The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Montanajoe's Ramblings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Ladybower Last day Reply with quote

A lovely late autumn day with a little breeze. It was a one-off day when boats could loose feed with pellets which the did around the cages. Boats and tubes had allocated slots for fishing around the cages.

I started with an ILB and a sweet Susan booby on the dropper working along the roadside I hooked my first fish on the ILB. There was lots of fish feeding on the loose fed pellets which drifted down from the boats at the cages but they were proving difficult to take with all the free food. I decided to paddle across to Ladybower bay and suddenly hooked into something substantial on the booby which stated pulling me around a bit and was the only trout in recent time I had to play off the reel. Eventually I managed to fit it into my net at the second attempt. What a lump, more similar in shape to a carp than a trout! Rick was kind enough to take a few photos. It was the biggest fattest rainbow I’ve ever seen. It must have been a good 20lbs and was safely returned to pull someone else’s string. My first double in 45 years of fishing.

After that I went back in for a deserved cup of tea. I stayed away from the free offerings and worked the road shore and into Ladybower bay. I had great sport the remainder of the day with normal sized fish and a couple of small escapees which must have went ˝ lb at least. Most of these took the ILB. I ended up with 9 for the day with a lot of offers and lost fish.
Back at base I found out that 3 other fish around 20 mark had been caught by Rick, Frank and Paul.
What a last day before the boats come off. Bank fishing is still available by appointment. What a place!!

Liked by: lakefisher
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skinflint!!!!

When are you going to buy a bigger net? Twisted Evil

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your first double. It looks a corker.
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a slab!!! Shock Shock Cool

I would be afraid of being upended in a tube if I hooked something like that and it power dived! Laughing

Congratulations Iain! Cool

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Willington 17 February Reply with quote

Nice but chilly day and Willington beckoned. Set up with my trusty Di3 with a cat booby and big shuggy.
Straight away I got a fish in the checking in bay on the Cat. I worked my way over to the island and picked up another ˝ way across to the Shuggy this time. Worked around the island where I got another couple of rainbows and a nice brown. Things dried up so swapped the shuggy for a black/green tadpole and landed one straight away but to the Cat. Worked the area between the island and the big tree and there were fish in this area. A few offers and fish later I packed up after I landed 10 fish. My feet were getting cold and nature was calling so I called it a day.
Yet another fine example of the quality fishing DCAC has on offer. 10 quality fish in 3 hours fishing, not bad is it!
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Willington 17 February Reply with quote

montanajoe wrote:

Yet another fine example of the quality fishing DCAC has on offer. 10 quality fish in 3 hours fishing, not bad is it!

Not bad at all, especially at this time of year Iain. Cool

The DCAC does appear to offer very good value for money compared to what we have available 'down south'. Sad

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Toft Reply with quote

Decided to float tube Toft today. Scarped the ice off the car and set off across country.
Arrived to find a bitter east wind blowing into the car park. Boy was it a chilly wind. Set up only one rod, Di3 with a cat booby and black/green tadpole. Launched near the tower and worked the downwind area without an offer. Worked up the bank where there were two brave bank anglers. Just before I reached them fish no 1 came to the taddy. I had to move away from the bank anglers but they appeared to have pushed the fish further out and I found a little pod of fish here. I caught a few, all on the taddy before I decided to search other parts of the reservoir. All the bank anglers were fishing on the lee shore where rods were bent at regular intervals. I paddled by well away from them and worked my way round the reservoir with no luck at all. Went back to the original spot where I could fish without interfering with the bank anglers and caught another couple making the total up to eight for the day. I also had lots of offers and lost fish in this area. Met with Trev Ward who’d been having a good day near the black pipe.

Went home via the Yarborough Hunt where I met up with Richard for a welcome beer before listening to Scotland’s unbelievable victory in eth Calcutta Cup, rounding off another fine day.
Liked by: lakefisher, Allrounder
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Ogston 31 March Reply with quote

First time on Ogston this season. It was a Cold, Wet and windy day so I was the only one out at this point.

Started with a Di3 with a black/green tadpole and a cat booby. Walked up to Napoloeon Bank which had been fishing well. Not today though as the River Amber was in flood and had lived up to its name by colouring the bank all along past the sailing club.
Walked to the car park bank and had the first fish which followed me in and took on the lift off. A nice stockie which gave a good account of itself. Another followed later as I worked my way along the bank. I then had a double hookup and picked up the odd fish here and there including an overwintered fish from the far end of the long bank. There was a band of last years woody vegetation about 20 feet out which kept you on your toes. I lost a few flies to this so swapped to the floater but this didn’t make too much difference with snagging up as I was fishing it slowly. The fish were holding just outside this line not too far out. I did have a few follows as well.
Finished with 8 nice fish including 1 brown. The quality of the stock fish is very good so far this year.
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report Iain. Smile

Not in your tube this time I take it? Can't say I blame you! Laughing

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Carsington 7 April Reply with quote

Great day on Carsington. Loads of fish to be caught. Caught something nearly every spot. Weather was perfect for fishing. Struggled to find the fish at first. Eventually found them at tower bank, brown ale Bay and on the north shore. Black and green worked well with orange blob chipping in with a few. Even had two on buzzer. Floating line was best for me with slow sink better for other people. One boat had 75 from brown ale bay. I stayed away from the anchored boats and still managed 21.
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Ogston 9 May Reply with quote

Was driving past Ogston last night and it looked irresistible. With all my tackle in the car I was soon up and running, except I’d left my snips in the car so had to run back and fetch them before I could start. I tackled up initially with a cormorant, Cossack and a damsel. Had one offer which I missed but was slow going. I swapped the damsel for a montana which had similar effect, only one offer with no hook-ups. Around 7.30 I swapped the montana for a tequila blob. That was what they wanted and I had immediate reactions landing 5 in the next hour along with a lot of follows all to the blob so I removed the droppers to reduce tangles. Around 8.45 the wind dropped, odd fish started to move, the fish just switched on and it was almost a fish a cast. I landed another 4 and lost as many again before they switched off again. What a cracking last 2 hours fishing. I could potentially have caught over 20 fish if I’d connected with all of the offers I had. I was the only one there at last light. Everyone else had went home with only ones and twos in the book. If only they’d stayed an extra hour or so they could have had great sport. All the fish were of cracking stamp and quality. Nothing under 2lbs.
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Ogston 23 May Reply with quote

Fished last 3 hours at Ogston. Tackled up with a Montana and a Blob. Slight breeze from A bank down the Ressie. Tried all the way down the long bank but only saw one fish in that time with no offers. So I worked my way all the way back to the Napoleon bank where the wind was more favourable with still nothing. Looking at a blank, at 8.30 I had my first offer but missed it due to lack of attention span. Spurred on by he activity I had another good pull which I missed again. I saw a fish move and covered it and it took the blob. A good fight ensued before it came in. Lovely fish. Another couple of missed takes before I saw another fish move. A cast across gave rise to a chase where it gobbled down the blob again. Another quality fish. There was a good number of flies around but very few fish moving. I worked back to the car and manged a nice perch and another couple of good rainbows on the Montana. There may not be as many fish around but they are of exceptional stamp and quality fighting way above their weight.
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Ladybower 2 June Reply with quote

Another DCAC social competition loomed. I was all set up to go and win the float tube prize by default (as I’d be the only one). On arrival I was met with a smiling Sue who asked me if I’d like to fish with Nigel Clewes in a boat as his partner couldn’t make it. A difficult decision but the chance to fish with another new member was too good to pass up. Luckily, I had packed my waterproofs but managed to borrow a drogue from Martin which helped a lot on the day. The weather was overcast to start with which turned to rain and later brightened up. Good fishing conditions. The fish were up in the water as we could see fish moving most of the day. Nigel was first off the mark after I had a couple of follows with a small fish near the roadside plughole. We chopped and changed flies and Paul was catching consistently on boobies. I put a small SKB signature blob on which got me my first fish. The number of fish that followed to the boat or took on the lift off was unreal for me. Only 3 of my fish took during the retrieve, with the remainder taking on the lift off. Nigel hit into a really big fish (probably a good double) which jumped a couple of times before throwing the hook. Poor Nigel I really felt for him as this was a real lump. Fish were showing on top throughout the day but were not too keen on taking artificials. Paul seemed to have cracked the code as he managed 19 for the day. We managed 12 to the boat which wasn’t bad given the conditions. If only Nigel had landed that big one that would have made my day. The only downside was the size of a lot of the fish but they were present in numbers.

A decent spread and a pint at the Ladybower Inn followed along with a bit of banter and the usual ribbing. Another successful day at one of our blue-ribbon fisheries we have on our club ticket.
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Ladybower 23 June Reply with quote

A nice warm day with a bit of high cloud. Went out with Rich in the tube. Tackled up with diawl, GRHE and a blob on a floating line and an intermediate with a blob and ILB.
Started on the inter and had a double hook up almost straight away. Switched to the floater after a while and started picking up fish regularly, mainly to the diawl. The blob was replaced with various flies which all caught, however the main killer was the diawl on the middle. Just a simple case of cast out and let it drift until you got a hit. Some nice fish were around, 4 of them over 3lbs but no monsters. Kept changing the point fly including a soldier badger which picked up 3 for me. Rich meanwhile was catching regularly on a GRHE while the diawl was bets for me. We stopped for lunch and a beer with double figures each. After a long lunch we ventured out again with similar results. We ended up with 34 fish between us before a civilised finish.
After recent outings a really good day out in good company.
Liked by: Whistlekiller, lakefisher
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an unbelievably good result in the current weather conditions, Iain! Shock

Obviously the water temperatures are still reasonable for trout fishing 'Oop North' Laughing

Top angling! Cool

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 27 of 28

Jump to: