The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bovver wrote:
If you look closely you can see 2 booby eyes caught in the net. Only 2nd cast with brand new minkie booby from the lodge and the thing fell apart?

Whip them back on Ian.... It'll be better than new....!
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome along AJS, & a fine first post.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great fish coming out, especially that brownie - well done!

I got schooled by the Pink Panther and other season ticket holders at Wick yesterday. I arrived at 7am and three guys were there already on the right side. Bit slow at first but then M started banging them out. He hit his limit pretty quickly and then swapped places with his mate who continued the trend. I saw about 30 fish getting caught before I had a pull, and that was a pike. Then I hooked what I thought was another pike, but then it rolled at the surface and it was a big brownie, which promptly spat the hook. I finally started getting some action when the other guys had packed up, but with a right to left wind I should have gone elsewhere. Still, four fish before lunch isn’t the worst start to the season I have had.

If you do fish Wick, there is a massive puddle at the bottom of the access lane which looks a bit sketchy, but you cab get through it in a normal car if you keep going. Tight lines all!
Liked by: Allrounder, blondie
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, ajs20. Looks like you had a great session. Good to hear that Wick fished well and thanks for the warning about the puddle, Dave. As I recall, that puddle can be deeper than you think! Shock

Great reports guys, keep 'em coming! Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Appleman
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good fishing Saturday on Chew. Me and my boat partner both retained 8 each averaging about 2.5lb and released plenty more!! Wink All rainbows, no browns. Fish were ok, some smaller ones down to about 1.5lb were about and the best was around the 3lb mark. Did hear of some proper slabs making an appearance so there are some older fish about too.

Had a fair few that were a bit untidy, gill plates not fully grown and tails a bit ragged. No doubt they will mend up in the coming weeks. Not sure what causes the shortened gill plates??! Anyone know? Irrespective, it was good to be out on Chew fishing and fishing for more than a pull or two..... Let's hope that continues throughout the year.

We worked the bank from Herriot's down to East Shore. I started on a tip but couldn't really get it switched on so switched to Di7 and two Boobies. This was the best method for me and put a dozen in the net pretty quickly. Fish were just off the bottom so the line / flies had to get down for the takes. In the interests of not being a total fish monger, I came off the Di7 by about midday and swapped over to glues and diawls with a blob on the point on a 6ft Tip. Static to very very slow saw the fish taking the glue above the blob and the diawl above that. Few took the blob on the hang. Interestingly the takes on the nymphs in the main were very subtle, a slight straightening in the loop rather than ripping the line out of your hand. Much slower action on the natural stuff but satisfying fishing nonetheless.

Fish noticeably came up in the water mid afternoon. Everything eating the glue on the top dropper. Spooned a few and found a couple size 16 ish black buzzer in each spooning. Not many, but they’ve started to feed naturally. Between us we had two overwintered fish around the 3lb mark which is encouraging. Long, silver well mended fish. These scrapped big time and were noticeably stronger fish.

The fish were well spread all along the bank and very tight to the reeds. You also had to fish for them using the nice stuff rather than just chuck a line out. First time I've stuck to gauge stuff on opening for a while. Embarassed which kept it well below a fish a chuck which was positive.

Spoke to a few folk after and everyone seemed to have had an enjoyable day. Lot of boats not used which is a shame given the fishing was good.....Few folk missed a good day!

I saw the bank guys on Wick have a raft of fish. Having read Dave's post, the pink filth made some sense.....Couple of mates had done pretty well on pink snakes! Shock Couldn't be like it myself.

The fishing is good and plenty of methods will work. Whatever fits your eye really......When the water temps are good and there's a head of fish in the lake it fishes well.

Blagdon next Saturday for me. I'm told more per acre have gone in so it should fish well also. Be good to see all the boats out and none tied up!!
Liked by: Allrounder, arkle, JCP, Whistlekiller, montanajoe, blondie
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted "5 hours ago" on facebook.

NOTICE:

Unfortunately due to the strong winds and the SE direction forecast we will be cancelling boats at Chew Valley lake on Wednesday. Our team are ringing around customers booked in to reschedule.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

BW Fisheries
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job I booked a boat for tomorrow then, and not Wednesday. I can't wait! Very Happy

BTW that's a great post Tim (Appleman) , with lots of tips for anyone looking to get afloat. Cool

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: arkle
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shared a boat on Chew today with Jack Welshman who shares my enthusiasm for Perch and Pike but today we hoped to find some of the larger overwintered trout that have been coming out since the start of the season. Smile

The plan was to explore the deeper water by the Sailing Club and Walley and also out by fish cages with lure patterns fished deep on fast sink lines. Fortunately for us the weather today was almost perfect with a light wind early on which enabled us to get our flies down deep despite having to cast over the front of the boat but it was hard going. I thought I had cracked it in front of the Sailing Club when a solid take pulled the tip of my rod down into the water but it turned out to be 2-8 rainbow which although welcome, wasn't what we were after.

After a while we tried out by the fish cages and although two of them seemed devoid of fish underneath the sounder picked up loads of fish between 2 and 4 feet off the bottom in 25 feet including a couple of real lumps around the other one! However try as we might, we couldn't buy a take which we put down to us either not getting our flies down deep enough for them, they were not feeding, or they were possibly Roach and not keen on fry patterns! Sad

After that we tried Walley with similar results but as the wind was picking up making fishing deep over the front of a boat increasingly difficult we decided to try the deep water behind the Island. This seemed like a good move when Jacks rod tip plunged under the surface while fishing over the edge of a drop off but after a short tussle he got his leader back minus his fly, courtesy of Mr Pike. Rolling Eyes Laughing

There were four other boats fishing behind the island and we noted the occasional bent rod so it was no surprise when Jack caught a nice rainbow on his White Snake pattern ... and then another ... and another! Apart from a few taps I couldn't get anything to lock up so as the conditions were so nice I decided to abandon the 'Dark Side' and set up my #6 with a midge tip line and a team of Black DB, Black and Green nymph and small bead head Black and Green Tadpole on the point. After a few casts I was starting to wonder if I had made the right decision until a 4-1 Rainbow nearly pulled my rod out of my hand! Cool

For the last couple of hours we set up repeated drifts from the middle towards the shore and we both had either pulls or fish on almost every drift. And boy did some of them fight hard! Shock Jack had a real beast take him around the boat before it threw the hook and we both had a a few fish over 3-8 in among smaller fish too which I don't mind. I prefer to catch a variety of fish as long as there are some slabs in the mix! Very Happy

So all in all I had a fantastic days fishing in brilliant weather and wonderful company. It was certainly the most enjoyable early season trout boat session I have had for years! Very Happy

Some memories from the day ...

Chew is on fire at the moment and if you haven't been down yet you really are missing a treat! Cool

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: arkle, montanajoe, mc07fly, Noob, JCP, lakefisher, blondie
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ace report, as always & a truly fantastic day. Well done guys & many, many more to folow.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Tim and Alan for good reports - off to Cheltenham Hospital today for cataract surgery which may help my myopic vision Rolling Eyes

Anyway hope those fish keep feeding as it will be another week or so before I can get down.

Cheers
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it all go's to plan for you Doug & results are brilliant
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys, and best of luck with the cataract op, Doug! Smile

I see a massive 9lb 9oz Brownie had been caught in Herons! Shock Scroll down here

That's what we were hoping for yesterday morning but that's fishing. Total respect to the captor who took it on a Buzzer and then had to land it which must have been no mean feat! There must be another one out there like that with my name on it, surely? Sad Laughing

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishing you the best possible outcome with your cataract operation Doug. ....... Tony
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife had implants done at Circle Bath. Highly successful. My mother had her cataracts done in her mid-80's, again very successful. You'll be back pestering those trout in no time. Good time to have it done too. I mean, who the heck wants to be freezing their nuts in a boat on Chew or Farmoor in this weather?
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind messages - back home now with a large plastic shield over my eye. The cataract was a consequence of eye surgery a year ago to repair a hole in my macular - that wasn't pleasant whereas this was over and done within 15 mins or so. No pain just lots of hanging about.

Cheers
Liked by: BristolFlyer, lakefisher
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 16 of 31

Jump to: