The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="arkle"]Martin C. wonders why people bother using Mayflies, especially dry versions on the lakes,

It seems the heat was getting to me, that day - as it has been quite a lot over the last few weeks & I must have been told something along those lines by another source whom I can't remember. As Martin does not recall saying that, to me - or for that matter anyone else. He's logged seeing them on Chew since 1978, albeit in small numbers each year. These numbers would probably make them a non-viable source of food. He had hoped, in the days of Bob Hanford to put up some hatching boards to potentially increase numbers, but for various reasons, possibly being out of the country amongst them this has yet to happen.

Apologies for any confusion caused & it was great to see those excellent photo's.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Appleman
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Periodic modest Mayfly hatches aside, I bet those fish would still scoff some fritz pulled past their nose 😳
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Mayblob Reply with quote

Appleman wrote:
Periodic modest Mayfly hatches aside, I bet those fish would still scoff some fritz pulled past their nose 😳

That is an Idea Must try when no one is looking Shock . Hallowed chalk stream brown trout on a mayblob.Picture the scene and the returns book Laughing

Best JP
Liked by: lakefisher
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an evening boat on Chew last night. Conditions looked good with the wind forecast to drop after 6pm. Taking John’s advice on board I decided to stay mobile and try a few different spots. First was the mouth of Herons and then a nice long drift parallel to the Moreton bank without any action, though I did see s couple of moving fish.

I then headed to Wick and did a few drifts close into the reeds. One stabby pull, but it wasn’t until I changed point fly booby to a corixa pattern that I boated first fish which took right against the reeds. One more followed before wind dropped and I decided to go looking for moving fish. Absolutely nothing on the surface as I motored across to Walley so had a few casts there and then a few off the north side of Denny island. Here I hooked a real bezerker that took line and just woukdb’t give up. A really nice clean fish of about 3.5lbs finally slipped into the net.

A few more drifts yielded no more action so I headed in and had a good chat with Ranger Trout of this forum. I couldn’t resist a few throws off Woodford bank, but it was dead quiet with no rises. Talk in the car park was of a tough day with some blanking, so I was happy.

This cooler rough weather and this week’s stocking will hopefully get things moving again.
Liked by: lakefisher, blondie
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Flyer on Chew Reply with quote

Good prospecting Dave.Looks the way to go.

Best. JP
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add clarity report. Slight brown stain in the water but clarity good enough to see a dead trout on the bottom off Wick in about 8 feet of water.
Liked by: blondie, lakefisher
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarity report Dave - The blond one and I, and possibly Alan and Jack, are going Green Monster hunting on Friday 15th, so very useful Cool ........ Tony
Liked by: blondie
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Groundbait Reply with quote

Whatever next Laughing Shock Good luck on your Esox Exercise.Maybe you could visit the ''nursery'' and transplant some of them Idea Any flies with Alien type eyes are mine Laughing

Best JP
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full day boats are just £25 per person if you fancy getting out on Chew or Blagdon this Monday Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you, may know local rod-builder Nick Strang. He was broken into recently & is missing 3 fully built Sage rods, along with a dozen assorted cane rods, also part built.

Most of the cane rods have spliced joints rather than metal ferrules. So please keep your ears pinned back & eyes well peeled as there's quite an investment in time & materials out there somewhere.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Yesterday - 09:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can’t remember the last report from Blagdon. Sad I hope our usually reliable half day correspondent is well.
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Yesterday - 10:50 pm    Post subject: Blagdon 19th June am. Reply with quote

BristolFlyer,

Your market intel is impressive. I have been taking a break both from fishing and posts this season but, today, I did venture to Blaggers for my second morning visit of the Season.

I arrived in the car park to find only one car...but the owner is a consistently successful regular so my good fortune to meet him. I then found that "Trout" was on duty at the lodge....so double good fortune.

After the excitement of these reunions I was quickly afloat and immediately discovered why only half a dozen boats were booked for the day.
The water has a brown olive algae tinge and viz was about three feet or so. However I thought it was much clearer than last week when the Memsab and I took a walk round Butcombe.

However the water temp is now about 18-19C and the combination of highish temp and colour may have slowed things down and kept the punters at home.

I learned that BWF have been trickle stocking regularly into a variety of locations this year and this was confirmed by my Sonar as I worked my way along the South shore from Cheddar towards Bell's. The light warm westerly breeze and good cloud cover were also positives.

There was some spasmodic surface activity so I stuck with a floater plus inty polyleader which works well for me.
A couple of follows at Cheddar and again opposite the Lodge but no solid hook ups.

The fly patch was becoming increasingly colourful as I reckoned I was unlikely to catch much if the bu**ers couldn't see the flies.

Then, finally, at Woods Bay....bingo. A 3lb rainbow to a DFM red DB with red "Madeira" thread rib as the centre dropper. On point was an almost subdued orange/yellow daphnia emerger and a flashback PTN with DFM orange head on the top dropper. The whole rig was fished very slowly Fo8 about 2-3 ft down in 7-8 ft depth just above the weed fronds.

So I reckoned I might have found some of the latest fresh stocking and decided to stay and see.

In the next hour I released another smaller rainbow at the boat plus one just over 4 lb and a brown also just over 4 lb.
I also lost two decent fish in the weeds which can be a downside of barbless hooks but as I no longer take fish for the pot, it's no problem.

So that's the story for today and I reckon the fishing gods were very kind.

The forecast Northerly winds for the next few days may keep the water temp in check and the trick as noted by BristolFlyer some days ago is to keep moving to find a few feeding fish.

Tight Lines,
McFly
Liked by: trout, lakefisher
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31
Page 31 of 31

Jump to: