The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Sally Hansen

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Fly Tying Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Sally Hansen Reply with quote

Just a quick question.
I have searched the forum but cant find the answer.

What do you use to thin down Sally Hansen Hard As Nails once it starts to thicken up ?
I have been using nail polish remove with Acetone but it tends to make it go a strange murky colour and then changes to a more stringy liquid.

Do I just throw out the half bottle and buy a new one or is there a method for thinning it down??

Thanks
FF
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure acetone will do it but nail varnish remover has oils to condition nails hence the cloudyness. I've also used cellulose paint thinners if you know anyone who does any spraying. One drop goes a very long way mind.
Liked by: arkle
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Paul, I have some thinners Very Happy
Some one recommended Ethyl Acetate, but it is quite expensive to buy and have shipped in small amounts.
Ff
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought cellulose thinners from a model making shop years ago. Still in use. Works very well and lasts a long time. Mixing your old bottle with some from a new bottle also helps.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
arkle
2,000 Post Club
User is Online

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THERE ARE (OBVIOUSLY) LIMITS AS TO MANY TIMES/HOW MUCH THINNER'S" YOU CAN APPLY THROUGH THE LIFE OF THE VARNISH, HAVING SAID THAT, IF YOU & A MATE (OR 2 ?) WANT TO RENEW YOUR SUPPLIES, IT'S POSSIBLE TO BUY 6 BOTTLES FOR JUST LESS THAN A 10'ER POST PAID FROM A WELL KNOWN ONLINE AUCTION SITE. (bloody caps button)
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.
I have added some thinners which did the trick but I doubt I will be able to add any more in the life of the current bottle.
Some month ago I did have two bottles of different types of Sally Hassen and mixed them together which also seemed to work.
S.H seems to have become my go to varnish for all things flytying now days, so six bottles maybe an option.
Cheers
P
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Fly Tying Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: