The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
csfcodhunter
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BW have just launched there Business Plan to help save CV! We have nothing to worry about!
Phew!

BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csfcodhunter wrote:
BW have just launched there Business Plan to help save CV! We have nothing to worry about!
Phew!

I hope that you have submitted your views formally to BW management via letter. Expressing strong, anonymous opinions on an internet forum may be counterproductive to saving Chew as a fishery. It certainly grates after a while for other forum users Rolling Eyes

On Friday I dropped by the lodge for a chat and and had a walk around the north shore. The restaurant was rammed with punters, as was the Salt and Malt and the trail along the north shore was busy with walkers despite the mud and the low temperatures. Quite a few bird waters too. Very obvious that fisherman are just one segment of the public that BW cater for.

A new view spot on the north shore - possible new early season bank spot?

Big new bird hide replacing the one that was vandalised.

Hollow Brook looking very full...

Liked by: malerogue, Allrounder, blondie, mc07fly
csfcodhunter
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I most certainly have Bristolflyer (over the last 3 years)! The truth may hurt sometimes, but it has to be posted ref BW (just like TD did - page 4 of this thread). No good complaining ďafter the horse has boltedĒ.

And I have written to them/emailed on several occasions - with no reply. Actually that is not quite true as they did tell me that ďif you donít like what we do, go fish somewhere elseĒ which is what we did, and why Rockbourne Fishery near Fordingbridge has gained 4 ex BW season ticket holders ths coming season. We fish every weekend. Will still fish CV on a pay as you go approach.

Donít forget I registered on here in April 2014 - this has been going on for several years. At least it is now common knowledge to all and out in the open, which is what my aim was in 2014. Sometimes you have to challenge these big companies, which is what is now happening.
Bad PR is a powerful tool to make large companies/people take notice.
BW created this situation, noone else.
Liked by: blondie
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an observation on the point brought up by allrounder, about the guy's comments concerning "trout fishing" The original reason for putting trout into large waters, was to keep a degree of natural control over insect life. Only after that was done, it was then found by doing this, sorry no date etc available, but this could provide another "income stream" for places holding water, so along with the growth in population etc etc reservior trout fishing started.

Personally I think it will take a HUGE investment in capital etc to turn the fisheries around within a 3 year period. At least seeing the speed that BWW's has done things in the past. A LOT & I mean a LOT has to be done in the very first year, from day one, & this may (hopefully, not should) be well beyond the planning stage by now.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is worth remembering that the recent disquiet with BWF reared its head following TD's departure due to an apparent lack of purpose and direction within BWF, certainly as far as trout fishing was concerned. If one was being cynical you could argue that the reintroduction of the proven 'Fisheries and Recreations Manager' position is just a BW corporate ploy, but I prefer to see it as a positive gesture in the right direction by BW and the appointment of John as a potential game changer, as we now have an accomplished angler in a position within BWF to offer real leadership. It is what a lot of us asked for so John will have my support. Very Happy

However I prefer to look forward to the season ahead. Opening day on Chew is now only three weeks away on Thursday 8th March so is anyone else expecting to be on the bank in time to hear the airhorn at 7am? Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: mc07fly, blondie
blondie
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 hour nights for me I'm afraid Alan Rolling Eyes .
I do hope things goes well with this new initiative regarding the Trout fishing and my nagging doubts will be dispersed into oblivion Neutral .Please Bristol water,don't let us down.Yes you do need to make a profit but don't forget the customer Cool .Regards.Steve Smile
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame, Steve. I suppose I'll have to eat your Bacon Butty myself! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Anyone else got plans for opening day on any of the Lakes? Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

swampydick
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im unable to look at this season while the last season has yet to be put to bed, still waiting for end of season report!!
Ive normally brought my season ticket, tied some flies and treated myself to a new bit of kit at this time of year.
Appleman
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iíve got boats booked for Chew and Blagdon both of the opening Saturdays Alan. No plans to stand up at this stage although I might take my boy out for a short session if the banks are fishing ok. He likes his fishing a lot but enjoys catching as well, so heíll need a reasonable chance to make it worthwhile.

Swampy......BWF put a note out on FB at the beginning of December stating there would an end of season report out shortly, a drive to improve Customer Communications as well as a Customer Survey....So far nothing other than Pike comms. Iím as disappointed as you are!
codfather
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRISTOL WATER FISHERIES END OF SEASON REPORT

It has been a very good season, limit bags were taken from most marks on all the lakes, even in the warm months of July and August. Everyone went home happy most days and We expect to see You all again this coming season for an even better season. Tight Lines to All.
Appleman
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me...... Rolling Eyes
csfcodhunter
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codfather wrote:
BRISTOL WATER FISHERIES END OF SEASON REPORT

It has been a very good season, limit bags were taken from most marks on all the lakes, even in the warm months of July and August. Everyone went home happy most days and We expect to see You all again this coming season for an even better season. Tight Lines to All.

BW have reported that returns were so big last season that there is a delay in publishing the 2017 Report.

Liked by: arkle
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they find that meme from 3 or 4 years ago ?

Can only fish opening day on Chew this year, as have other things happening when Blagdon opens + they had NO tickets left anyway (?)
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No opening days for me this year - just started a new job, so won't be able to take the leave.

On a plus side I can see the edge of Tank 3 from my desk and I drive straight past on my way home, so I'm seeing lots of after work sessions in my future Very Happy
Liked by: Allrounder, blondie
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a season ticket for the Tanks might prove to be a good investment then, Dave. Cool

There was a good turnout as usual at the tackle auction at the Sailing Club last night. Well over 200 lots went under the hammer and there were some real bargains to be had particularly around rods, fly tying materials and a number of TLD type boat seats which went under the hammer for £35 or less. Shock

To be honest there wasn't anything I really needed but I had my eye on a #5/6 Vision Koma reel with 2 spare spools that were in very good condition but missed out due to not paying attention. They went for just £15!! Embarassed

Better news was that I won a lot consisting of three old reels for £13, which included a J.W. Young Rapidex in very good condition. A quick search on ebay this morning confirmed my suspicion that the current going price for the Rapidex is between £45 - £55 and double that with the original box which unfortunately mine doesn't have. However it is in such good nick that I think I will use it myself for trotting and I'll put the others on display. Smile

Hats off the the BRFFA members who organised and ran the auction last night and particularly to Dave Drake the auctioneer who was still going strong when I left at 10.45! Shock I don't know how he does it. Cool

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 8 of 28

Jump to: