Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

The not Thornton but Elinor Social 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Events and Fishing Partners -> Events and Fishing Partners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zimfisherboy
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugger thats bad news John Sad
drsixty7
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've still got the receipt for that new clipboard if you want to change it Nigel, it appears to be cursed! If you'd prefer I can send a gypsy round to your house to lift the spell by crossing her palm with silver, your choice but unfortunately there is no cash alternative.
Zimfisherboy
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burn his clipboard
Zimfisherboy
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John will miss out on my nuts being sheep nibbled!!! Justice for his 1:57am bloody phone call last night!!
Flybysage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlankDay wrote:
Hello Nigel
I'm really sorry, but I wont' be at Elinor. I wish I could have been.
You lot have a great time.

Really sorry we won't see you mate.
Hope you are ok.
See you in the spring.
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Social ended up being switched to Elinor so headed over Saturday morning. A steady breeze and mixed sky looked better than it actually fished for me.

I picked up a fish early doors on a blob and then a small jack pike took a Zonker. Sport tailed off a bit as I moved up to the top bay where I managed a couple of fish on a wet daddy and a cat booby. Over a short beer break and a chat we noticed that some bank anglers were having sport near the reedbeds. So Rich and I got back into the tube to investigate as the bank boys were calling it a day. They had been catching on daddies pulled back quickly but that didn’t work for us but they were looking a boobies, particularly the cat one. We had some good sport there before the light started to go. A couple of fish started to move then more and more. A change to dries saw some interest to an elk hair caddis with a green body but they kept swirling and not hooking up for me. Alan and Steve were having good sport on dries with Klinks.
I ended up with 8 trout plus a few lost and missed before heading back to John’s gazebo, kitchen and bar where the rest of the night was spent with great food courtesy of Chef Nigel, great company and a few beers.
Another great Social.

Thanks to Nigel and Co for organising another successful event. Looking forward to next year now.

Iain
Liked by: blondie
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve (blondie) and I arrived on Thursday night to fish Friday and Saturday and after catching up with old friends and new over a great meal that evening in the local Pub, it wasn't long before our thoughts turned to fishing . The first session on Friday was spent fishing for pike and although it was tough going , Steve did what Steve usually does and caught two small pike to my one, the biggest going around 3lbs. Rolling Eyes Very Happy

From 2pm we went over onto trout and found the going unusually difficult on the dries until we later on after we stopped for a break. I noticed a few fish moving by the jetty as we were about to set sail and a speculative cast saw an instant response to my Klink although no hook up. Consecutive casts had a similar response so there was obviously a pod fish in front of me. Then some 'damned Colonial type' noticed what was going on and slipped in further up the bank and proceeded to slaughter them on something I am pretty sure was not a 'Dray Flay'. Rolling Eyes Only joking Kev, that was a very impressive haul you put together before the shoal moved off. Cool Very Happy

Next morning it was a solo pike trip for pike again for me while Steve tried his hand at float tubing. A nice man in the Lodge pointed out the best areas to pike fish so I set up numerous drifts but only had one small pike of around 3lbs. I also lost a nice Perch estimated at between 1-8 and 2-0 in the weeds . Crying or Very sad I then went over to trout and after they ignored my Klinks I found they were feeding a little deeper and took 3 on Crunchers before coming in for lunch. Smile

After lunch Steve joined me on what had become quite a windy afternoon to fish for trout but we had no joy until we explored one of the bays at the top of the lake. We noticed the odd fish moving in shallow water and after quietly anchoring up behind them next to the reeds with the wind behind us we were ready to go. We could see fish moving in front of us but it seemed that it was only Steve's flies that they wanted. Virtually every cast saw a fish inspect his flies and ignore mine with me shouting 'Steve they are eating your fly' but he wisely waited until he saw the line move before striking and move it they certainly did! One of the exciting things for me was that some fish in the shallowest area gave themselves away by their dorsal fin just breaking surface. Casting in the path of a dorsal fin then watching the dark shape underneath move towards your carefully placed fly, inspect it then either take it or most often ignore it completely was heart stopping stuff and fishing at its very best! Cool

After the first hour or so we spent the rest of the session stealthily tracking the pod down the wind taking fish along the way until we we set up our final drift back across the lake towards the jetty as the light faded. We ended up with 11 to the boat with Steve getting 6 of them with probably half as many again lost between us. What a fantastic afternoons fishing ! Cool

Just a few fish pics from the weekend ...

Steve and my smallest pike from Friday morning. Not sure why I didn't take a pic of the larger ones! Confused

The Elinor trout were fantastic to look at and fought like Tigers. I genuinely though I had a double hook up on one occasion but it turned out to be a standard 2-8 fish! Shock

Once again special thanks to Nigel, Rich and the team for making this Social happen and to everyone who turned up to make it such a success. Special thanks also to Tim for the loan of his electric outboard, to Nigel for his battery and of course Ed Foster for such a brilliant fishery as Elinor. Cool

Until the next one .... Cool

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: BristolFlyer, montanajoe, lakefisher, drsixty7, blondie
Grenadier
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the weekends fishing/food and banter also to the 'pervert society' for opening my eyes Friday and Saturday night to the rest of the worlds idea of FUN!!!! Having caught the biggest fish Friday was a sheer delight. We thank Nigel for his great efforts on our behalf and ed for putting up with us for a 2nd weekend this year. For those who struggled to catch only a few fish well done. For the one that sat on the pods of fish get stuffed u cheating git. Pitty the weather wasn't kinder but this time of year it is hard to pick a good weekend. Looking forward to next year.
Liked by: Allrounder, drsixty7, blondie
blondie
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your too kind Alan Embarassed Thanks for your great company and friendship mate Cool
What a great weekend that was Very Happy
Many thanks for the organisation,cooking skills and help guys it's not all about the fishing and always great to share a few drinks or two with you Cool Razz
Thank you Nigel for the loan of equipment for the float tubing Very Happy .I did enjoy the few hours tubing Cool but I really must lose a few(well loads Shock)pounds and be a lot fitter too Embarassed before I give it another go. Laughing
The fishing was rather frustrating at times but eventually came right which made it very enjoyable wether Pike or Trout.The few hours of catching trout on the dries was most enjoyable Very Happy
Simply,Simply lovely Wink Untill the next time.
Best regards.Steve Smile
Liked by: Allrounder, lakefisher, drsixty7
drsixty7
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done and thanks as ever to Nigel for putting together another 'blinding' social and pulling this one out of the bag at short notice. A great occasion as ever, catching up with all of the reprobates and fishing till my casting arm nearly fell orf. As has already been said, thanks to Ed for allowing us to stay again and for managing a brilliant fishery, the only downer is it's seven months till the next one! Massive thanks to Kev for driving me to and from and everyone else for the laughs.
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite all the current risks associated with Nige's organizational capabilities it has to be said he pulled one out of the bag (a black one) this time and we all had a wail of a time! I'll try and transcribe the Facebook stuff later this week but in the meantime I'd like to echo all the thanks mentioned above. Very Happy

Web - SKB Fly Fishing
Facebook - SKB Facebook
Twitter - SKB Twitter
Blue Hound - Web Music
Flybysage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi chaps!

Just wanted to say a big thank you to all those who turned up and made the social as enjoyable as it always is!
Also, many, many thanks to Ed for putting up with us and at such short notice!

Here is a quick report on the weekend which now seems ages ago!

I arrived on Thursday afternoon pleased to have avoided the debacle on putting John's gazebo up! Laughing Having said that, I would have loved to watched the two nincompoops trying their hardest to put it and then being rescued by Bob! Laughing Laughing Well done chaps for eventually erecting it and thank you John for its loan! It was very much needed!
After I made my van cosy, we were orf to the pub for a meal and quite a few beers but not before I managed to take a couple of pics of the lovely sunset:

Friday morning and I eventually went out in my tube. Had a paddle around the lake and picked up a couple of fish on a diawl bach. I then made my way up to the top of the lake where I saw Mick who told me about the bank angler who was steadily catching on a daddy. By the time I got there, he was on about no 16! None of us could do as well as him from the tube which was odd and rather annoying!
I had another couple before heading back and along the bank near Pensioners Point. Here I saw a flurry of activity mainly from Kevin who had spotted the newly stocked shoal of fish just off the boat jetty. He was catching at a steady rate on a black tadpole but I think they would take anything! I had on a hopper and a diawl bach and and soon had a double hook up which was fun but as I tried to unhook one, the other swam underneath my tube which pulled the fish out of my hands and then proceeded to break my leader and I lost both! I did end up on 6 for the day though and once again, we were treated to a lovely sunset before I headed in for that evenings BBQ:

On Saturday, the weather conditions changed from cloudy to bright sunshine and wind. I had helped Steve set off on his maiden voyage in my spare tube and then headed out myself. Because of the sunshine, I soon changed over to a midge tip as I thought the sun was keeping the fish down. Everyone seemed to struggle except for one boat who was steadily catching on diawl bach's. As the bank was clear where the guy from yesterday was catching so many from, I headed over to see if I could have some success there. Alan was already in that position and had moored his boat up. He was casting along the bank to the odd rising fish and had some success. I eventually caught one, this little chap!:

Alan left for lunch and to rescue Steve who by know had got out of the tube. I moved into the bank and had a couple here on a hopper but not much more. I decided to move over to Pensioners Point and have a bash there. The wind was blowing straight into it and I thought it might hold fish. As soon as I got there I caught one on the hopper and had a few missed pulls too. I caught a few more and when I got my leader into a massive tangle, I decided to see if the fish would chase flies so I put on a Trout Popper with a daiwl bach on the dropper. What great fun that was! Stripping back the popper accross the surface and having loads of chases and swirls to the fly! I had a couple on the DB including this lovely brown:

It was getting dark and my arm was killing me from stripping back the popper so I paddled back towards camp. I had changed the Popper to a BFD and whilst I was using the wind to push me towards the bank, my rod was nearly snatched out of my hand and I was rewarded with a rainbow of about 5lb on the DB! I wasn't trolling!!! Embarassed Shock Laughing

Sunday morning and after most of the chaps had said their goodbyes, I headed out for a short session. There was a boat catching on what seemed to be every cast. I asked them what they were using and they said sedges. I quickly changed over to a sedge but nothing, not even a swirl. I moved a bit closer to them and tried to watch what they were doing. With a sedge, you would fish that on the surface and in a ripple. Every time they cast out, I was watching to where their flies landed and I could not see the fly on the surface so I realised they were lying to me as well as the bank anglers who they had also told. I changed over to the largest daddy long legs I had and first cast I caught one. The boat anglers then decided to move their boat into the middle of the lake and I drifted down to where they were. My tally soon increased from 1 to 8, all on the DLL. I told the bank anglers as well and they started to catch too. Kevin and John motored over and they started to catch. I cannot understand why you would lie to someone about what fly you were using. Understandable if you are in a comp but not pleasure fishing. Twisted Evil
Anyway, by 4pm it was time to go home and I had finished on 11 for the day. Very Happy

All in all, a very enjoyable weekend and I'm relly looking forward to the next one! Roll on May!! Very Happy Very Happy
Grenadier
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question of why anglers lie about their flies is truly arrogant and not spoting at all. It makes no diff to tell others what's working and i have come across this bad attitude many times over the years. If and when i have found the flies that work on a certain day it matters not to me to divulge it to others should they ask as i like to see others catch as well as myself. But i am a spotsman and not selfish.
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in both camps Laughing

If I'm asked "nicely" - with a possible "please" involved - then I'm happy to divulge not only the fly but the successful method as well, I've even been known to give over a fly if he hasn't got the required pattern. Cool

If I get an arrogant demand of "WhatchaGerrinUmOn" or similar - I tend to take umbridge - and lie Laughing

Depends only on the attitude of the asker as to my reply - but then I'm "Old School". Laughing ........ Tony Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Events and Fishing Partners -> Events and Fishing Partners All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: