The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Summer 2018

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Sea Fishing Discussion -> General Sea
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogB
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Summer 2018 Reply with quote

With the long hot summer of 2018 going well down in Devon I thought I would post up a few pictures from recent trips around the coast. We don't generally catch huge fish so apologies for the lack of trophy shots.

A couple of snaps from a kayak trip off of Teignmouth, our local patch, where John and I harass the mackerel and small bass. Its always sunny!

Then we had a non fishing non kayaking mate Boris down so we took him out, this time from Torcross. There were a few small fish about, pollock and bass. Boris got on fine on my missus Viking Profish kayak - same as mine. John has a red perception triumph.

Next day we though a quick ramble around Dartmoor and a fish for wild trout on one of the reservoirs. So off to Avon Dam...apologies its not sea fishing!

The water was already a little low - and this was at the start of the dry spell

Lots of rises and fun dryfly fishing for the beautiful little trout

Nice walk back to the car along the riverside, which was now populated with holidaymakers swimming in lots of the pools.

We had a floating picnic (on two boats you can hire from the back beach in Teignmouth) to celebrate Barbara my better halfs significant birthday - so the rods had to come!
Here she is in charge of our boat

and a few more chums with the lads concentrating on the fishing and not the Cava!

Boris had a few mackerel and I managed a cuttlefish on a lure which was a first for me!

Then back to my usual spot next weekend, fishing over low tide from the Phillip Lucette beacon, a small lighthouse sitting on a rock training wall that defines the very tight entrance to the port Teignmouth. Its great fun on the lures and occasional fly rod usually catching small bass and mackerel, watching the sandeels swim in and out. Not to mention the craft coming and going - this was one of the more unusual ones..

A mobile Tiki bar - folks round here are nuts!

And lastly a bass - just to prove I can occasionally catch em.

Im pleased to report we had a few mackerel first thing in the morning on friday, in a highly unusual for me pre dawn session!

Its great down here - I can highly recommend it - Shaldon

Shaldon: 'A Quaint English Drinking Village, with a Fishing Problem!'

Last edited by RogB on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:51 am; edited 3 times in total
Liked by: fossil-fish, springwell, Allrounder
trout
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to the report....

Just bought a perception triumph 13.5ft kayak, currently getting kit for it to make it everything it needs to be for a days fishing.
RogB
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perception triumphs are a good kayak - thats what John uses in these photos. Its pretty quick over the water and has a nice big front hatch for picnics and the trolley if needed.

Whereabouts are you going to be fishing from yours trout?
Cheers
Roger
trout
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report and pics, thanks for sharing.

I've been recommended a nice easy mark in Poole by a member of the forum. My Mrs mum also lives near Plymouth where there are plenty of eastuaries and shallow reefs to mooch around for bass, Gilthead bream etc.

I also had a decent shore fishing session for bass down at croyde, so will probably take it down there too, find some.deeper water by day, then back to lure fishing at night from the shore.

Lyme Regis is one of the closest bit of nice water from me in bristol, so probably head down there too.

I use Google maps to look at the water and go from there. Obviously find out a bit about the local tide before I go.

you can get large makerell all year round, even in Feb in 100ft of water in some of the larger estuaries down south. Nice to have different options available. Pollack and wrass are on my list as I've never had a large one of either!

Thanks.
Liked by: Allrounder
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much to Trout for some great tips on bass lures and gear. I had a couple of sessions while I was down in Falmouth with my family but didn't manage to hook anything other than a decent pollock from the west side of Pendennis Point. Some great looking marks along there, but some serious mountain goat moves to get to them. I really enjoyed it though and I will keep trying for my first bass.
trout
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem BF, well done on the pollack. Must get down to falmouth over the autumn myself.

Cheers.
cornish stalker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report trout,

Bristol flyer and trout if your heading cornwall anytime give me a shout. I will be happy to help you out on marks
Sea fishing is my thing down here.
If after big pollack west is best from now on.
But chance of 3 4ib of pendennis point plus good huss at night.
Liked by: BristolFlyer
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally caught my first bass. Surprised I ended up with four over two sessions fishing the rough coastline between Brixham and Kingswear. I had all four fish really close in, almost under the rod tip. I wasted a lot of time casting far out when I should have concentrated 100% on the shallow water and rocky gullies. Biggest fish was only about two pounds but I saw a real bus of a fish follow my lure in and turn away at the last second. Heart stopping stuff. In both sessions I also had a pollock and a mackerel, so it was certainly eventful!

I think it is me that is hooked Very Happy
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BristolFlyer wrote:
I finally caught my first bass. Surprised

Congratulations Dave, but be careful... Bass fishing can be very addictive! Cool

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Sea Fishing Discussion -> General Sea All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: