Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Bristol Water Reservoir Reports 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 46, 47, 48  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports -> Stillwaters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a good session at the Barrows yesterday. Started on number three and were followed around by this lonely goose.

Water levels very low and weed still a problem, so moved across to the house bank on number two. Picked up three fish before moving across to the causeway that backs onto number one. Picked up three more with the biggest being a battle scarred 4.5 pounder. Bit of an 'allsorts' day as the fish seemed to react to regular fly changes, which suited my ADHD style of fishing perfectly. Took my fish on a mini orange lure, Boobie Minkie and Black Leech.

Met a nice guy who was having a walk around the lakes. He had just started fly fishing and wanted to know what it was like fishing at the Barrows. Had to be honest and talked about the problems of the last few years and the uncertainty about the future of our Bristol fisheries. However, thanks to the work of the BRFFA there is now some light at the end of the tunnel! Well done guys for all your hard work. Days like these remind me of why I love the Barrows so much!
Liked by: Allrounder, blondie
trout
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appleman wrote:
*** IMPORTANT PRESS RELEASE ***

Over recent years the fragile future of Bristol Waters Fisheries has been an open secret throughout the angling community. BRFFA with the support of the Angling Trust (AT) and MPís have been taking steps to safeguard the future of these cherished and historic waters.

Please take time to read through todays AT Press Release and forward on to your angling colleagues.

The fight to save Bristol Water Fisheries begins....

Regards,

BRFFA Committee

http://www.anglingtrust.net/news.asp?itemid=4220&itemTitle=Anglers+celebrate+as+trout+fishing+saved+for+another+year+at+Chew+Valley+Lake&section=29&sectionTitle=Angling+Trust+News

http://www.anglingtrust.net/news.asp?itemid=4220&itemTitle=Anglers+celebrate+as+trout+fishing+saved+for+another+year+at+Chew+Valley+Lake&section=29&sectionTitle=Angling+Trust+News

Thanks for posting the update, very interesting article and obviously alot of interest from various parts of the community.
Liked by: Allrounder, arkle, blondie, lakefisher
blondie
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with what Charles walker mp has to say Sad Just about sums the board up Rolling Eyes
What a shame that it's come to this and why am I not suprised Sad Steve Sad
Liked by: Allrounder, lakefisher, arkle
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blondie wrote:
Agree with what Charles walker mp has to say Sad Just about sums the board up Rolling Eyes
What a shame that it's come to this and why am I not suprised Sad Steve Sad

Totally agree Steve - the present owners are an Investment company (ICON Infrastructure 50%. ICON Infrastructure (Bristol) 30%) which in turn are owned by a Canadian corporation. A Japanese company owns the 20% balance. They have a captive market as consumers cannot change providers so in essence they could, if they wanted, stick two fingers up to any criticism.

I think that the problems at Chew are far more ingrained than just management of the fishery - water quality, predation and dancing to English Natures tune are all very serious matters which would need addressing to enable Chew to return to its former glory. That being said I certainly hope that the endeavours of BRFFA and others can help with this difficult problem.
Liked by: arkle, Allrounder, blondie, mc07fly
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: BW Rescue Plans Reply with quote

Many thanks to Tim and all involved.Just got a foot in the stable door in time I reckon.Well done and realise this is just the beginning of a massive project.

Best JP
Liked by: blondie, lakefisher
Appleman
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.....Itís been a collective effort from the BRFFA Committee with support from the Angling Trust. The awareness raised through the clubs Facebook page so far has been unprecedented. As of today, more than 3,200 people have been reached which is staggering.

A 1 year reprieve is a good start but a lot needs to be done to restore rod visits back to 2013 numbers and above.
Liked by: arkle, blondie, lakefisher
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Some food for thought Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVDnQUprwzA&t=3s
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Liked by: lakefisher, blondie
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Some food for thought Reply with quote

arkle wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVDnQUprwzA&t=3s

Couldn't agree more - Water should never have been privatised

Tony
Liked by: arkle, Allrounder, blondie
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appleman wrote:
Thanks all.....Itís been a collective effort from the BRFFA Committee with support from the Angling Trust. The awareness raised through the clubs Facebook page so far has been unprecedented. As of today, more than 3,200 people have been reached which is staggering.

A 1 year reprieve is a good start but a lot needs to be done to restore rod visits back to 2013 numbers and above.

So what can we as individuals do Tim - not a flippant remark - a serious question

How's about we as forum members get our heads together and decide what we think is amiss - then perhaps we can work towards changing the opinions of "the board"

Heres my biggest grievance - re-instate the hour we have all lost at the end of any boat day - supposedly, or so I was told, it was lost for health and safety reasons "dangerous to land a boat at a jetty when its dark" - simple answer - switch the currently existing lights ON Rolling Eyes and give us back what's usually the best hour of the day.

Tony

Last edited by lakefisher on Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:

I think that the problems at Chew are far more ingrained than just management of the fishery - water quality, predation and dancing to English Natures tune are all very serious matters which would need addressing to enable Chew to return to its former glory. That being said I certainly hope that the endeavours of BRFFA and others can help with this difficult problem.

That sums up my thoughts too Doug, and I agree with Tony (lakefisher) that putting forward suggestions as customers may help along the path towards a solution.

For me, two of the most noticeable things in recent seasons on Chew has been the decline in fly life and 'top of the water' sport and the increase in the number of truly magnificent Brown trout coming to the pikers rods from October onwards. Many of these are now well in double figures with the record standing at over 20lb but very few if any of these fall to us trout fishers during the season. Once theory why we never see them is because they live in deeper water for most of the year and current fishery rules based on loch style fishing methods mean that it is almost impossible for fly fishers to target these big Brownies by fishing deep enough and effectively enough, especially as the deepest parts of the lake do not allow anchoring up.

My suggestion would therefore be to allow back drifting within the 'no anchoring area' only as a trial if necessary to allow us trout fishers a realistic opportunity to catch the trophy Browns that are known to exist in the lake. That could attract a new customer base who are only interested in catching large 'grown on' trophy trout. Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.

Last edited by Allrounder on Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liked by: mc07fly, lakefisher, blondie
csfcodhunter
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray!

At least it is now all out in the open, the BW "Master Plan" for CV lake (worst kept secret) is now common knowledge to all. Not sure how a few anglers is going to change the views of BW management though, but we must be positive.

Be warned they are an untrustworthy bunch at BW Senior Management level. This has been on the cards for 2 years remember. I have been harping on I know & I apologise to you all. This was no knee jerk decision for CV lake by BW, hope this is not just a "delayed stay of execution" for us?

Remembering it is all about £££ for BW shareholders etc, and we/all of us have to find a way to generate more income from CV - not BW it appears?

Well done to those for raising these concerns with them. Lets see how "serious" BW are at reviewing there planned policies going forward.

Fly fishing for trout at CV needs a total review/rethink of what a days fishing at CV is all about, boat tickets/bank tickets, stocking policies, nature, last hour of fishing policy on boats, a dedicated TD/BH style person to encourage/enthuse anglers, the Buzzer, water quality, etc. The list goes on.

But I am pleased that this planned decision is now out there!
Liked by: Allrounder, mc07fly, blondie
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CSF, re the "Last hour's" thing, I think you'll find that this has much more to do with BWW's chosen insurance co's ideas concerning Health & Safety, as they, like just about every other ins. co. do not want ANY potential liability against them.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
csfcodhunter
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take your point arkle and it is a fair one, but as stated previously within this thread, why don't BW set up some decent lighting like a lot of other fisheries operate across the UK, around the jetty?

Oh, yeh, that will cost £s. The "final hour" is not a major issue in reality as the problems within the running of the fishery are more deep rooted - IMO.
This is what is so frustrating when accountants start to run P+L accounts - they slowly "squeeze" them to death.
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CSF, couldn't agree more, "accounts RUN the world" & for what reason are spreadsheets (or more likely spreadsheets ARE more important...) more important than people ?

You only have to look at the gov's record of deaths re the ATOS a.o. scandal since it was brought in. These are of (mainly) disabled people, who died between 6 weeks before an "assessment" & up to 12 months after same. 104k, I kid you not, & been on the ATOS lists b.t.w.

Maybe the "deep-rooted" problems should maybe discussed here, as we know our "readership" go's beyond those who post here.
Liked by: blondie, lakefisher
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports -> Stillwaters All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 47 of 48

Jump to: