Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Line Tips
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Fly Casting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lighthouse
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 9ft, 5wt, Sage TCR which is a great technical casting rod (hence TCR) but positively horrid as a fishing rod with a 5wt line. I occasionally use it for fishing with a series of shooting heads that I tailored from 7wt weight forward lines - mostly in the range of 33 - 45ft depending on density and purpose. Choice of shooting line is important and if extreme distance isn't essential then braided mono is a good choice because of its resistance to tangling. However, if distance is important then a limp mono is the way to go. When it was available, fluorescent yellow Stren was a common choice.

Last edited by Lighthouse on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are spoilt for lines these days, if you read those still water trout books from the 70s & 80s you had to make your own lines from mill ends and shooting line.
Sparton was a good supplier of things you needed and Steve was always prepared to give no nonsense advice.
That has made me think of Arthur Cove using an old de-greased floating line as a slow sink.

P
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making up your own shooting heads - that brings back memories!

I used to buy up cheap mill ends lines from Mullarkeys and I remember making up one particular intermediate shooting head that I got just right and it flew out of the rings effortlessly. I then lost it somewhere and never quite got the replacements to work the same. Sad

My shooting line of choice was braided mono simply because it tangled less, although I also used Amnesia on fast sinkers which was OK after a good stretch. I then graduated onto using the thinner running line from #4 or #5 mill ends behind an #8 or #9 weight forward head but now the line manufacturers do that for me. Laughing

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Lighthouse
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything you ever wanted to know about shooting heads . . . and some more!

http://globalflyfisher.com/fish-better/shooting-heads

It's a very, very good resource.
Liked by: Fryfishing
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting thanks for posting it.
I may try a few of the casting tips mentioned in it with the forty plus lines I have.
My half double tapper line is a 7 on a six weight rod which works well for general fishing from the bank.
Thanks
P
Lighthouse
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:

My half double tapper line is a 7 on a six weight rod which works well for general fishing from the bank.
Thanks
P

There's no reason why it shouldn't. The first 30ft of an AFTM 6 line (minus the level tip) should weigh around 10.42g, whereas an AFTM 7 would be around 11.99g, just 1.57g more or roughly about 6 to 7 feet of line. So, if your rod is a 'true' 6 weight and your 7 weight line is a 'true' 7wt ( Shock ) your rod should load with around 24ft of the 7wt line outside the rod tip.

The problem arises when lines aren't quite what they purport to be on the box. 40 plus lines, for example, 'push the limits' of the AFTM Scale, Rio Golds are at the top end of the limits for each line weight too.
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I remember, each increase in a.f.t.m. numbers allows for a 10% increase in weight, also most rods are or at least used to be one line rate below their capabilities. So a no, 8 rated rod, should handle a 9 without any problems. Some years ago, almost every rod had ratings on them for different line weights, so a rod maybe rated #6/7. so it would, or should have been able to cope with a d.t.6 & a w.f.7 & in some cases shooting head of 30ft #8 depending on line type, maybe a floater, but perhaps not a d.i.7.

However these days, it's very unusual to find such blanks, as they're made to much tighter tolerances, maybe to save weight & possibly more likely to save the manufacturers materials.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Lighthouse
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkle wrote:
Some years ago, almost every rod had ratings on them for different line weights, so a rod maybe rated #6/7. so it would, or should have been able to cope with a d.t.6 & a w.f.7 & in some cases shooting head of 30ft #8 depending on line type, maybe a floater, but perhaps not a d.i.7.

This is, I'm afraid a bit of an 'urban myth'. The AFTM system measures the front 30ft of a line (minus level tip) irrespective of whether the line in question is a DT or WF . . . the front 30ft of DT7 should weigh the same as a WF7 and irrespective of whether it's a floater, intermediate or di7. The marketing of rods with a broad range of line ratings was a marketing ploy and one which was designed to promote the advantages of carbon rods when they were first available . . . I have a 9ft, Sue Burgess Diamondback that is rate 4 to 7!

It is a simple fact that all rods, even cane but particularly carbon will comfortably handle a range of line weights - depending upon what it is you're asking them to do - if this wasn't the case we'd never be able to use French Leaders. What's written on the rod butt is simply a guide, a starting point and the choice of rod action, line weight and profile is a decision that's informed by how and where you fish.
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lighthouse wrote:
arkle wrote:
Some years ago, almost every rod had ratings on them for different line weights, so a rod maybe rated #6/7. so it would, or should have been able to cope with a d.t.6 & a w.f.7 & in some cases shooting head of 30ft #8 depending on line type, maybe a floater, but perhaps not a d.i.7.

This is, I'm afraid a bit of an 'urban myth'. The AFTM system measures the front 30ft of a line (minus level tip) irrespective of whether the line in question is a DT or WF . . . the front 30ft of DT7 should weigh the same as a WF7 and irrespective of whether it's a floater, intermediate or di7. The marketing of rods with a broad range of line ratings was a marketing ploy and one which was designed to promote the advantages of carbon rods when they were first available . . . I have a 9ft, Sue Burgess Diamondback that is rate 4 to 7!

It is a simple fact that all rods, even cane but particularly carbon will comfortably handle a range of line weights - depending upon what it is you're asking them to do - if this wasn't the case we'd never be able to use French Leaders. What's written on the rod butt is simply a guide, a starting point and the choice of rod action, line weight and profile is a decision that's informed by how and where you fish.

In other words, A 4# rod would easily handle a 7# line but with the equivalent weight of 7# line compared to 30ft of 4# line out of the tip ring. I once accidentally put an 11# line on a 7# rod but once I'd adjusted and got used to the amount of line loading the rod (there wasn't a lot of it to be fair!) it all worked fine. Very Happy

Web - SKB Fly Fishing
Facebook - SKB Facebook
Twitter - SKB Twitter
Blue Hound - Web Music
Lighthouse
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whistlekiller wrote:
I once accidentally put an 11# line on a 7# rod but once I'd adjusted and got used to the amount of line loading the rod (there wasn't a lot of it to be fair!) it all worked fine. Very Happy

Allbeit a rather extreme example . . . but yes!

I would use the analogy of a float fishing rod and a 4oz beach casting lead. It is entirely feasible that you could gently swing a 4oz lead some distance using a float rod and 3lb line. I cannot imagine a fishing situation where it would be recommended but it is well within the realms of possibilities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Fly Casting All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: