The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Farmoor 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help thinking that maybe the fritz type "collar" should possibly be.................brown?
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylye wrote:
Can't help thinking that maybe the fritz type "collar" should possibly be.................brown?

Brown? A ginger Bits works well sometimes too.. Laughing
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: bloodworm Reply with quote

when in doubt get the ''red diddy'' out Idea

JP
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: bloodworm Reply with quote

JCP wrote:
when in doubt get the ''red diddy'' out Idea

JP

Good to see Mr Cove is still relevant to today's fishing.

Back to Farmoor, apparently they do a winter ticket for a 150 which gives you the option to fish for trout on the fly and predator fishing with lures for pike and perch from 1 st Nov to the end of February.
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter (FryFishing) and I had our last winter boat together on Farmoor 2 today and boy was it cold! Shock Laughing

We both arrived shortly after 8am and after being given a 15 point list of boat rules to sign (which I think you now have to sign every 6 months Rolling Eyes ) and a new fangled lifejacket with straps that go between your legs (when you can sort out what goes where! Laughing) we were soon on our way. Very Happy

I set up my usual D8 with a 12 foot leader with a White Booby Snake on the point and a small White Cats Booby on the dropper and we both hooked, landed and lost fish on the first drift so things were looking very promising. The next couple of drifts gave a similar result with a few taps and tugs to keep us interested but then as the brisk south westerly gradually increased we lost the fish despite adjusting our line lengths etc in an attempt to compensate for the faster drift.

Although the temperature was above freezing and there was no frost, the wind was absolutely bitter and the wind chill must have been below freezing. Eventually our fingers became too cold and stiff for us to tie knots Shock so we decided it was time to come in for a break. In fact my fingers were so bad I had to hold them under the hot air dryer in the loo to loosen them up Laughing

After a welcome brew and a bacon bap in the cafe to thaw us out we were ready to go again but due to the even fresh wind we decided to concentrate on the calmer top end of the reservoir. I rung the changes by changing the White Snake to a black one which was promptly bitten off by a pike (again!Rolling Eyes) and then tried a Black Booby on the point and different combinations on the dropper but although I had the occasional knock it was very tough going in that wind. Then more in desperation than insight I then decided to go back to my original combination of the White Booby Snake on the point and the smaller White Cats Booby on the dropper and that turned some of the tentative taps into solid pulls on the last couple of drifts.

Most of my fish came to the small White Cats Booby on the dropper rather than the Snake Booby on the point. Peter thought that could be due to the bigger fly attracting them in before they took the smaller fly. I think he may be right. Very Happy

Despite the bitter wind and waves we managed 9 to the boat and it says a lot for Farmoor that it can be relied on to come up with the goods in such conditions in the depth of winter. Many thanks once again to Peter for being the perfect boat partner and for acting as Ghillie for the day. I had a great time despite the cold! Laughing

Hopefully it will be a lot warmer when I'm his Ghillie on Blagdon later in the year! Laughing

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: lakefisher, VGB, JCP, Fryfishing, Silver Invicta, mc07fly
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alan, as you say it was blooming cold and another day with ice in the bottom of the boat.
I struggled to keep fish on all day, even when they were on a tight line they managed to throw the hook despite having sharp barbless hooks as per C&R rules.

Ben the warden did say that the fish were in mid water and others earlier in the week had been successful fishing loch style, but my fish finder was showing the majority of fish were in the lower depths.

I did have several takes by retrieving with short pulls and hooked my biggest fish of the day doing this but it did a spectacular leap out of the water and threw the hook Embarassed
Despite the cold and frustration of loosing so many fish it was another good day spent fishing with Alan.
Roll on the warmer weather.

A couple of updates.
There was a stocking of fish into both reservoirs, the water clarity is very good and the level is only a few steps off full.

I also need to tie some snake boobies as it did seem to give Alan the edge on the day.
P
Liked by: VGB, JCP, Allrounder, lakefisher
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done gents. I am very impressed with your fortitude in those temperatures! I have been looking for a window of warmer weather for a trip before I start my new job on the 19th, but as you say that wind chill is a killer - especially for soft southern hemi types like me Very Happy
Liked by: Allrounder
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The limitation of the method is wind speed. Once it gets over 10mph it becomes very tricky to get the line right down close to the deck - even with a DI8. I might be tempted out next week if the weather fits.
Liked by: Allrounder, lakefisher
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
]The limitation of the method is wind speed. Once it gets over 10mph

Very true as Alan I know from experience and in the winter it is also means it is blooming cold facing into the wind.
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this in the Farmoor page and thought it was worth posting http://dgfishing.co.uk/fly-fishing-farmoor-reservoirs/
Liked by: Fryfishing, lakefisher, JCP, Allrounder, mc07fly
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would get one in today before the weather mucked it all up again. Typically enough after days on end with too much wind, today there wasn't really enough for good backdrifting.

I started off just to the left of the old boat pontoon on the south side and the line had barely tightened up and wallop. On for a few seconds and then gone. Another few yards and same again - on and off. Three more good chances on the same drift came to nothing.

I tried a drift to the right of the pontoon and nothing until I wound in to change locations. THAT one stuck. Back to my original drift and one take resulted in a fish all of 5lb if not a bit more. Nothing thereafter.

A move to the north side resulted in a couple of abortive pulls. Over to the west bank and two fish in quick succession plus another two on and offs and a couple of half-hearted offers.

By mid-afternoon the wind had died away to what, in June, would be a perfect dry fly ripple, but for backdrifting it was no use at all.

Still, it was good to get out before the polar bears return this weekend.
Liked by: tenet, Allrounder, Fryfishing
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention in my last post that Farmoor now have new lifejackets. They are the 275N pattern as issued to the RNLI.

As they are about 70% more powerful than the 150N versions they had previously anyone unfortunately going for a swim wearing one can expect a lot more bang for their buck. In addition these new l/j's have two straps that attach to the back of the jacket, pass between the legs of the wearer and attach to the front of the jacket.

These are intended to prevent the jacket from riding up when inflated. I would advise people to treat these with caution. Do not have them too tight or it is entirely possible that "nuts" may be crushed. The rangers gave no advice or instructions when the jacket was issued. Anyone unsure about them had best ask before putting it on.
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got myself in a right tangle putting on those new lifejackets when I was last out with Peter. Embarassed Laughing

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wylye. You may have encountered some of the many stockies with soft mouths that they put in on the south side of No2.
They have also stocked a lot of fish into No1 half way along the causeway (bird hides) and at the top of the causeway .
The new life jackets are very good, it seems most of the people using them do not want the between the leg straps, as all three time I have had them all the straps have been tied up and need to be untangled.

My broadband at home is down, so I am awaiting a Virgin engineer on Monday to reconnect it.
Happy days.
Ff
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

I suspected a combination of newer fish plus the fact that the boat just wasn't moving quick enough to encourage the sort of takes that get a good "lock-up." I will try again this side of Easter, wind, weather and polar bears permitting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: