Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Bristol Water Reservoir Reports 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports -> Stillwaters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
csfcodhunter
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last trip out at Chew this week for trout, end of season for me now as the cod will soon be here.
Fished the bank at Wick, early doors as the grapevine around CV said there were a few about early am.
Well by lunchtime I had 7, released 5, kept 2.
All were stocked fish but in good nick. Fish are very close in at dawn, so not really much point wading.
Mate had 5 also. All taken on nymphs, but went quiet without any breeze.
There are still some trout in the lake, but Wick and Villace are the only areas holding good no.s

Wonder what next season holds for CV?
Liked by: Allrounder, blondie, tenet, Silver Invicta
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a good few hours on the bank at Chew this afternoon. I was going to start at Woodford and then head over to Wick when the wind dropped later, but ended up staying on Woodford as the wind was right and there was enough action to keep me interested.

Ended up with three caught and a few swirls and enquiries. All on hoppers, each fish on a different colour! I tried minkies quite a bit too but no luck. Boats seemed to be doing quite well, a chap in front of me had a 6lb brown and another boat had a really good day with a bunch of 3 and 4lb fish on DBs.

Not much predator activity around the dock, but lots of buzzer hatching - very small green one sand then some good sized black ones.
Liked by: Allrounder, blondie
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rumour mill seems to be suggesting that the 30lb pike caught at Blagdon on the fly/pike day was a planted fish by B.W.
Very Happy
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:
The rumour mill seems to be suggesting that the 30lb pike caught at Blagdon on the fly/pike day was a planted fish by B.W.
Very Happy

BW can be accused of many things but I doubt very much that they would feel it necessary to plant a 30lb Pike in Blagdon. Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: lakefisher, blondie
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:
Very Happy

That backs up what I've always thought about the rumour mill Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think someone may get an even bigger surprise when the boats spread out and start prospecting in some of the quiet corners of Blagdon...
Liked by: blondie, lakefisher
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my pretty sophisticated electronics are to be believed - there's many more than one thirty in there - On Friday some of the return echo's and associated sound shadows I saw were HUGE Shock

Tony Wink
Liked by: blondie
Doombar
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need a bigger boat Tony.....
Liked by: lakefisher, trout
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this time of the year you have to take advantage of good weather when you can so in that spirit I took a last minute afternoon boat today at Chew. The conditions were as good as you could wish for in October and so I set my first drift up in front of the spur at the northern end of Denny. I started with dries but after a drift with no response or any sign of fish I decided to head across the lake to Wick where the bank fishermen had been doing well by all accounts. Here I met Geoff (Dipper) and his boat partner Andrew who were anchored around 100 yard or more off Wick so I followed suit by anchoring around a 100 yards to their right.

The water clarity here was very good despite the wind blowing onto the shore and the bank anglers were certainly making hay with all three of them catching a couple of fish each fish while I was there. Geoff also had a few from the boat but all I had were two of these gentlemen ... Rolling Eyes

After an hour or so and a few 'bite offs' I decided it was time to do what I had really intended to do before I got distracted and so I set sail back to the jetties to try my luck with fast sinker and fry patterns for the Brownies and Perch. The wind was just right for a drift from the jetties along the front of the Sailing Club and on my first drift I got a really savage pull which stripped the line through my fingers at a rate of knots. I knew instantly that this was a good Brownie and it took me right around the boat mixing strong runs with much thrashing about on the surface before the hook pulled free. Embarassed I got a look at it at distance and I would have said it was about 5lb or so but that's all academic when they throw the hook. Crying or Very sad

Further drifts got some interest from the Perch but they were small until a few sharp taps signalled the start another series of surging runs and much thrashing about until I was able to bring this one to the net ...

This fish didn't feel as powerful as the one I lost so I wasn't too surprised when the scales read 3lb 6oz. I was just relieved to notch up my first Brownie of the back end! Further drifts came to nothing before it was time to come in at 6.35pm. Apparently there were 3 x Brownies landed today over 10lb by the Pikers with the biggest going 16lb+! Shock

I would love to get one of those on fly gear before the season ends. Cool

Until next time ...

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

Liked by: lakefisher, BristolFlyer, tenet, blondie, Bovver, trout
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Allrounder on Chew Reply with quote

Hello Alan

Nice fish and shame about the lunker.I had originally planned on a Chew visit but it was tad busy so guessing a lot of pike boats out ? Luckily I chose a good alternative.Obviously a little out of touch with the current BW schedules.I could have had a boat but thinking fishing would be a fairly localised did not fancy an armada scenario on pleasure day.John in the office did mention Blagdon but not sure of the levels and access to the boats with my hip the way it is.Hope you nail a jetty monster big'un Alan before close of play.

Best JP
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Allrounder on Chew Reply with quote

JCP wrote:
I had originally planned on a Chew visit but it was tad busy so guessing a lot of pike boats out ?

The pike boats were mainly congregated from the bird hide on Moreton down to the mouth of Herons so I didn't really notice them until it was time to come in. Then it was like the D Day landings when they all came charging back to the jetties at the last minute! Laughing For those that don't want to share it is worth noting that there are some dates like 28th - 31st October when there is no pike fishing. More details here

Clarity was very good at Chew and also at Blagdon last Friday and it is probably fishing better for trout than it has for a while, although they did seem to be rather localised and close to the shore which favoured the bank anglers.

Water levels are down at both lakes which means a longer walk to the boats at Blagdon, but it is not as low yet as it got last year.

HTH

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

Liked by: trout, lakefisher
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Sharing Reply with quote

No worries sharing with Esox men but I thought it was all trout boats and with fish being not too well spread is why did not fancy the armada scenario.All turned out well in the end.Do fancy a trip to BW before close of play.Have to see what the weather gods have in store.Were you anchored off wick due to weed banks ?

Best JP
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCP wrote:
.Were you anchored off wick due to weed banks ?

There was very little weed directly in front of Wick although it became a problem once you went past the bird hide towards Stratfords. The main reason we anchored up was because the NW wind was blowing us onshore where there were bank anglers deep wading. Smile

Dave (bristolflyer) and I shared a boat for our annual autumn 'lump hunt' at Chew today but we found it hard going. The weather was reasonable for the time of year and although there was a little more wind than we had hoped for we were feeling quite confident when we left the jetty.

As the name suggests, our aim during this session was to use tactics to target bigger fish if possible so we started our first drift from the jetties towards the Sailing Club on D5 or faster sinking lines and fry patterns. Things seemed to get off to a good start when towards the end of the first drift I got a solid pull but I realised early on that it wasn't the Brown or Perch I was hoping for and that was confirmed when it returned my leader minus the dropper which had been neatly bitten off! Rolling Eyes

The next drift produced a small Perch by the jetty and then I lost a small rainbow up in Villice on either the White Snake or Sparkler Booby but that was it for the morning so we decided to try a drift by false island with floating lines for a change but still had no joy. Next we looked at Wick which was well populated with bank anglers deep wading with one or two catching, but a spell anchored up and another drifting with dries and nymphs resulted in nothing at all so we decided to go back to Villice and the 'dark side'. It was at the end of a long drift from Villice to Woodford that Dave eventually had a very lively Rainbow quite close in on a White Booby to break our duck. Although a very nice fish getting on for 3lbs, it wasn't a real 'lump' but it was a lump to us after a hard day on the water! Laughing Cool

After a few more unproductive drifts in front of the Sailing Club and by the cages we called it a day at 6.15pm before the pike armada returned to the jetties.

As an aside I had my sounder on board and it was interesting to see how tightly the fry were shoaled up between the jetties and the cages. One minute nothing, then fish right up through the water column for 50 metres or so, then nothing again. However despite repeated drifts we never had any takes apart from the occasional nibble from tiny Perch. It was the only place the sounder picked up any concentrations of fry anywhere on the lake and we only saw a couple of fish move on top later on in the afternoon. Sad

Until next time ...

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

Liked by: lakefisher, tenet, arkle, BristolFlyer, blondie
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We gave it our best shot we really did Very Happy The lumps weren't cooperative but it was nonetheless a very enjoyable day afloat. My casting must be getting better as I only hooked Alan in the back of the head once Very Happy

Portrait of a Lump Hunter...

Liked by: tenet, lakefisher, blondie
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there have been some stonking Brownies coming out of Chew with at least 5 over 10lb and the biggest coming in at 17lb. Shock Blagdon has produced at least one big brownie that looked 6lb +! Only problem is they have all been coming to pikers rather than trout fishers . Rolling Eyes

No reports of large rainbows from either lake to Pikers or to the fly which seems a little strange as this time of the year usually throws up a few big fish. Confused

Any thoughts? Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports -> Stillwaters All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44
Page 44 of 44

Jump to: