Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Montanajoe's Ramblings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Orvis / SKB Open weekend - Ladybower Reply with quote

Another good day out at Ladybower on Saturday at eth SKB float tube event. A good number of tubers attended along with a few CFF and BFTA diehards. Nigel had caught a 17.5 pounder the day before and he and Kev had caught 30 fish between them so hopes were high. Tackled up with a floater, snatcher, wickhams and SS Mop; and one rod on dries (being optimistic). Had a couple of offers just outside the boat bay and worked way across near the cages where I caught my first of the day a nice fish around 4- 5 lbs, on the SS Mop. Fish were being caught regularly but not by me so tried dries for a while. Not a sausage so set up with a Di3 and blob. This provoked a bit more interest and I hooked into a lump for me of between 7 and 8 lbs which went back for another day and an average fish around 2 lbs on an SS booby. A little move towards the dam produced nothing more. I swapped back to the floater and picked up another 3 on the blob, snatcher and BPM. I was also smashed on a Snatcher as I reeled in to change rods.
My six fish wasnít even close and Steve Elliot won the match with 4 rods into double figures. A nice lunch followed by a couple of beers at eth Ladybower Inn. Then back to the campsite where we have another few beers and a good sleep in my luxury tent with all the necessities.

Another good event at the Bower.
Liked by: Allrounder, lakefisher
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Carsington 4 July Reply with quote

Took Ben Lambert out for an evening boat on Carsington. It was warm with scatter cloud cover but there was a nice ripple so no need for a drogue. Started in Millfields where I promptly lost a fish on a damsel. Nothing more until Ben hooked a fish on blob near the shore.
Tried drifts into Upperfields and Fishtail with no joy except one lost fish on a desperation Orange snake. Moved further down to the line of buoys where odd fish were moving. It was getting late by now. Ben hooked a fish and 10 seconds later I had one on as well to a montana.

Both were safely landed and we worked this area for a while. There were fish here but localised far out. I lost a few more before I hooked a beautiful over wintered rainbow of around 2 Ĺ lbs on an orange hopper fished wet.
A few swirls were had before it was time to head for home.

A pleasant evening afloat with great company. Must have a repeat performance.

Iain
Liked by: Allrounder
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snakes again Iain? Razz

Web - SKB Fly Fishing
Facebook - SKB Facebook
Twitter - SKB Twitter
Blue Hound - Web Music
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whistlekiller wrote:
Snakes again Iain? Razz

Only because it was tough going and they do work (sometimes!)
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Blithfield 11 June Reply with quote

With the showery weather, I decided to have a crack at Blithfield for the evening. Tackled up with dries and headed up to the causeway where all the other boats were. There were fish showing intermittently but getting them to have a look was frustrating. Ripple varied from slight to flat calm. After trying various flies and methods I put a claret hopper on and trout showed interest but wouldnít take. I ended up with 3 claret flies on at one time (size 14) and eventually got one to grab hold. I must have risen 20 or more fish (some were coarse fish). The leader was degreased regularly and the takes looked good as the fly disappeared but no fish on the end. Good fun if frustrating. They didnít want anything sub surface at this point or moved. The wind direction changed and got up a bit. I then picked another up on the lift off and another on a black WB. The fish then went off and the rain came on. Time to head home.
I released 4 fish but it should have been twice as many. The bailiff said the other boats had found fishing difficult with only 1ís and 2ís being landed but plenty of offers.

Interesting day out. Need to tie some size 16ís for next time.
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Watch Water 22 July Reply with quote

Me and my Dad had our annual fishing outing. We decided to try out the Watch Water at Longformacus and what a good decision it turned out to be. The weather was wet all day and was the only minus point. Our waterproofs turned out not to be and we got wet through.
To the fishing that was very good. I tackled up 32 rods, one with a Di3 with Ladybower booby and a pink mop, the other a floater with a snatcher, cat booby and Bibio hopper. My Dad started with a dry daddy and soldier muddler.
Starting near the dam my first cast resulted in a follow to the booby and 2 casts later another follow followed by a take on lift off which fell off. Then immediately my dad was into his first fish a lovely rainbow around the 2lb mark which took the Daddy. Another one fell to my Dad who then lost one which went round the back of the boat and snapped his leader off at eth fly line knot. I had swapped to the floater and one took the Snatcher on lift off. We both had fish swirl but not take and there were fish all over the place. After a lot of abortive takes I took off the dry fly and put and a Ladybower buzzer which was taken first cast. Unfortunately, that was it for takes on the ILB. The rain continued and I went back to dries as my dad was continuing to have good sport and landed yet another. We were getting wet and near the end of our 4 hour session so headed back up to the dam. My dad then had three swirls in 6 casts and I manged to get one to eventually take and elk hair caddis. The fish now seemed to be more active and starting to come on in a big way. Other boats who were just setting out were catching as were bank anglers. On our last drift I managed another on the caddis to take our tally to 7 for the boat and edge out the old man 4-3.
What a cracking little water with great sport to dries all day long. The fish are really strong fighters as well. My dad couldnít get over being broken at the fly line knot by a stockie rainbow. This water will definitely be on the list for another visit next year or even later in the year. Went home to dry out and have a nice glass or two of Shiraz along with a whisky marinade steak and chips.
Highly recommended.
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Watch Water 22 July Reply with quote

montanajoe wrote:
I tackled up 32 rods.....

Shock I've heard of covering all the bases Iain but this is just downright overkill mate......... Very Happy

Web - SKB Fly Fishing
Facebook - SKB Facebook
Twitter - SKB Twitter
Blue Hound - Web Music
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugger! You beat me to it, Rich! Laughing

Great report as always Iain, but you must have really desperate to beat your Dad! Laughing Cool

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Ladybower 30 July Reply with quote

Decided to have a go in the float tube and chose Ladybower. It turned out to be a good choice. Started out with a Di3, with the ILB and Blob. Never had any takes until I managed a quick 3 fish, one after the other on the ILB. All takes coming on the drop so decided I was fishing too deep. Swapped to the floater with a dry daddy on the point. Now came a spell where I couldnít do anything right. I had 9 offers and swirls without landing any of them. I swapped the daddy for the ILB and was back in business hooking another 3 and losing a big fish which swam around a loose mooring rope.
Then the heavens opened up and the rain fell heavily from the sky. This put the fish down for some reason. However, after the rain it went flat calm and fish started to move sporadically. A swap to a yellow owl produced desired results. I covered a moving fish which sucked down the dry and shot off at a great rate of knots. This was a much better fish and fought long and hard, pulling the tube around with impunity. Eventually I netted her and she went all of 6lbs. A nice strong fish. Another couple followed to the dry before the wind got up again. Twice I had the dropper (Snatcher) broken off when playing another fish, crazy as they didnít seem to want the snatcher any other time. Sport tailed off on dries so swapped again this time putting a Cossack on the bob which picked up another 2 fish for me before it was time to head off home.
Cracking day out, fish high in the water and willing to take dries. Only two other boats out including Paul and Sue Sissons who had great sport as well having double figure catches before they called it an early day before the rains.
Ladybower must be fishing as good as anywhere right now with some real lumps and hard fighting fish.
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Ladybower 5 August Reply with quote

After a few too many glasses of wine last night I decided to blow the cobwebs away by taking the tube out to Ladybower. Good decision it turned out to be. Tackled up two rods, an intermediate with small lures and rod set up with dries. Started with the inter and hit a fish early on which took the candy booby, but I wasnít getting the interest I thought I should be getting and some fish were moving on top. So, I put the dries on and started getting rises but no takes. I managed 3 on Mr Newsomeís yellow owl and 1 on a muddler before takes dried up. I swapped back the inter and changed the ILB for a coral blob. Almost immediately I had fish on all three flies, the blob, snatcher and a muddler. Fish kept coming the remainder of the day with the blob (on the point) performing better but no fly in particular failed. I had two double hook-ups and was broken each time as I netted the top fish the bottom one snapped me off. Fish were spread out and not concentrated around the cages for once. Boats were picking up fish as well so it seemed to be a good day all round. Around 3.30 I decided to call it a day as Iíd had enough with 18 on the board.

Why there werenít more anglers out Iíll never know but it is fishing well. 30 fish the last two Saturdays is not bad going in anyoneís books.
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great session, Iain. Didn't you try the Sweet Susan booby? Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:

Alan Wink

Hi Alan, never actually got round to trying it as I was trialling some flies out as I knew the SS booby would work. Coral blob surprised me a bit though. May be worthwhile trying out again.

Iain
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

montanajoe wrote:
Allrounder wrote:

Alan Wink

Hi Alan, never actually got round to trying it as I was trialling some flies out as I knew the SS booby would work. Coral blob surprised me a bit though. May be worthwhile trying out again.

Iain

I've done alright on a coral blob from time to time there Iain although as you know I can be an incredibly lazy angler and tend to stick to the usual suspects on LB! Drybuzzer is enquiringly about reservoir flies on another thread so it may be worth you giving him the benefit of your experience! Very Happy

Web - SKB Fly Fishing
Facebook - SKB Facebook
Twitter - SKB Twitter
Blue Hound - Web Music
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Elinor social Reply with quote

Social ended up being switched to Elinor so headed over Saturday morning. A steady breeze and mixed sky looked better than it actually fished for me.

I picked up a fish early doors on a blob and then a small jack pike took a Zonker. Sport tailed off a bit as I moved up to the top bay where I managed a couple of fish on a wet daddy and a cat booby. Over a short beer break and a chat we noticed that some bank anglers were having sport near the reedbeds. So Rich and I got back into the tube to investigate as the bank boys were calling it a day. They had been catching on daddies pulled back quickly but that didnít work for us but they were looking a boobies, particularly the cat one. We had some good sport there before the light started to go. A couple of fish started to move then more and more. A change to dries saw some interest to an elk hair caddis with a green body but they kept swirling and not hooking up for me. Alan and Steve were having good sport on dries with Klinks.
I ended up with 8 trout plus a few lost and missed before heading back to Johnís gazebo, kitchen and bar where the rest of the night was spent with great food courtesy of Chef Nigel, great company and a few beers.
Another great Social.

Thanks to Nigel and Co for organising another successful event. Looking forward to next year now.

Iain
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Ladybower End of season Reply with quote

Not a bad day for fishing. A bit breezy but not too difficult for tubing. I arrived late and rather than attempt to get near the cages among all the boats I decided to work the shoreline along the road side. I had an intermediate with a Ladybower buzzer. A had a few offers before I hooked into my first fish. There were fish in this area, so I was getting lots of offers and fish following before I caught probably the smallest rainbow Iíve seen on here. I worked along the shore and caught another, but I was getting lots of interest. The boats had now moved away from the cages, so I paddled up there where Ken (Mark Cís mate) had hooked into a submarine. We never saw the fish, but it dragged him almost 300 yards towards the road side and he eventually landed it. A good estimate of 20lbs which was photographed and returned. Steve F kindly loaned me a root beer blob which picked up another couple for me. The fish seemed to want it high in the water, so I put on a Sunburst booby. This was an inspired move as it worked a treat. Suddenly the boats were called in. I think one boat was swamped through bad handling and Geoff decided to call everyone in for safety reasons. Just as he did so the wind dropped, and I hooked into a substantial fish which was the last on my day, estimated at 6 or 7 lbs. A cold beer and sandwiches followed to round off a good day.

As a consolation Geoff offered a free day's fishing for everyone on 11 November. What a gesture!
Looking forward to that already.
Liked by: Whistlekiller, Allrounder
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 26 of 27

Jump to: