The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Farmoor 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Bob - may try the bank next week now that levels are up. Smile
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,

If you can get hold of a copy of Total Flyfisher from November 2014 you can see exactly what I mean. There is an article by Ben Bangham done when the water was low and several of the photos show the scenario precisely. A band of dried algal weed in one of the ripples 7 down and another a further 5 down. You can readily imagine that being the trout version of the super highway when the water is at full levels. The lower bed is then around 10' down which bears out the reason that so many of our fish way back in the late '70's & '80's were caught at or near the end of the retrieve.

It is also the reason why the indicator method is so successful there. Those of us who fished regularly began to think it should be possible to catch those fish on small imitative flies rather than the lures we were all using. So the 20' leader, weighted point fly and indicator at the junction of fly line and leader was developed. It rapidly became apparent that for every take we felt as a pull in the hand, there were half a dozen that we never knew we had - before the indicator.

Nowadays the fish are bigger; there have been significant advances in rod, line and leader technology which have levelled the playing field somewhat so the proportions of takes felt to takes seen has evened out quite a lot, but there is no doubt that early in the season when you need that fly down 10' the indicator scores as heavily as it always did. Later on, of course when the fish try to pull you in with them there is no need for that tuft of yarn.
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleedin' 'ell. That place should come with a health warning. What a session. I started off on F2 having seen fish rise on my way to F1. Second cast and bingo! In for a good time here thinks I. Not on your nellie thinks the trout, so off I go to F1. The wind, meantime, has picked up and waves are rolling down the causeway. Eventually I fetch up right at the top of the causeway not far from the boat pontoon where the breeze was reasonable.

Then the fun began. The fish were there and in numbers. 7 more followed with three or four coming unstuck and a few missed. By 7.15 the wind had dropped off a bit so I made my way back down the causeway, not fancying a long walk right at closing time. There is a temporary boat pontoon about 2/3rds of the way down so I stopped off there. 3 more fish in fairly quick time and I'm seeing quite a few rising so I switched to dries and a near 5lb slab scoffed the black Shipmans.

Earlier on in the proceedings I had made up a second rod with a slime line on and a couple of small black nondescript flies. I've got to pack this away so I might as well have a couple of chucks with it first. 2 in 2 and now it really is time to go. 14 for the afternoon/evening is not bad in anyone's book.

I used my 3 weight for all bar the last two and it is a lot of fun. My slime line is knackered. It's old and curlier than an old Airflo floater. I will have to replace it.
Liked by: BristolFlyer, Fryfishing, tenet, Whistlekiller, Allrounder
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afternoon bank ticket today - quite a few bank rods on F2 but only a couple of boats out. Decided on F1 and set up in the SW corner with a nice left to right breeze. I was keen to try out my new Chub seat with adjustable legs and i must say it was superb. 5 or 6 hours standing on the sloping concrete bank is no good for my wicky old legs and this purchase is just the job giving a stable level seat.

Fished a floater all afternoon with a selection of buzzer and nymphs with fish coming to green buzzer and db's. A good cast with an upstream mend and let the rig come around in the breeze with only minimal input from me saw 10 fish to the net with a number lost along with missed pulls. Lad fishing to my left must have netted in excess of a dozen by the time I left . Water quality superb with at least 8ft but not much fly life although I suspect there would have been an evening rise but I had to be away by 8ish. No slabs with all the fish circa 21/2 - 31/2 lb and chrome bright. Was taken down to the backing on a couple of occasions by what should have been 5 pounders but were just around the 3lb mark. I think they were Blues.

I will be back.

Cheers

Doug
Liked by: Fryfishing, Allrounder
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a great afternoon, I was going to go but did not fancy the drive so I chased the Perch locally.
I am glad the chair worked out and means you can continue fishing from the bank.
I will be there Tuesday for a boat on No1.
Very Happy
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We fished no 1 from a a boat yesterday Tuesday 23/05 in a good southerly blow and bright sunshine.
Boy was it hard work, we mixed methods, Dave on the floater and me on an intermediate but drew a blank and only saw a few fish caught during late morning and early afternoon. So we went in for a cup of tea and a mental break.
Then back out again, the wind was such that we struggles to get the anchor to hold and when it did the boat was constantly swing on the rope, we fished the drouge as well but that also did not work.
I guess some fish must have been feeding close in as the handful of bank anglers there started to catch at around 5 oclock. I had not had a pull upto that point.
Out of desperation on went the fast sink and two white lures and third cast I hooked a bigun which pulled like hell but came unstuck before we could net it Sad
So I am ashamed to say we started back drifting with the white lures, we had not traveled more than a hundred yards when I had another fish on Very Happy
So the day was saved from a blank for me with three fish before boats in at 8pm.
No Bobbies allowed so it was just straight white lures with less line out so they did not snag the bottom, not what you expect to be doing in May.
P
Liked by: Allrounder
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tough old day Peter, weekend averages were down as well - am thinking about tomorrow pm from the bank(courtesy of Chub seat) with my pal Pino so will report back in due course.

edit: don't fancy thunderstorms so deferred to Friday. Smile
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were right about the boat docks Doug.
When we went in for a cup of tea poor Dave almost feel in, it was the classic case of a moving dock and boat. The boat moved out as he had one foot on the dock and one on the boat.
Fortunately I had hold of him, he went down on the dock with a real thump and one leg in the water. I stopped him taking a full dive and getting trapped between the boat and dock. Very Scary for both of us.
Like the true hero he is after a cuppa and a break he was game to go out agin and caught some fish.
Very Happy
Liked by: lakefisher
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes F1 boat pontoon is a nightmare - last time I lashed the boat to a cleat with the anchor rope and performed a modified Forsbury flop out of the boat onto the pontoon. Sad Only downside, apart from loss of dignity, was getting covered in bird shiite Sad . I'm sure they could fit stanchions which would make life so much easier.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A merry jaunt across the Gloucestershire countryside into Oxfordshire saw us on Farmoor , complete with Red Kites circling overhead, about 2pm. Mirror calm not the light Northerly promised so we set up on F1 in the West side with floaters and a team of nymphs and buzzers. in anticipation of a breeze coming from the North. Occasional fish showing but hardly any fly life and no shucks in the water. Visibility good with just a hint of green staining in the water. After a while my line slid away with a fiesty Rainbow on the point buzzer punching way above its weight which looked like 21/2lb or so through my polaroids but the fish slipped the hook at the net. Pino suffered the same fate shortly thereafter. We ground away for another hour or so ringing the changes but not a pull between us. Time for a move so we motored round to the Southern end of F2 where we picked up a nice Easterly breeze but the water seemed devoid of fish as we didn't touch a thing nor see any movement. A slow drive around the perimeter saw us on the Eastern end of the causeway where a few fish were showing. This proved a good move as we both started getting pulls with me ending up with 3 fish in the net and Pino hooking 7 but only landing 3. Had some sport to dries but the fish went down when the breeze picked up.

No boats out either F1 or 2 and the dozen or so banksmen around the lakes all seemed to go by early evening. Mark the ranger was somewhat perplexed as to why the ressie had switched off with all finding life difficult. Noticed some security on site that looked like Gurkha's - apparently some Pikey's had been ejected from the fishery earlier in the week having been poaching with spinning tackle. EA enforcement and Police involved so TW obviously worried about retaliation.

Until the next time.

Doug
Liked by: Fryfishing
Silver Invicta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: F2 on 7th June Reply with quote

Hi all , I have not been fishing for several months ( illness and just acquired a sprocker pup ) . Fished F2 yesterday , as usual some excellent fishing with good quality fish . The causeway was probably the best location during the afternoon , with No4 marker fishing well in the morning . The fish were high in the water , washing line technique most of the day with either a hopper popper or ginked up hopper on the point , with diawl bachs on droppers . Fish ranged from 2 lb to 3.5lbs .
Liked by: Fryfishing, JCP, tenet
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a tough afternoon on No2 today, bright sunshine and a changing wind speed.
Back drifting produced two fish (and several loses) but due to the changes in the wind I had to keep altering the length of line to stay in touch with the lethargic fish.
As the wind dropped I tried the floating line and a 20ft leader but this only produced one take that did not stay on.

The water clarity is very good and there has been an explosion of fry around the docks and in the margins there are BILLIONS of them (I bet the perch are getting fat).
There is also a straw bale pontoon in place now on the north/west corner of No2 by the inlet, it is already home to geese and cormorants.

I am not sure when I will be up there again in June but I have already set aside some July dates.
P
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one to try if the fish stay deep, Peter.

Floating line, and measure off a leader 13' long. Add a dropper at 11'. Tie on a tungsten beaded bloodworm and a varnished buzzer pattern. Add a yarn indicator at the junction of fly line and leader. Moor or anchor the boat and cast a few yards downwind. Pay out the line as the indicator drifts away from you but don't let it go more than about 20 yards or you won't hit most of the takes.

Several years ago a colleague went out with a fish finder under heat wave conditions and found a layer of fish at the 12' level. This got me thinking so I tried the above at Chew on a very hot day when nothing was being caught except the four I got.

If nothing is forthcoming then try extending the leader out to 25' I did this one crazy day on F2 and had to stop after 20 fish on the bloodworm because I was knackered.
Liked by: Fryfishing
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Farmoor Quality Day Wednesday 13th Reply with quote

Fuel and provisions taken on via M&S in Costa Del Salisbury under cloudless skies had me wondering if I was going on a fools errand.As I motored across to my favourite tackling up buoy I was still in doubt but miraculously on cue the cloud cover rolled in with a fair gusting Atlantic born breeze so set up on a hover line with 3 nymph patterns and had a cast or two from the buoy swinging the nymphs around on the breeze.WALLOP and my day had begun with a real rod bender pictured below.Soon realised these insane fighting Farmoor rockets had lost none of their mettle.Top days fishing ensued on nymphs and later barbless dries.Some pals one a River keeper were by chance out in another boat and catching on dries.Friendly chap I talked to loading the car post fishing who seemed well on top of his game had also fared well throughout his session fishing the dry fly.They say you have to pay your dues and I have had a patchy start this season but this day will go down as memorable.Rainbows were literally ripping into some new flies from top man Richard Garbett who has been helping me to build up my barbless selection.Water clarity is excellent and hopefully the bale pontoon near to the inlet will help keep the blooms at bay.If your wanting ''come on in the water is lovely'' takes and very fit fish then suggest you go afloat and hopefully experience the ''tug is the drug''first hand.Until the next time.

Best JP
Liked by: tenet, Silver Invicta, Allrounder
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my fruitless salmon foray to the Thurso I was badly in need of a fix so on reading Jon's report arranged an afternoon boat on F2 yesterday. The wind was hard West and a lot fresher than I had anticipated but the ranger said nymphs and floaters were the way to go. Good clarity but no fly life except a few damsels, no fish rising and no birds hawking hmmm. We persevered zig zagging along the causeway for just a few half hearted pulls fishing nymphs and damsels. Changed to a SKB slow inty (1/2in/s) with crunchers and a wet hopper on the top dropper and started to hit fish. They were not showing on the surface but were a foot or two below so as you hit into them they boiled on the surface before making spectacular runs. I was down to the backing more than once. The wind was really awkward fluting around the concrete perimeter so we went on a foray for quieter pastures drifting out from marker 4. We were still picking up the occasional fish but the water held some suspended algae which seems to me to put the fish off. As the afternoon progressed into early evening the wind abated so we went back to the NW corner and the last hours fishing was spectacular. Still no rises but fish coming at you on every drift. I would have set up some dries but just couldn't be bothered to make up another rod and anyway we were having lots of fun. Finally blew the whistle at 8pm ish with about 10 fish to my rod and 5 to Pino's although he lost just as many. Sad

Spooning the fish showed hardly any nymphs but the were full of Daphnia. Some real slabs amongst the catch as shown here:

Cheers

Doug
Liked by: lakefisher, Allrounder
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: