Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Lure Fishing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Coarse Fishing Forum -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am back from my first fishing trip to the Netherlands, I went with Robin who has lived there and he organised the trip.
The plan was to fish with our guide Johan on the canal and river in the area of Utrecht and then maybe fish some of the local canals to our hotel.
Perch, Zander, Catfish and Pike are all possible fishing lures, the Pike and Catfish did not show up but the Zander and Perch played along.
Canals in Europe are not like the the small stretch of dug out water here in the UK, they are BIG with equally BIG boats on them.
This is a lock gate that we concentrated on for a while.

Robin caught a Perch here just under four pound, in the water it looked much bigger and in the hand it felt like a six pounder.
This is Johan displaying the fish.

The methods were either vertical jigging or trolling two techniques I have little experience of but they are the favoured methods for Perch Zander and Catfish. Trolling crank baits was used to cover the vast amount of water available.

The second day saw us on the river unfortunatley the fishing was slow which meant alot of trolling trying to find some feeding fish.
It all came good with a couple of monster (by UK standards) perch one a four pound and the other three and a half on crank baits trolling.

We got up early on the last day and fished the local canals from the bank before checking out of the hotel and going to the airport. This was also great fun for the two and a half hours we fished. We both caught perch to around a pound and a half plus one small pike.

We are already making plans to go again and I would like to go and fish some of the many canals that are available near where some friends live in Rotterdam.
Let me know if you want any more details.
Peter
Liked by: tenet, springwell, fossil-fish, lakefisher
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are fantastic perch. What a brilliant trip, something really special. Enjoyed reading about it and the pictures.
Very Happy

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks it was, there is some great fishing in the Netherlands and easy access with out the lack of fish that you get here in the UK.
The picture below shows the average canal that will usual run into a bigger canal and they are all good places to find perch, pike and zander.

I fished these with the classic small shad and jig head combination, Robin used a spinner and we both had nice sized perch. The shad did catch more as it was fishing at more depth.

I was surprised by the size of soft plastics used to vertical jig for the zander, you can see them in previous pictures, they all had a stinger treble at the back.
The Perch responded to the Lake Fork shad in the main river and Robin had the big four pounder on one of these cast and retrieve to the metal pillings of the lock ( lots of good structure Very Happy ) .

Here is a picture of one of the barges to put the canal into perspective.

Liked by: fossil-fish
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just received these pictures from Johan our guide for the two days.

Liked by: fossil-fish, Allrounder, BristolFlyer
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one fantastic looking perch. Very Happy

Liked by: Fryfishing
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I was fishing a memorial day match at my club water and it was not going well, four hours without a bite Sad
Meanwhile the match boys sat on their boxes with their poles extended were pulling them in.
As boredom set in I decided to move onto another lake and get the lure rod out and it was a good call.
I worked my way along what I call the Perch bank and had a few small Perch, then decided to fish around a small floating island that usual harbours a few perch, it also hold a big pike that I have hooked and lost on at least three occasions
I switched to a Crazy Fish Vibro worm in white and first cast the the beast shot out from under the island and chomped on the lure Shock
After quite a tussle I got it in the net which was a surprise as I only had a fluorocarbon leader and a barbles jig head.
So fourth time lucky and then back to the match which for me was a complete blank.

Liked by: fossil-fish, Allrounder
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you weren't watching Keith Floyd this morning Peter, on bbc2 - he was grilling up half a dozen small Perch for the table. Rolling Eyes Shock
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pike, well done. Love the Vibro worms. Have caught perch, pike, pollock, coalfish, whiting and even a roach/bream hybrid on the chartreuse ones.

Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith Floyd a great Chef, no doubt he had a nice cold white to drink while cooking. I have never tried cooking Perch but have been told it is good. Zander from Grafham that was very tasty.

I have good memories of those roach bream hybrids, but I never caught them on lures.
P
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boats booked for the LAS Pitsford Pike Cup and Farmoor open day so I need to start sorting out the right gear.
If the big Perch are on at Pitsford sod the pike Very Happy
Farmoor will be a challenge but hopefully with my new found skills from Holland I may find a specimen fish.
Liked by: Allrounder
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Crazy Fish Vibro shad continues to work its magic with the Jack pike Very Happy

Liked by: Allrounder, fossil-fish, lakefisher
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

November 1st and the first day for non ticket holders to predator fish at Farmoor, it was a fantastic day to go fishing, dry, light Sth Westerly with over cast cloud Very Happy.

There was lose talk of a couple of thirty's and some twenties being caught but my mind was on some clonking great perch.
We had a good idea of where to look for them on No1 but knew it would be a challenge and boy was it a challenge.
The rules state four inch soft plastic so we set out with a quick drift along the shelf drop off casting and retrieving. When the electronics showed some good ground we changed to vertical jigging to make sure the area was covered. This bagged a selection of trout including a beast of at least six pounds.
After a tea break and snack of the boat we set out again and this time we hit the jackpot, a four pound plus Perch for Robin.

There was no sign of pike and apart from the above the Perch were very hard to find but now we know they are there.
Farmoor will never compete with Chew and in my opinion it is not a natural home for pike but there must be more big Perch to be found.
It will always be a day of a thousand casts and maybe you will find a big one.

But we finished with a fantastic sunset.

Liked by: lakefisher, fossil-fish, Allrounder
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a cracking Perch and a wonderful sunset, Peter. I wish I was there too! Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely amazing fish. Very Happy

Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers.

I did not mention but that it took a four inch curly tail on a 20 gm jig head vertically fished.
We were lucky as the wind was light and with the drogue out we had a slow drift, with a strong wind and no electric motor to control the drift speed of the boat we would have struggled.
I may give number 2 a go if I can find a day with the right weather conditions.
Next goal will be a five pound Perch Shock
Shock Shock Shock
Liked by: Allrounder
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Coarse Fishing Forum -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: