than made up for the lack of fish.
When we collected our permit from Woodford Lodge we counted only 2 boats on Chew Sad

Until the next time - Doug

PS You have a pm Mike.
Liked by: Allrounder, mc07fly
Thomas Tom-Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realised at short notice that I had some time free yesterday morning, so decided to break with the habit of a lifetime (well, 18 months anyway) and book a morning boat on Chew.

Bit of an error really. Walley was understandably a very popular drift and quickly had a queue on it. The wind was very nearly straight South and was generating quite a chop. As I'm not a boaty type, I didn't have a drogue, so couldn't really join in on the Walley drift as I was quickly bearing down on the boat in front. I saw two fish get taken by other boats, so it was obviously producing even in the waves.

I went off to take a look at some other areas (Cages, Herons Green) to see if much else was doing. Even in sheltered Herons, the wind was strong enough to make me drag anchor through the silt and I didn't see a single fish. I gave Walley one more go but the wind had got up even more and unsurprisingly I was still drifting way too fast without a drogue. I watched the two hyper competent looking anglers in the boat in front resolve a bit of a fly-in-the-ear type situation, realised that I wasn't enjoying myself and that even those who knew what they were doing had wind issues, so sacked it off at about 10.30.

So a bit of a schooling really, but as befitting a schooling, I've learned a few lessons.

Cheers

Tom
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've all been there Tom, and a session where you learn something wasn't a waste of time. Smile

I rarely go afloat without a drogue these days and I seem to recall a video clip on FB from John demonstrating the latest version he has on sale in the Lodge that stows in its own bag. Seems well worth a look. Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a wet and windy evening ticket on Tank 3 yesterday. Locals were saying it has been good but got a bit tough the last few days. Wind behind on the West Bank was the only option. I had one pull all evening as did the chap to my left. To my right Swampy of this forum did much better with 4, that included a nice brownie. Well done! First time I have been properly cold in ages! Until next time.
Liked by: Thomas Tom-Thomas, Allrounder
Thomas Tom-Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BristolFlyer wrote:
I had a wet and windy evening ticket on Tank 3 yesterday.

I live less than a kilometre from Tank 3 and it really was blowing yesterday evening. Half considered a trip to the tanks, but headed for shelter instead

I nipped out for 90 mins at about 5ish and went to Walley bank where you'd never have known that it was blowing a hooley. Not much moving, or being caught (though I wasn't there long to be fair), but I was pleased to pick up a stockie on the washing line just before I left

And yes, this weekend definitely felt a lot like autumn
Liked by: Allrounder
swampydick
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a tad windy on tank 3 Sunday,pretty weed free using washing line which took 2 fish to a holo dB including the brown Dave mentioned which around 3 ib mark lovely markings and as Dave came to take a pic it slid out my hands like a bar of soap!
Had 2 more as light faded to bob bits.
The chap to my right had 3 or 4 fish so I think the fish were more down my end towards stocky corner.
Cheers mike
Liked by: Thomas Tom-Thomas, Allrounder, arkle, mc07fly
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Blagdon update Reply with quote

I'm away for several weeks starting this weekend so here's a quick update of my escapades up to Monday am of this week.

As has been widely reported the fishing has been outstanding especially all along the south shore from Cheddar to Wood Bay.
Hot spots have been off Rainbow Point/Wood Bay and, currently, also off Polish water and into Home Bay. But fish are distributed all along the south shore so location has not been critical and there is plenty of room.

I have stuck with a simple in-line nymph rig off a floater. Flies are as noted in my previous and others' blogs.
Small DBs with a touch of red and/or a flashy tinsel rib; or a flashback PT have worked particularly well on the droppers.

But it's a good opportunity to try some new creations and I've spoken to several regulars who have done well on the drift with dries on the cloudier days.

The sun and wind have determined my point fly....so a small black booby for cloudy days or a small goldhead for brighter windier days have worked well as starters.

Recently the fish have been in the range of 2 1/2 lbs with a several close to 3 lbs and the fight is fantastic in the clear water.

So good luck to all and please leave a few in for the second half of October.

Tight lines,
McFly
Liked by: arkle, tenet, Doombar, Allrounder
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35
Page 35 of 35

Jump to: