The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

one man fishing tent

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drybuzzer
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: one man fishing tent Reply with quote

Looking for a one man tent for the coming season and thought this time of year may be the best time to buy one.
Anyone got any recommendations ?
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: one man fishing tent Reply with quote

drybuzzer wrote:
Looking for a one man tent for the coming season and thought this time of year may be the best time to buy one.
Anyone got any recommendations ?

Depends on what type of fishing you're doing really. A lot of us on here use carp bivvies as they are more robust, comfortable and weatherproof than most small tents. However, if you're planning on hiking miles then you'd probably be better off popping down to 'Go Outdoors' or similar to have a look at the lighter weight ones on show. There's a good camping shop near Malin Bridge (on the tram route) with a decent display area but I can't remember it's name. Cool

Mind you, whatever you do, don't listen to MontanaJoe about tents....... Twisted Evil

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
drybuzzer
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carp bivvy it is then
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is all down to what type of camper you are. If like me you only want something for Socials or fishing trips that is quick to pitch and pack away and will keep you dry, then you could do a lot worse than a 3 person Pop Up Tent like one of these ...

My Pop Up tent has coped with everything including torrential rain and gale force winds in Cornwall and has only now given up the ghost after 11 years of faultless service due to a broken pole. Crying or Very sad

If you do decide to check out a Pop Up then don't be tempted to go for a 1 or 2 person version instead as they are too small, especially if you want to use a bed chair to sleep on. Also make sure it is double skinned / has a fly sheet as it helps to keep everything dry inside as well as keeping the bugs out Very Happy

I will be looking for a replacement soon and I have no hesitation whatsoever in looking for another Pop Up Tent. A quick search came up with this one but there might others that are more suitable as I note this one is only 104 cm high ...

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/2-seconds-3-man-green-id_8378284.html

Hope that helps.

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: drybuzzer
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pop-ups are brilliant tents - as evidenced by the number of chaps that use them very effectively at CFF socials.

However, they also give the rest of us innumerable laughs when the inexperienced owner tries to fold them up to return the tent into its bag Laughing

There's a knack to doing it Wink It pays dividends to read (and understand) the dismantling (des)(in)tructions and give it a tad of practice before showing everyone else that actually "you didn't"

HTH ...... Tony Laughing
Liked by: Allrounder
Lighthouse
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're considering anything 'serious' with regard to fishing and camping, particularly if wild camping's on the menu then it's worth investing in something that has the ability to withstand the rigours of year round use. I've used my North Face Mountain 25 for around 10 years now in conditions of extreme winds, rain and ice in some pretty remote locations and it's bullet proof. Hugely stable and as it's a two man it's snug but more than adequate and very comfortable with reasonable 'head room'.

However, if you're of a more adventurous spirit and fancy backpacking your way into some remote, car and person free areas then you'll need something you can carry in a pack - Like a Terra Nova Laser Competition 1 - a single man tent that weighs just under 1 kilo, including poles! These are for 'stripped down' camping but again they're tough, I used mine for back packing the Coast 2 Coast walk . . . not for the claustrophobic!

springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teifi Pools?
Lighthouse
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

springwell wrote:
Teifi Pools?

Yes, Lyn Hir, March 2008 . . . . with ice on the tent!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: