Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Fishing magazines

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> General Fly Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Fishing magazines Reply with quote

Does anyone subscribe to them.
I haven't since about three years ago. And apart from buying one at the airport for the odd trip that has been that. I find that the forums offer a load of information that suffices.
hellbound
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Hackle wrote:
Does anyone subscribe to them.
I haven't since about three years ago. And apart from buying one at the airport for the odd trip that has been that. I find that the forums offer a load of information that suffices.
i did when i 1st started fly fishing but after maybe a year i found they was just repeatin them selfs over and over or just worded a diffent way or it was a litte tweek but nothing new , and like you i found the fourms better .

There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
midlander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I still subscribe to a magazine, or rather I get a subscription for my birthday. I still enjoy reading about stuff that I wouldn't normally do and see fly patterns I wouldn't necessarily be exposed to. As for forums, well, they can be just as repetitive. How many "best" threads have we all seen?

Strangely, the people who often ask this sort of question, best rod for... best line, reel, fly, knot etc, are, IMO, exactly the sort of person who'd most benefit from a subscription to a magazine or buying a few books on the subject.

At least with published books or articles you're paying for someone's knowledge. In theory that means that they, the author, have reached a certain level of competency in their chosen subject and are reasonably literate, in order to convey that knowledge. On the internet, anyone can sound knowledgeable by simply spending 5 minutes on google and cutting and pasting any article they choose, verbatim. An article that may, in essence, have been regurgitated by someone else from a print article they read as opposed to a situation they themselves encountered. At it's worst, it boils down to the blind leading the blind.

So yeah, I say "long live print".
Liked by: fossil-fish
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I subscribe to Waterlog but they are just about to wrap it up.
Crying or Very sad

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
roallen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still subscribe to a magazine also. I enjoy reading them while I'm not in front of my computer.
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I subscribe to two - the best two - and pick up the other two on an ad-hoc basis. I don't know how many times I've suddenly remembered something while sitting at my fly tying bench and have sought it out and found it in one or other of the mags, sometimes five years before. Caught me many a fish that has.

Also found a useful casting hint in one of them going back several years and I use this frequently when teaching beginners. A diagram can be very useful for a beginner to study while having a coffee break.

Agreed there is a lot of nonsense in some of them, but every once in a while up pops something really worthwhile.
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Mags Reply with quote

Confess no subscriptions these days.Will buy the odd one and a mate sometime passes on any good articles.Even at my age still plenty ''mo fo ta learn''.Have found the free magazine ''Eat Sleep Fish'' from Devonian guide Pete Tyjas to contain some quality material.

Best JP
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

midlander wrote:
Yes, I still subscribe to a magazine, or rather I get a subscription for my birthday. I still enjoy reading about stuff that I wouldn't normally do and see fly patterns I wouldn't necessarily be exposed to.

Pretty much the same here. Very Happy

My (non fishing) son pays my annual subscription to Fly Fishing and Fly Tying as a birthday present and I also subscribe to Trout and Salmon myself. The former appeals to me as it assumes you know the basics and covers more than just trout fishing and I enjoy reading the salmon articles in Trout and Salmon, although I have never fished for them! I bought Trout Fisherman when it first came out and for years after, and have read other titles too but these days the two mentioned above are all I read in print.

However when it comes to tackle review sections I usually take more notice of online forums that magazines, especially if I know the poster personally or they have earned my respect through their previous online contributions. Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I occasionally flick through one in the lodge at Toft Newton but haven't bought a fishing magazine in years. They serve a purpose but eventually that purpose is spent. I do still get phone calls from their advertising/sales departments offering our little company a full page ad for a tidy sum of money, but sadly the days of magazines bringing in revenue from an advert and editorial are waning. We can get much better results from a targeted Facebook ad at a thirtieth of the cost. This is the writing on the wall for them IMHO.

Web - SKB Fly Fishing
Facebook - SKB Facebook
Twitter - SKB Twitter
Blue Hound - Web Music
Lighthouse
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I continue to subscribe to Trout & Salmon as I have since the late 60s.

I stick with T&S because it is well written in comparison with others on offer and not obsessed with 'must use' flies, 'must use' methods and 'must visit' small fisheries and the standard of their cafeterias, bacon rolls or car parking.

Yes, over time, all magazines can become predictable. Next months T&S will undoubtedly carry articles on late season salmon in Scotland, getting ready for grayling, tackling fry feeders on big reservoirs and some old fart musing over something that only he could find vaguely interesting or funny. And just to totally p!ss us off, a well illustrated article of some git wading azure blue warm water in Belize for bone fish.

For a long time, I subscribed to Fly Fishing & Fly Tying which again was well written but often a little 'thin' on content and I eventually dropped it.

However, when I was at school (I have a remarkable memory), at the back of the geography room, there was a stack of Nebraska State Magazines. I was captivated by the images of bearded men in check shirts and baseball caps holding improbably large fish or standing next to an improbably large bear that they'd even more improbably shot with a magnum hand gun or bow and arrow. It was stuff to stir the adventurous spirit and a style that is sadly lacking in our monthly magazines. Yes, occasionally you see an image of Jon Beer walking over a hill but he's never far from recommended B&B, a hot bath and a pub that's in the CAMRA guide.

For a long time I subscribed to 'The Drake', a US magazine . . .

http://shop.drakemag.com/Current-Back-Issues_c_7.html

It bore little or no relation to any fishing I was ever likely to experience but my God it stirred the soul! The writing was fresh and dare I say youthful, albeit puerile on occasion (and before we get 'sniffy', let's remember where you're reading this! Laughing ), the photography was outstanding, there was humour - articles on recommended beers to accompany fishing, Page 6 Chicks was always worth a look . . . by comparison, the diet offered by our UK magazines is at best dull and unimaginative.
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would want to be a fishing magazine publisher given the problems & dilemmas
they have to contend with nowadays to even survive ?

Compared to a decade or so they face ever increasing competition from internet sites
& suchlike causing falling circulation, which in turn reflects their fall in their life blood
ie advertising revenue.

Longer term subscribers often complain about the articles & topics being far too repetitive,
which is true, however they have found it is primarily new comers rather than longer term
readers or subscribers that are the mainstay of their sales, rather than their longer term
sector. Consequently new readers are likely to be far more tolerant of the repeat content or
not even be aware of the fact, therefore to change the format in another direction would
almost certainly be to "shoot themselves in the foot" so to speak.

Unfortunately in the face of increasing competition fishing magazines are probably doomed
to go down the same path of businesses such as mail/postal services, appliance/tv repairers
etc. that have fallen victim to a changing world, so short of some sort of dramatic change their
demise is "written on the wall" & the best they can hope for is to delay the inevitable.
Grenadier
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just conscripted to Trout Fishing and it's all just as a lot of us know that u can only say so much over the years b4 everything is repeated. But as they are more for the newcomers than seasoned anglers then they will continue. Sadley all other types are getting in from sea to abroad fishing and i don't care to read about anything other than Trout fishing either from still or running water. So i won't be subscribing again. I've heard it all b4 and some of it is conflicting with previous thinkings. Fishing is fishing. End of.
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Conscripted?" Is the magazine at war and you have been conscripted to write for it without payment? I thought one had to register to be conscripted. Must have missed me off the list.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flyfishing & Flytying is the only one I subscribe too and have been for a long time.
Since I retired I am not only reading the current month but also through the pile of old magazines I have upstairs.
Going back through the old ones means reading only the best bits before they go into recycling. I can finish one in the short commute to London.
My brother in law was the editor of Top Gear and he believes the standard of magazines publishing has dropped as they do not want to pay for professional writers any more.
The problem with the Internet in my opinion is no body wants to pay for anything but on the flip side of the coin they expect to be paid for their labour.
I also get the LAS quarterly magazine as part of my membership fee, it is written and produced on a voluntary basis.
Ff
drybuzzer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been looking at a number of mags but they had nothing to do with fishing !!!! lol
Seriously, I have been looking at them and to be honest Ive not found one that's worth the money especially when you have access to the internet on your phone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> General Fly Fishing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: