Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Blagdon 6th October 2017

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Fly Fishing For Pike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Blagdon 6th October 2017 Reply with quote

Tony Lakefisher and I had a pike boat at Blagdon yesterday and it turned out to be a good day. We had 7 pike to the boat including 2 x 20lb + fish and Tony capped it off with a nice Rainbow on a Waggletail pike fly which was safely returned....

Pike pics to follow ... Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: lakefisher, blondie, tenet, Bovver, trout
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed a brilliant day afloat Alan, which left me completely shattered Laughing

Some seriously good Pike to the boat - a few smaller ones to keep the interest going - but just love to see a 10# rod hooped over on the take from a monster - like this

Then, a large shape looms up out of the depths

Apologies for the sun flare on this pic - but I think you can still see that Alan was extremely chuffed to have landed this 20+ pike -

The fondly felt goodbye

Then, just to rub it in - He got a second twenty - and I was delighted for him.

Carefully released, as always - She sllipped back into the depths with only her dignity ruffled Very Happy

My contribution to the most brilliant day day, catchwise, was a pike of around 8 pounds along with the rainbow Alan has posted above. Shocked that the rainbow engulfed a six inch fly Rolling Eyes

Thanks to Alan for the company, I was delighted to share in an exceptional day for a dear friend ....... Tony Cool
Liked by: blondie, tenet, Allrounder, Bovver, trout
blondie
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shock Bloody hell you kept that quiet. Laughing Well done to both of you great catch! Cool Regards Steve Very Happy
Liked by: lakefisher, Allrounder
Drynet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done lads. I'm sure it was an great experience to finally fish there.

Looks as though conditions were a little bright?

Lets hope that someone is lucky to get into one of those real BIG girls.

Again well done

Tony
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first day fished extremely well from Rainbow Point and above by all accounts so I must admit to being a little surprised when the pike boats all set off for the same spot on the second day. I have had enough 'bite offs' while trout fishing over the years to know that there are other areas worth fishing for pike on Blagdon so we set sail in the opposite direction for quieter water away from the Armada. It was a bit of risk but it was worth it in the end because while the other boats caught fish, it was a case of 'once bitten twice shy' for the larger pike and nothing like the jamboree experienced on day one.

As Drynet has noted the day was indeed 'a little bright' and the water clarity was very good at the dam end at around 6 feet or more which doesn't make ideal piking conditions. Fortunately the fish we caught had probably never seen the type of flies and tactics we were using so it probably evened itself out in the end. Smile

It also helps enormously if you have a experienced partner at the other end of the boat who repeatedly puts you over fish. From then on it is as much luck as judgement as to whose fly they take an interest in. Sometimes it is yours, sometimes it is your partners but the key thing as with any fishing is to enjoy the day and each others company. Very Happy

I certainly did that. Cool

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: lakefisher, blondie, BristolFlyer
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sly dogs Very Happy

I'm so glad that you got the opportunity and capitalised on it! Very Happy
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Today - 02:38 pm    Post subject: Congratulations!! Reply with quote

Allrounder & Lakefisher,

I've not been able to get out since May but I have trolled the Forum from time to time and have just caught up with your exploits for pike.

I must congratulate Tony on his 32lb fish on a solo CVL trip in September and Alan for his double twenty day at Blaggers.

Your posts are as always entertaining and the pics add a bit more.

I was born just a few months earlier than Lakefisher so we share the Chinese Lunar Year Rooster star sign Laughing . I was therefore further impressed that he can fish a #10 wt for a full day and still get off the boat under his own steam.
I would certainly need a stretcher and as you know I usually just fish the mornings at Blaggers with a wimpy #6 wt.

Thanks again guys, I hope to be afloat next year.

Best,
McFly
Liked by: lakefisher, tenet, blondie
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Fly Fishing For Pike All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: