Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

True or False?

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying Forum -> Fly Tying Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: True or False? Reply with quote

Liked by: fossil-fish
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will go false
Surprised Surprised

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also say false ... unless you source your fly tying materials yourself for little or no cost. Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tie your own flies. Shock

Goodness me, I have a man to do that for me.
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can never be anything other than false. Or anyone wanna buy around 10-15k's worth of kit, on current guesstimate...
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Lighthouse
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if your were to discount the cost of vice and tools and you were an 'ultra minimalist' in your fly selection you would still struggle to save money by 'rolling your own'.

The major benefit of being able to tie your own flies is that you can, with practice, tie exactly what you want to fish with and not what someone else thinks is a good idea or someone lse's interpretation of a pheasant tail or whatever.
Liked by: Allrounder
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your a funny guy.

FALSE. but more fun Very Happy
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, actually I think it is true, but only up to a point. My two favourite river nymphs are a PTN and a Hare's Ear, so lets disect those two.

My PTN (river) Tails, Coq de Leon - an extravagance but a bunch of CDLs will tie at least 250 flies so the cost per fly is minimal. Rib is copper wire and a spool of that will also tie hundreds of flies. The body is good old cock pheasant centre tail and that costs me nothing. In fact, I get paid to go and collect them. Thorax is a seal fur mix and a small pinch of fur is all that is needed. Hundreds of flies per packet. The main cost is the hook and the bead so the total cost per fly runs out at less then 20p. Won't get a shop-bought fly of that quality for that price.

My GRHE (river) Tails as above. Rib is fine gold holographic which is a couple of quid a spool and can tie hundreds of flies.Body of hare's fur. This cost nothing as I get a skin from the butcher every four or five years, cure it myself which is simple, and can tie several hundred flies with it. Thorax as above and hook & bead as above. So, again, less than 20p per fly for bespoke patterns.

The trick is not to buy what you don't need. Reminder to self: See butcher as I am getting short of hares fur.

I also have stillwater versions of the above flies and the costs are much the same.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="wylye"]

The trick is not to buy what you don't need.

I guess that Bob has summed it up there, unfortunately it a bit like only having one last cast before I pack up.
Easier said than done.
Lighthouse
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylye wrote:
Well, actually I think it is true, but only up to a point.
My PTN (river) Tails, Coq de Leon - an extravagance but a bunch of CDLs will tie at least 250 flies so the cost per fly is minimal. Rib is copper wire and a spool of that will also tie hundreds of flies. The body is good old cock pheasant centre tail and that costs me nothing. In fact, I get paid to go and collect them. Thorax is a seal fur mix and a small pinch of fur is all that is needed. Hundreds of flies per packet. The main cost is the hook and the bead so the total cost per fly runs out at less then 20p. Won't get a shop-bought fly of that quality for that price.

. . . and then you begin to wonder. What if I tied it on a gold hook with olive dyed pheasant tail and a very narrow gold rib . . . and maybe a thorax of brown olive icedub . . . and so it begins . . .

wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lighthouse wrote:
wylye wrote:
Well, actually I think it is true, but only up to a point.

. . . and then you begin to wonder. What if I tied it on a gold hook with olive dyed pheasant tail and a very narrow gold rib . . . and maybe a thorax of brown olive icedub . . . and so it begins . . .

But it's still a PTN though I doubt there's any advantage in using dyed pheasant tails given the wide colour range of the naturals from pale buff through to melanistic.
Lighthouse
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylye wrote:
But it's still a PTN though I doubt there's any advantage in using dyed pheasant tails given the wide colour range of the naturals from pale buff through to melanistic.

Indeed 'it's still a PTN . . .' and no matter what you may doubt, my point was that, with the benefit of being able to tie your own flies and an enquiring mind, you may just drop on a pattern / combination of materials that, on its day, will fish the pants off a standard PTN.

More than probably I could quite easily fish an entire river season with just a couple of dry flies and a couple of nymphs in suitable sizes and 'shades', but personally, I'd find that a bit dull and I get huge pleasure and satisfaction from fly tying and developing my own patterns and variations . . . hence, it ain't cheap.
Liked by: tenet
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lighthouse wrote:
wylye wrote:

More than probably I could quite easily fish an entire river season with just a couple of dry flies and a couple of nymphs in suitable sizes and 'shades', but personally, I'd find that a bit dull and I get huge pleasure and satisfaction from fly tying and developing my own patterns and variations . . . hence, it ain't cheap.

Which is why I stated in my first post "up to a point."

Sure, anyone can spend a lot of money on materials, hooks and tools. A few weeks ago I was asked by a client if I would go through his fly tying materials collection and get it into some sort of order. It rapidly became clear that he could not resist buying something wherever he went into a shop selling fly tying stuff. He didn't NEED 6 packs of black goat hair, but he had them as well as four packs of orange bucktail plus many more materials, most of which were unopened. It was totally crazy and it took me about 6 hours in total to get some sort of sense into it all. He just had to have the latest thing even if he hadn't the faintest idea what to do with it.

Actually I DO fish and guide with just three nymphs - the two I've already mentioned plus a shrimp pattern I first made in 1971 and which has been updated since. If I or my clients can't get a few fish on those then they aren't to be had because they are flies that I have total faith in. I reckon the shrimp alone has caught somewhere in the order of 10,000 fish for me and others I have made it for.

As for dries I have three mayfly patterns plus three other dries that get regular use. There's another few hundred patterns in the box that "one day" will catch.

Fly tying CAN be cheap. When I tied semi-pro back in the '70's and '80's I was constantly on the hunt for free materials. I went turkey plucking one Christmas and got paid to collect "marabou". I didn't need to guy a single marabou feather for over 20 years because as well as the natural white I dyed them black, olive and orange, those being the favourite colours of the day. When I went beating I got pheasant tails and begged the keepers to shoot me a few squirrels. I still get free pheasant tails plus French Partridge feathers. I used to get dozens of Mallard Bronzes for free as well, and have a look to see how much THOSE are. You won't get many Mallard & Clarets per feather!

That was the whole point of my post. Materials can be obtained for free with a bit of effort. And really I doubt there is and real advantage in dyed pheasant tails. The removal of the black bars is beyond most of us. Can you genuinely say that the nymph in your photo shows up olive? It doesn't and I doubt it would make a difference even if it did.
Lighthouse
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylye wrote:
And really I doubt there is and real advantage in dyed pheasant tails. The removal of the black bars is beyond most of us. Can you genuinely say that the nymph in your photo shows up olive? It doesn't and I doubt it would make a difference even if it did.

Apologies for the quality of the fly image and the colour rendition, it was a quick 'grab shot'. I do admit to something of a love affair with pheasant tail and enjoy using it in its many guises . . . which is good enough for me.

Liked by: arkle
Grenadier
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes u can save money tying your own providing you stick to just tying for river or still water. But saying that the magazines have a lot to answer for regarding flies? If that's what they call some inventions. It is only when u start using man made fibres things change. Being able to experiment with patterns can be fullfilling but remember that when u change any materials for any known pattern it is now called a VARIANT! i enjoy fly tying and have done for over 35yrs. I do have lots of various materials and update as necessary. I recycall hooks from old or experimental patterns (if it breaks in the vice whilst being stripped that's ok but pretty rare) if u have somewhere private like a shed or spare room to do this hobby then time can pass very quickly but while u r doing it u r thinking of nothing else like when u r fishing and u don't have to pay over the odds for a vice either. Do it and enjoy it. 😊😊😊😊
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying Forum -> Fly Tying Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: