The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Rod Licence

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VGB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Rod Licence Reply with quote

I just received this through the mail again but mindful of previous scams, I read it through carefully. The email is from rodlicencerenewal.co.uk and the email link takes you through to their domain. It may be legitimate but there was an outfit a few years ago that charged you for buying through their website instead of going direct.

wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got that too. Having looked though it I think it is kosher. I drilled down through various links and looked up byelaws etc. There are things there that the average scammer isn't going to know. I will use that site next week.
VGB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldnít find the rodlicenserenewal.co.uk site on google so I went direct

https://www.gov.uk/fishing-licences/buy-a-fishing-licence

A friend of mine got stung with a surcharge last year by something similar, so itís possibly legal but not risk free.
VGB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was happening a few years ago, so I maybe over cautious

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/protect/2014/06/buying-a-fishing-licence-dont-get-reeled-in-by-a-copycat-site
VGB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not:

https://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/general-fishing/360735-beware-site-your-licence.html
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put an annual reminder in my phone calendar (which flags up a week early) with a link to the EA Licence page so I get an audible and visual reminder and the right place to go to renew.

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I accepted many years ago that I would be an angler for the rest of my life so when it became possible to set up a Direct Debit with the EA I jumped at the chance. Very Happy

The only irritation I have with this method is that while they are very keen to deduct my fee a few weeks before the expiry date of my old license, my replacement doesn't arrive until just before, or sometimes after my previous licence has expired.

However, there is no chance of being scammed and you don't have to worry about it again. Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trip to the post office for me. Very Happy
MikeB

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Licence Reply with quote

VGB wrote:
I just received this through the mail again but mindful of previous scams, I read it through carefully. The email is from rodlicencerenewal.co.uk and the email link takes you through to their domain. It may be legitimate but there was an outfit a few years ago that charged you for buying through their website instead of going direct.

I think this is the one I clicked on by mistake last month, having Googled 'Rod Licence'. Looked fine, went all through it until it said my licence would cost £45. Thought I must have opted for a Salmon & Sea-trout, looked again, no, Trout and Coarse £45. Started again. Bought mine eventually for £20 direct from https://www.gov.uk/fishing-licences/buy-a-fishing-licence.

Just checked, it wasn't the one in the op, Google came up first with www.onlinefishinglicences.co.uk/ on which I clicked, the real .Gov.uk one was second.

Happens a lot with Visas and probably other sites too.

Mike

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: