Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Winter Croc Hunt 2017 /18

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Fly Fishing For Pike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Winter Croc Hunt 2017 /18 Reply with quote

Once fly piking at Chew has to all intents and purposes comes to an end I usually turn my attention to other venues including the Somerset Levels although I have to say it seems to be getting harder every year to renew my Bridgwater AA subs. This year I had to complete a 60 mile round trip to renew after 2 authorised dealers didn't have any in stock!!! Mad OK - rant over. Smile

After a couple of early morning frosts it turned out to be quite mild yesterday so I thought I would visit one of my favourite haunts on the Levels. I arrived shortly before noon to find the water level up but the clarity was not bad for this venue so things looked quite promising. Over the past couple of years this area has had a hammering from pot hunters, cormorants and otters so now I walk about a mile before fishing which is a shame but that's how it is. I set up my usual #8 weight and intermediate combination with a white fly to start with but after having no joy I changed to a gold and silver flashabou style pattern than usually gets the Jacks excited when the going is tough. However even this fly looked like it would fail to come up with the goods until something stopped it in its tracks a couple of rod lengths from the bank and after a short scrap a small Jack was in my net ...

A few casts later further up the bank I had another boil after the fly but further quick successive casts failed to interest it further including a change to a Perch pattern. After that I carried on 'step and cast' style up the bank as there are few obvious fish holding features on this stretch ...

I had nothing to show for the next couple of hours until I changed to a silver flashabou fly and tried a swim I fished earlier while on my way back to the car. This involved a tricky cast beneath some overhanging branches but fortunately a small Jack appreciated my efforts by pouncing on the fly seconds after it landed. It gave a short tussle in mid water then made a bee line for my bank and managed to get stuck in undergrowth under my feet while I was frantically reeling in my line! Fortunately I managed to free it with the help of my net without joining it ... Rolling Eyes

By now the light was starting to fail so I called it a day. So mission accomplished - blank avoided!! Laughing

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: BristolFlyer, lakefisher, Whistlekiller, blondie, welshtoffo
trout
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Al, thanks for sharing as usual.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Fly Fishing For Pike All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: