The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

General Lure Fishing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Coarse Fishing Discussion -> Lure Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my last chance for a while Predator fishing at Farmoor today and it was a perfect day for a spot of lure fishing.
I was on no2 as a boat had been booked for a fellow L.A.S member but unfortunatly he had to drop out and I could not swap to No1 as all boats were booked.
The hot spots on No2 are known to me and many more people, word from the warden is that the Perch had been HAMMERED so it was not going to be easy.
The curly tail worm was my line of attack with different weighted jig head and a combination of cast and retrieve and vertical jigging.
I was defiantly getting knocks from Perch but they were playing hard to get, the trout on the other hand were full on and would take the lures on both retrieve and vertical methods.
Due to a lack of response from the perch I made my way around the reservoir and fished some spots I had picked out from past work with the fish finder and fished hard but they did not get me an elusive Farmoor perch or pike.
As always I learnt a few tricks through trial and error and ended the day with six trout to the boat and returned.
The water clarity was very good, there were trout being stocked into No1 and at around four o'clock there were signs of trout at the surface, I am not sure if they were stockies or not as there has been quite a few going in over the last few weeks.
Time to dust down the fly rods.
Very Happy
Liked by: Allrounder
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may have discovered a down side to owning fancy new electronics/fish finder.

We had a trip to Hanningfield yesterday 10th April and the conditions were spot on for a bit of drifting and lure fishing.
We received a warm welcome and friendly chat with the wardens, bought our tickets (80, 8 fish each and the boat) and set sail with pointers on the best places to fish.

It was rock hard, with out a knock or a pull on the lure all morning despite moving locations and fishing the spots suggested to us. So we went in for a break in the very nice cafe for a snack and a cup of tea.
We spoke to the wardens before setting out again and were sent back to one of the original spots were I managed to land two stockie trout to an orange curly tail. One of the fish was in very poor condition with fresh cormorant hole in it's flanks.
After this we set sale again to find some new locations but did not encounter any more fish Sad

Back to my original point at the top, I spent a lot of time looking at the fish finder as we drifted and cast out lures and I did not see any signals that could have been anything other than maybe a trout all day.
We spent time drifting the cages which was and according to the warden are still home to some of the giant trout but more to the point big Perch but not a signal showed on the unit which has left me wondering about the general levels of A) stocked fish B) grown on fish C) other species of coarse fish in the reservoir.
Although my fish finder is not top of the range, it is sensitive enough to pick up my 3 inch lure bouncing on the bottom, therefore it will show say a half pound perch or two at depth. The point of owning a fish finders is to show suitable bottom and structure but also shoals of fish, the first we found and fished the second was not to be found, on this day for us.

I do not think I will be going back soon, which is unfortunate as it is one of the few large sheets of water in my area that has boats and lure fishing all year around.
P
Liked by: Allrounder
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May the 16th has arrived so I had a boat booked to fish the opening day for lure fishing at Pitsford, it was a lot quieter than last year with less anglers and boats left unbooked.
I must say that it was great too have my licence checked by the E/A baliff who was there at the boat dock, I think this was maybe the the first time in three or four years I have had to produce it Very Happy

The weather was playing its normal tricks and a strong cold wind had set in from the North which meant tricky boat control of drifts over the best areas.
It again proved to be a day of a thousand casts but I was eventually rewarded with one Pike and one Perch.
The lures that I used were the classic four inch Curly Tail, the ABU Atom, various swim baits and the joker in the pack which caught the Perch a Hesters blade bait. https://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/hester-blade-perch-p-6266.html?osCsid=0r3ab27369vfhjg1sasidqegv4

All of the fish that came to the boat were from shallow water between 2&5 Meters and the water clarity was very good but the wind made boat control over the shallow water very difficult and no doubt we spooked a lot of fish with the boat.

As a side note I talked to some fly fishers on our return to the dock and they had a good day on the buzzers with around nine fish each, which tends to prove the point that lures are not the best method for feeding trout.

Liked by: fossil-fish
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic of some of the lures on the day, maybe I should have used some flashy models as I saw a few pike follow but not take, who knows.

Liked by: fossil-fish
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Coarse Fishing Discussion -> Lure Fishing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: