The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Appleman
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRFFA Match report has been added to the Club Website

https://www.brffa.com/copy-of-competitions

For modern types Wink there is also a link on the BRFFA Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/BRFFA/posts/998853426946008

Tightlines....
swampydick
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green lawn this morning, arrived about 5.15 water crystal clear, and flat calm with a lovely mist over the water. no insects hatching or birds working the water so my expextations were low, however I caught 5 super hard fighting rainbows biggest going 3ib all but one on a size 14 db with a damsel taking the last. odd fish rising further out but all my fish came straight line nymphing, away by 8 as I had to work this morning. I think I was the only bank angler and as I drove past the lodge on way out saw 3 maybe 4 cars parked up! bit early maybe.
the warmer water has certainly woken these trout up I had to re-tie my leader several times as the fish gave me the run around.

Happy days
cheers mike
Liked by: Thomas Tom-Thomas, Allrounder, blondie
Thomas Tom-Thomas

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone's thinking of fishing Chew this evening I'd recommend North shore by the bench. Started at 3 and have just sacked it off as I've caught my 4 fish limit. Buzzers and DB's. Same as swampy said. The fish are seriously angry when you hook them.

Stood on the bank just now but thought I'd report as there's a cracking evening sesh here for someone!
Liked by: blondie
Thomas Tom-Thomas

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a refinement on the above.

The dawn sessions are getting a bit much at this time of year, so I decided to fish an afternoon sesh. Rolled up at Woodford at 2 and the chap kindly sold me an evening permit.

Started at Wick Green as I've never fished there and it's always on the catch reports. Not today though, it was quiet as the grave, no other anglers, only a couple of fish moving a long way out, there was however a huge buzzer hatch going on. I fished there without any interest for about half an hour before hopping back in the car and round to the North Shore.

What a contrast that was, as soon as I arrived it seemed I was onto a winner; there were seagulls circling above munching on flies, every boat on the lake was packed in behind the island casting at the reeds and as I got sorted I could see fish rising. I was the only bank angler though. My second cast I thew at a rising fish , I gave it a pull to straighten everything out, and the fish bow waved across and nailed the point fly on the surface Very Happy

I took 3 more fish in the next hour or so, all but one on the buzzer on the point. I also lost a very powerful fish which took close in, then made the jump to hyperspace and shot off at a frankly implausible speed towards the sailing club. I was nearly onto the backing before the hook pulled out, never even saw it. The fish I had were of a good size anyway - 2 at about 3 pounds and two at a more Chew average size. All stockies mind, though they all seemed quicker and more powerful than normal.

Apart from the first, the fish were quite tentative, lots of little taps before they committed. Some of the rising fish were as close in as I've ever seen them.

It was a great session, really enjoyable. The weather looks the same tomorrow - get out there!

Cheers

Tom
Liked by: arkle, Allrounder, blondie
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoyed those reports from Mike and Tom. Top dangling, guys! Cool

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: lakefisher
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas Tom-Thomas wrote:
Bit of a refinement on the above.

Started at Wick Green as I've never fished there and it's always on the catch reports. Not today though, it was quiet as the grave, no other anglers, only a couple of fish moving a long way out, there was however a huge buzzer hatch going on. I fished there without any interest for about half an hour before hopping back in the car and round to the North Shore.

Wick can really switch on in the evenings from the bank this time of year. As soon as light starts to fade they can move close in within range.

Well done on all your recent success. I'm working in London during the week at the moment so not getting much chance to get out.

Very large brownie from the tanks today I see. Looking forward to some dry fly sport soon Very Happy
Liked by: Thomas Tom-Thomas
Thomas Tom-Thomas

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back out this evening as I won't be able to fish at the weekend. Started about 4.30 at Woodford. Quite breezy with more of a "Swell" than a ripple. Took a fish on a swung buzzer about 15 mins in, after half an hour with neither me or anyone else catching, I got a bit bored of the wind and chop and decided to move.

Headed to North shore again for some shelter and conditions were much more agreeable. Took 2 more on a DB on the top dropper, so decided to take my first foray into the "Washing Line" and snagged a fish on that too. All the North shore fish wanted a very slow retrieve. Not static, not drifted but a s-l-o-w fig 8.

Spoke to some chaps by the bench who'd been there since 3 without a fish, they said that two guys had been stood where I was until half an hour before I arrived, they'd been there all day with no interest, so it seems like I rocked up at just the right time Very Happy . The two guys I met asked about forums, so I mentioned this place. Hopefully they'll join in the conversation soon.

BristolFlyer wrote:

Well done on all your recent success. I'm working in London during the week at the moment so not getting much chance to get out.

Thanks BF - It feels like the tips on here have really given my fishing a boost, so I'm very grateful to you all. Hopefully you'll be back in the promised land soon to get get your rightful slice of the action!

Cheers

Tom
cornish stalker

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 more sleeps and i will on the road from mid cornwall to for chew on friday fishing from 9 and blagdon on the saturday, cant wait. Hopefully the conditions will be good, and i can post a good report up.
Liked by: Fryfishing, lakefisher
cornish stalker

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys i fished chew and blagdon over the last few days, Left cornwall at 545am on friday , and arrived at chew 830, It few of us from cornish cast club came up for the weekend.It was a nice easy drive up, first thing first was getting breakfast from the cafe, then we unpacked the car and headed to the boat. with clear skys sun and no ripple in the morning, conditions to us weren't the best,
Headed to villice bay rods set up diawl bachs and buzzers, drifted in around there and seen a few rising near pontoon in the bay so headed to, that area after about 5mins my dad had a pull but didnt connect, one of our members hooked in to a big fish fish jumped it was a big fish, after 5mins it came off he was gutted reckon 5ib easy. I tried for a pike for 30mins but no joy, few other pike boys out in the area nothing.
Then my dad hooked one he couldnt belive the power of the fish, line screaming out around 5mins later we had a trout of 3-10 in the boat.
Spent a bit longer in villice but no joy, so we headed around nunnery point, and started a drift past last of the stones to oak tree, there was odd fish moving on top so we moved about 50yds of the shore, had the odd pull but no connect up.
then all of a sudden lots of fish switched on and rises everywhere, so i put on a hooper first cast bang fish hit it, wow the fish took of at a fast speed jumped twice before going deep, after a battle i managed to net it, going 3-8. I waa buzzing getting it on a dry, soon as they switched on they stopped again about 15mins of the trout going crazy, we headed down to the bottom of herons green, where 2 of our members were, they were hitting fish close to the wall left handside, (end of day they had 16 to the boat) on that mark, we tried 30yds away but didnt get a touch. we headed back out to oak tree area, picked up another, then we headed to salt malt for tea, where we met the other members, after good chat (everyone had fish) and
a bite to eat, we headed behind the island fished close to the shore, we both had few fish here quite quick all on red holo diawl bach.
after awhile with no pulls we headed over to walley bank hoping for evening rise, but didnt see any. headed back to the pontoon 8ish had a quick 20mins of wooford but nothing. So headed in and we was both buzzing great day out,
On the pontoon i spoke to swedish lads who been piking all day 6 of them not a sniff.

headed back to sidcott premier inn, for a few drinks and check inn,
met the other lads they all had a great day plenty of fish between us.

blagdon
Arrived at 930 to a stunning blagdon wow stunning place, headed out to top end fished here for a few hours no joy, but seen a big pike on the bottom. we seen a couple of local boats catching well in bells bush must be some blagdon secret as hardly any of us caught but 2 local boats smashing them. we tried other areas but no joy just odd pull.came back in at 6 and went to the local pub top of road for few drinks before heading back to cornwall. Our 5 boats had 5 fish between us on blagdon.. chew it was 40.

so that was it, 2 great days away. Will be back again this year

hopefully.

i would like to thank allrounder for his great expertise and the knowledge he gave me, it was spot on each area when how to fish. Your knowledge helped me and few others from the club have a great weekend. Hope i can repay favour again when your here in cornwall again.

Thanks warren
Liked by: Fryfishing, tenet, lakefisher, arkle, Allrounder
cornish stalker

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liked by: Fryfishing, lakefisher, arkle, blondie, Allrounder
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Chew/Blagdon Report Reply with quote

Good sport enjoyed on Chew by all accounts and some quality fish in spite of the sun kissed conditions.I tried to book a Chew boat on Thursday for Friday but could only get one on Blagdon. Good news I guess for the fishery T/O.Very difficult day on Blagdon as fish seemed to be corralled in two areas and blockaded by anchored boats.Could see plenty of fish being taken by a couple of boats but outside the magic circle was a real struggle.There were some other very competent fly fishers out also who suffered the same fate as us.Strange the short rise on Chew coincides with a similar event on Blagdon which was over more or less as soon as it began.Fish were in very close to the margins and James missed one on a shipmans and I had a ripping take casting a washing line set up out into the lake.Super fish came cartwheeling out of the water and roared off nearly to the backing.Once it settled I worked it back to the boat and thought am I seeing things or has the fish shrunk.I netted a 2lb rainbow which had taken the HRDB on the dropper and then noticed the Cruncher booby on the point was gone.Tippet to the point had failed just below the dropper knot.Not a regular occurrence but double whammy too much pressure on this lovely day in May.Hey ho on we go.I took one more smallish but super condition fish on a damsel and that was my lot for the day apart from a couple of half baked stabs.James fared even less well with a blatant miss and a couple of nearlies. Do not think I have changed lines and flies so much for a very long time but usually good productive areas seemed devoid of life.In fairness there were no birds hawking.Some gulls did have a funny turn but in general fly life was not happening with any real purpose.We had toured the lake and in the end end it cost us as boat ran out of fuel luckily off Green Lawn so not too far to man the oars and row in.James reckons his arms are still in traction.Long hard day and the young ranger who helped us disembark was very much appreciated.Think early bird might be the answer as when I arrived at 8.30'ish am there was a boat parked on one of the hot-spots mentioned in dispatches.Until the next time hoping residents will have spread out a little more.I did hear on good authority one of our resident guides gave a BW promotional talk at the Sportfish Reading show laced with some ''sour grapes'' which I found surprising.Nothing major but obviously noticed.No Pity

Best. JP
Liked by: arkle, tenet, lakefisher, blondie, Allrounder
cornish stalker

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes good sport on chew, bright conditions didnt put the fish off,
yes a shame the fish on top surfacing, didnt last long not sure what switched them on but they went crazy.

sorry to hear you had a hard day on friday too, same saturday 2 boats were catching rest blanking or picking up odd fish.
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: CV Tuesday 22nd May Reply with quote

As the Beatles sang ''I should have known better'' but needed a fix.John very encouraging on the help-desk and Toby a bright light on Pontoon duty.Away Ray and I went to the South in search of a few good'uns.Well we toiled an tarried too long in the search for the monster John Horsey returned on Sunday to no avail.Not even a missed take.Harsh sunlight and a fair breeze from the North spelled it out.No hawking birds apart from the odd swift fly by.Moved regularly to good drifts but still no joy.It was however a glorious day to be out just not conducive to fly activity.Moved clockwise around the lake and were spectators for quite some time as a chap had a monumental struggle with a big fit rainbow.Man on the engine duly manoeuvring the craft as they followed the leviathan across the bay.Finally after no little shenanigans the fish was netted and duly transported to the wheely boat for the weigh in.We watched all of this with some amusement as good to watch folks having a good time.Then Ray sprang into life.Fish pulled one way and instinctively as caught on the hop he pulled back and fish was already away.Encouraged the fishing now had our full attention and Ray had another grab which hooped the rod over and he was in to a good fish which gave a good account before boating.My turn next another splendid rainbow netted followed by another.Things were looking up.Ray was fishing a buzzer line and I was fishing a hover in the breezy conditions both fully armed with purist nymph patterns Very Happy.Turned out these rigs were just the ticket for Esox on the fly as we had one each and one which took a very dear to my heart fly tied by one of Bristol's own and left the chew marks on some very hard fluorocarbon to prove his point.Needless to say no more favourite fly was offered in the pike nursery.Further drifts proved fruitless so moved off to the North.East side looked really quiet and time was moving along.Early in the first drift Ray had a lovely fish and yours truly duly followed with its mate which took me onto the reel first rush.Another cracking rainbow full of fight.By now we were both feeling the strain of casting and being slowly cooked as due to the wind quarter the sun was just in that zone.Couple of other boats took the odd fish including one just starting on our previous drift which had Ray jumping up and down Laughing.
Final curtain was just off the north shore withies and I had a real Chew grab Shock followed by a searing run out into the lake nearly to the backing.Enjoyed that one but not as much as the one which followed as spotted a couple of moving fish and Ray was sorting a tangle.A reasonably placed cast strip strip and fish was flying and went like a train.Close of play for me but went for a quick look in a shaded spot which proved fruitless for Ray so came in.John was at the top of Jacobs Ladder and said returns had been pretty patchy with fair number of boats out.Think lucky for sport on the day.Driving away towards Blue Bowl Inn saw several plumes of smokin' buzzers Wink Until the next time.

Best. JP
Liked by: tenet, Allrounder, lakefisher, Thomas Tom-Thomas, blondie
Thomas Tom-Thomas

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to nip out to the tanks this evening for a few hours. Fished Tank 3. The levels were well down on a month ago, with the end of the pipes exposed. The weed is also starting to come on.

Arrived to find a lake covered in rising fish and two anglers telling me they'd caught nothing having been there since 2. Ha! I thought, I'll show them...

There then followed two hours of a lake full of rising fish ignoring every single fly, size and retrieve in my repertoire. From hoppers, through washing line to beadhead damsel, the little feckers completely ignored them all while frequently popping their smug little heads up to say hello. Embarassed

When it got properly murky at about 9.30, I reached for my winter pre-dawn tactics and put on a mahoosive black sparkly fritz lure with a fluoro yellow head (cos their mouth can't hit what their eyes can't see...) cast it around for a while fruitlessly, then popped it into the flow from the pipe and bingo! Nice little bullet in the net.

Got hit by something else a bit bigger next cast, but it didn't stick and it was time to be off the lake. Was happy with my little sprat as I'd pretty much accepted the blank at that point.

Still shaking my head at why none of us could hook up to any of the risers. Plenty of biggish buzzers and some sedges coming off, so puzzling really.

Bank holiday on the way and looks overcast...who's feeling fishy?
Wrighty

PostPosted: Yesterday - 09:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all hello everyone - am new to the forum. Thought I’d kick of with a fishing report.

Have been ridiculously busy with work so yesterday (Friday) was my first chance to get out with the fly rod. Plan was to spend the afternoon on the bank at Blagdon, head home for some tea and then back out for the evening ‘rise’ either at Blagdon or the tanks.

Phase one wasn’t great. Weather forecast said 8-10mph north easterlies so headed to the north shore (Ash trees) and I was the only one there, in fact I think I might have been the only bank angler at that time though one or two arrived later. Anyway the wind was either variable or non existent and the lake was a flat calm. Odd fish moving but way out of range. Flogged away for a couple of hours without a touch with db’s and buzzers and then decided a change was needed. Headed to Cheddar water and on a whim put a jointed Damsel on the point which was hit first cast - Rainbow probably just under 3lb. Then nothing until time to pack up for tea (shepherd’s pie).

Decided to finish off on the tanks and got there just after eight, only one other car there. Wandered up to 1 and 2 - both flat calm with not much showing. Settled down on no 1 and fish started coming up including very close in from about 9ish. In the past a emerging sedge pattern has often worked for me at this time but they just weren’t interested. In desperation as it was getting dark stuck a brown hopper on and tweaked it along and eventually got one which was half the size of the Blagdon fish but fought twice as hard before the fly popped out just as I was getting ready to net it - curses! wanted to see what it was feeding on. Suddenly it was dark and time for home. An interesting if not particularly successful first foray.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 28 of 29

Jump to: