The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Farmoor 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Tenet Fix Mission Reply with quote

Bet they packed a punch Doug brim full of protein.

Best JP
Silver Invicta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: F2 21st June Reply with quote

Hi All , Fished F2 today ( very chilly wind first thing , then warmed up ) I fished the top end of the causeway ( although I tried other areas ) . Not an easy day , however I did manage to catch 5 silver bullets , all came to the same pattern ... size 14 fiery brown emerger with a flat gold tinsel butt and jungle-cock cheeks . This was fished on a floating line and was the middle dropper in a team of various nymphs ( not fished as a dry fly setup ) straight line nymphing . I didnt see many other fish caught from the bank ( boats appeared to be doing ok ) , although I think quite a few other bankies were using intermediate lines !
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done SI - nearly went myself this pm but bright skies and a very brisk wind put me off. Interesting that you took fish on "wet emergers", had a number of fish on a wet hopper when boat fishing last week.

Hope to get out early next week given some cloud cover Smile
Silver Invicta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: FB emerger Reply with quote

Hi all , regarding the previous post , this Fiery Brown emerger pattern has caught when all traditional nymphs have failed , ranging from floating line down to a Di 7 . ( with or without the jungle cock cheeks ) . The only thing different to the usual emerger I use is the gold flat tinsel in the butt , I will have to try a midas fly sunk to see if the "gold" is the trigger .
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both F1 and F2 closed to fishing for the time being. With scorchio conditions returning this weekend it could be some time before conditions improve. Well done Thames Water putting fish welfare before profit.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farmoor is now open for catch and kill only.
I may make the trip there at some point next week.
P
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you can elect 4 or 6 fish - just been reading about the possibility of a Kielder size reservoir to be built near Abingdon. Thames Water want it but Oxfordshire CC don't. Who will win, angling fraternity along with other groups want it in order to stop extraction from chalk streams and bore holes which effect flows but goodness only knows what it will do to the Thames from where water will be drawn to fill it.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to have been an on going plan for a massive reservoir at Abingdon, despite it being needed I doubt that there will be any decisions in the near future.
I have booked a boat for Monday, but am not expecting a great deal catch wise.
P
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Abingdon Reservoir thing has been floating - excuse the pun - around for about 25 years. The last I heard some three or four years before I retired was that the idea had been shelved, but I guess recent weather has brought it back into focus once more. It would be a pumped storage reservoir similar to the Farmoors, so it would only be pumped in during high water periods. The effect on the Thames would be minimal.

As a point of interest, when the reservoir was first being proposed we were tasked with providing comprehensive and long-term data on the fish populations in the Thames, the idea being to get the information first and then monitor any changes when and if the reservoir was built. In order to do the survey we first had to buy a suitable boat which was a dory-hulled craft about 20' long, fitted with twin outboards and kitted out with a large tank to hold captured fish and then fitted out with two large electric fishing circular anodes and the equipment to raise & lower them into the water. Two operators with long handled nets would be stationed in a pontoon attached to each side of the boat to scoop up stunned fish.
Most of this set-up was designed & built in-house.

The work had to be carried out at night to avoid the boat traffic on the river and to begin with we surveyed from Oxford down to Shillingford, so above and below the proposed reservoir site. Obviously with a river that size & depth getting really accurate fish population statistics was not going to be possible, but we could and did get a lot of very useful data on the relative abundance of the various species and age & growth data from scale samples. It was a massive undertaking for two weeks usually in July around the time of the Tour de France. Because the work was quite successful but time consuming we gradually adapted the methodology by buying in a second boat, slightly smaller than the other one. This was used as a survey vessel. We would have two people whose task was to collect the captured fish from the fishing boat, moor up somewhere convenient and process the fish while the fishing boat carried on catching more fish. Once that was done the survey boat would proceed downstream to catch up with the fishing boat and take on board more fish. We would usually try to meet up somewhere in mid-river at about 1am for a break and something to eat.

This cut down the time needed to do the survey by a week. The next step was to fit out another boat with some sophisticated sonar kit called Biosonics. This boat with a crew of two would do an independant survey over the same ground as a means of verifying the physical results obtained by the survey boats.

Working at night on the Thames was both interesting, boring at times and scary at others, and very easy to get disorientated when a summer mist would come down. The fishing boat was equipped with floodlights so we could see the stunned fish in the water, but this had the effect of rendering the driver all but blind to what was ahead. One night we actually turned around on a wide stretch without being aware of it until we went under a railway bridge we had passed half an hour before! One misty night just as dawn was starting to show we were down near Nuneham and we saw what appeared to be a young woman in a flowing gown or nightdress walking on the far side of the river. The mist was swirling around her and she disappeared behind some trees. Very spooky!

The final methodology was to fish for timed runs. Five minutes in mid-river and five minutes along the margins. The fish were kept separate by a divider in the tank. This reduced the need for the second boat, but we added a fourth person to the crew in the fishing boat to help with the time recording and the fish population data.

As far as I know this work is still going on, and if the Abingdon Reservoir project is back on the horizon the data obtained, which is the longest running fish population dataset in the country, will be very useful.
Liked by: Fryfishing, Allrounder, mc07fly
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anything unusual turn up ?
For example there is the odd catfish and sturgeon in the canal at Watford ( caught and photographed).
P
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, very much as expected. Roach dominant followed by perch, bream and pike. A few eels and the occasional barbel. Lots of bleak in some areas and dace in the gravelly shallower water at the tail of weirs. A few tench in the weedy spots close to the bank.
Liked by: Allrounder
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We fished NO2 from a boat today, I was surprised to see that we were the first boat out since Friday.
The expectations were low due to a slight algae bloom and water temp of 21.5.
We fished fast sink lines and boobies all day and I had one fish which was in great condition but completely empty when I spooned it.
I had plucks and small pulls through out the day but only connected with two fish, I guess they were just not interested.
BUT
Here is the interesting thing, as the fishing was so slow I had a lot of opportunity to study the fish finder, the bigger fish soundings were hard on the bottom but there were lots a bait fish balls ranging from 6 meters down to the bottom between 9 &10 meters.
When the trout come on the feed I guess they will start to hammer the bait fish, which bodes well for good sport.
I also caught my first ever Perch on the fly from Farmoor, which was followed by three more.

Liked by: Allrounder, JCP, tenet, mc07fly
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Peter - I will be leaving it for a while longer.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke to the rangers today and things haven't improved much with temp circa 20c/21c and the fish not active. Catch and kill on F2 and F1 remains closed to fishing. Hopefully some cooler nights will help but it could be a little while yet. Sad
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have booked a boat for tomorrow but received the same feedback re slow fishing.
My plan is to go deep and look for the odd fish and if that does not work maybe try and find some perch.
Fingers crossed, watch for an update.
P
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: