The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Trout weight and condition gain

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Trout weight and condition gain Reply with quote

I was wondering, just how much weight could a trout put on in a couple of months during a time of year when food is abundant?

On Chew I feel like I catch most of my biggest and best conditioned fish from late April to late May. Allrounder and I always time a trip to hopefully bag some fish between 3 and a half and almost 5 pounds, that really pull your arm off.

Presumably these better fish have been stocked in early March and have been feeding naturally for a couple of months. In good buzzer years (holding thumbs that this is one) there must be just about unlimited food during this period. I have gutted fish to find their stomachs filled to bursting with buzzer.

But how much weight will a fish put on during this time? If I catch a 4lb fish in early May, was it stocked in early March at about 2lb 10oz?

I know bigger fish get stocked, but you can usually tell them apart from their shape - with fat bellies and less developed tails. The May four pounders that we seek are sleeker, firmer and the tails are more developed. But how quickly did they get that way?
drybuzzer
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive noticed a number of people over playing the fish that they hook and by the time they net them they are totally knackered. Yes you may of been fishing for a couple of hours without a take but dont torture them, it says alot about your personality and what comes around comes around.
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you see the catch returns for Chew over the whole season the average weight is between 2-8 & 2-12 and has been for as long as I can remember. So, a fish stocked at that weight in March is going to be maybe 2-14 to 3-4 come early May. The 4 & 5 pound fish you catch then are most likely from a late stocking in October and have over-wintered successfully. In March & April the water is still cold & the fish will not feed as heavily as a bit later on when the water warms up a bit. If they don't eat as much then they will not convert as much food into flesh.
Liked by: Fryfishing
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drybuzzer wrote:
ive noticed a number of people over playing the fish that they hook and by the time they net them they are totally knackered. Yes you may of been fishing for a couple of hours without a take but dont torture them, it says alot about your personality and what comes around comes around.

What's that all about Question Question
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can add is that I think there is a lot of confusion between fish that have been stocked at a higher weight and grown on fish.
A friend caught an 8lb rainbow out of Hanningfield the other week and said it was a grown on ( and his P.B) , but it looked suspiciously like a stocky to me.
P
Liked by: BristolFlyer
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drybuzzer wrote:

Yes, I usually bully fish to the net and let them go, but if I think they won't go back because of a long fight then I keep them. Also best not to fish C&R in warm weather.
Lighthouse
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Trout weight and condition gain Reply with quote

BristolFlyer wrote:

But how much weight will a fish put on during this time? If I catch a 4lb fish in early May, was it stocked in early March at about 2lb 10oz?

A fish isn't going to increase its body weight by 52% in the space of 2 months by feeding on buzzers or any other natural food that a 2lb stock fish would find in a reservoir.

In a fish farm, 'pan sized' fish are harvested at between 9 and 14oz after 12 to 18 months. Kept in ideal conditions, constant water temperature of around 15 degrees C and optimum feeding from egg to 1lb 12oz to 2lb can be achieved in 12 months. Increase in growth rate diminishes rapidly after stocking and fish will routinely lose weight in the initial period if not caught quickly as they adjust to feeding on naturally available food from their diet of pellets. In addition, growth rate diminishes as fish size increases.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: