Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Howzabout a thread featuring simple tips ????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> General Fly Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Howzabout a thread featuring simple tips ???? Reply with quote

We all utilise them every now & then as simple remedies for otherwise annoying problems ....
so wouldn't it be great if we could share them with our fellow fishos.

I will start the ball rolling with a solution to a problem that has annoyed me for years.

Nowadays battery operated watches are very affordable, never need winding & are supremely
accurate.

However in a consumer hungry "throwaway" world as we know it to be this obviously presents
a problem for the manufacturers as how to incorporate a factor of planned obsolescence, therefore
come up with the idea of using straps with a very limited life & designed so as to be non replaceable.

If like myself, you have a collection of watches with broken strap languishing in a drawer still "ticking"
over telling the correct time then no doubt you will be as annoyed as I am.

OK grab two short lengths of Velcro strapping costing next to nothing joining them to fit your wrist then
simply apply a smear of superglue to the back of the watch, put the strap in position & hold it in place
with a couple of spring type clothes pegs until glue sets after a minute or two ... Presto .... all done.

OK may not be the watch to wear to a formal occasion but is ideally suited to out on the water or in
situations where a watch might get lost or dirty ... NB such as paint splashes on the one in the pic.

Who else would like to share a tip or two they use or know of & so much the better if fishing related.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Idea.
It seems here in the UK only the older generations wear watches as all the others under a certain age just look at their phones to check the time.

My tip would be look both ways when crossing a one way street other wise you will be run over by a bloody cyclist.
Very Happy
Ff
Liked by: arkle
Lighthouse
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:
Good Idea.

My tip would be look both ways when crossing a one way street other wise you will be run over by a bloody cyclist.
Very Happy
Ff

. . . statistically, you'd be very unlucky!

*Around 98% of serious or fatal pedestrian injuries in urban areas (i.e. where pedestrians are most likely to be) are due to collisions with motor vehicles.

*From 2011 - 2015 cycles accounted for around 2% of all urban, non-motorway vehicular traffic and were involved in just over 1% of pedestrian fatalities and 1.8% of serious injuries to pedestrians.

*The vast majority of vehicle-related pedestrian injuries on the footway/verge involve a motor vehicle, not a cycle: from 2005-14 (GB), 98.5% of pedestrian fatalities and 95.7% of pedestrian serious injuries that happened in collisions on a footway/verge involved a motor vehicle.

*From 2005-14, no pedestrians in Britain were killed by red light jumping cyclists, while around five a year were killed by red light jumping drivers.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/campaigning/views-and-briefings/pedestrians
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not in London, the buggers are everywhere including the pavement.
The law does not apply to cyclist apparently.
The new menace now is stolen scooters, I was narrowly missed yesterday when one jumped a red light in Finsbury Park.
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:
Not in London, the buggers are everywhere including the pavement.
The law does not apply to cyclist apparently.
The new menace now is stolen scooters, I was narrowly missed yesterday when one jumped a red light in Finsbury Park.

Not just London...............
Liked by: arkle
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone interested in cycling and other road related accidents can have a look at this report, otherwise Baz's "Simple Tips" thread is going to end up derailed from post two onwards......a new forum record I fear..... Very Happy

Link: DoT Report 2016

My tip for the day is this: Don't report your debit card lost and ask for a replacement until you've checked what you're sitting on.. Mad

Web - SKB Fly Fishing
Facebook - SKB Facebook
Twitter - SKB Twitter
Blue Hound - Web Music
Lighthouse
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishing related . . .

Avoid sneezing when opening 50 size 20 hooks wrapped in rust proof paper.
Liked by: Whistlekiller
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always carry a small empty water bottle with me to put waste mono, fluorocarbon and braid in, when it is full It the goes into the bin.
Very Happy
Liked by: BristolFlyer
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:
I always carry a small empty water bottle with me to put waste mono, fluorocarbon and braid in, when it is full It the goes into the bin.
Very Happy

Good idea FF but if I may, would like to mention an alternative method, but firstly re your suggestion of a water bottle ....
a small sealable wide mouth jar filled with fresh water can be useful when SW flyfishing to drop used flies or whatever
into to prevent them from rusting.

As for mono/flouro waste ... flyfishing friend with the same problem most of us endure, namely washing machines that
continually manage to devour one only of your best pair of sox, that has made many a man suspicious that maybe his
wife has a one legged lover who she is keeping supplied with sox, has come up with a form of consolation.

He carries one of the remaining sox in his pocket whilst fishing into which he puts any mono/flouro waste then bins it
when full, moving on to another one, that will have surely evolved in the meantime.

The latter tip will not work for Aussie's unfortunately, as they only wear jandals that they call thongs, due to the fact they
have trouble pronouncing words of more than one syllable or five letters & they mostly wear them because it requires an
IQ of 1 1/2 to tie up laces.
Liked by: Fryfishing
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut a 1 litre pop/water bottle in half and take with you when boating on Farmoor - they don't provide balers and at my age I don't have enough pressure to pee over the side. Smile Cool
Liked by: Fryfishing, drybuzzer
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
Cut a 1 litre pop/water bottle in half and take with you when boating on Farmoor - they don't provide balers and at my age I don't have enough pressure to pee over the side. Smile Cool

Have you tried double hauling Doug? Twisted Evil

Web - SKB Fly Fishing
Facebook - SKB Facebook
Twitter - SKB Twitter
Blue Hound - Web Music
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whistlekiller wrote:
tenet wrote:

Have you tried double hauling Doug? Twisted Evil

Gave that up years ago Shock Confused

Edit - Whilst talking innuendo - when threading a bobbin holder place thread in bottom and suck from the top. Saves frigging about with threaders.

Pps - Rich, I hope you've posted my new line and roman moser loops. Cool
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A further "tip" with bobbin holders, is to add a 20mm or so length of silicone or similar soft tubing to the bottom entry end of the holder's tube as that will prevent thread tangling round the leg(s) of the holder.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Andrew Moray
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazza wrote:
As for mono/flouro waste ... flyfishing friend with the same problem most of us endure, namely washing machines that
continually manage to devour one only of your best pair of sox, that has made many a man suspicious that maybe his
wife has a one legged lover who she is keeping supplied with sox, has come up with a form of consolation.

He carries one of the remaining sox in his pocket whilst fishing into which he puts any mono/flouro waste then bins it
when full, moving on to another one, that will have surely evolved in the meantime.

Excellent stuff ! Very Happy
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazza, although I only have one leg & do not even know the lady in question.... I do still manage to wear 2 different socks, namely as the normal one's don't fit over a plaster cast - which has been there for about 13/14 months in various guises.....
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> General Fly Fishing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: