Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Safari
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 70, 71, 72  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics as ever Bazza - my neighbour has a Tesla, he showed me how he can park it remotely from his phone the flash git Smile Smile Cool
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant reports and pics as always, Bazza. Thanks for sharing. Cool

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx guys for your kind words .... I am pleased to hear that you enjoy reading the reports.

Unfortunately after loosing almost all the earlier pics due the photobucket fiasco they were restored
albeit quiet a few were muddled, consequently they now appear out of context with the dialogue.

Suppose I could wade thru the 70 odd pages & try to remedy the situation however would involve a
lot of time & effort so think I will leave things as they are.
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:
Brilliant reports and pics as always, Bazza. Thanks for sharing. Cool

Alan Wink

Going for a test drive of the SUV model Monday week.

Unlike most hybrid vehicles it appears to have more than enough torque to tow the boat
however the limited range of less than 500 kms without the option of switching to petrol
is of concern, particularly as here in NZ where there are relatively few charging stations.
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first trip out yesterday, since arriving back just over a week ago.

Opted on a solo mission for which I was grateful as would have been embarrassed
at the lack of action had I taken someone out.

Firstly there was an early morning frost so everything was as cold as charity so was
completely surprised considering it was a week day that there were more boats at the
ramp than I have ever seen. This was probably due to the fact that the weather has
been atrocious for about three weeks as far as boating was concerned, so when a 5 knt
wind is forecast most are looking to rectify their withdrawal symptoms.

Anyway the conditions were calm but about an hour at the "never fail" possie disappointingly
yielded only smaller fish or those a couple of mm below the legal size of 30 cm for snapper.
As the conditions were calm apart from the constant wake from the number of boats, it seemed
an ideal opportunity to "go deep" about a further 8 kms out where there was a group of boats
anchored. As it happened probably would have fared much better by staying where I was as the
problem encountered there was that there would usually be a bite the moment the line hit the
bottom in almost 40 mtrs there would be a bite .... then nada. Came to the conclusion that it
was due to the fact that baits when wound in, invariably had a chunk of clear jelly like substance
attached suggesting there were hordes of jellyfish down there & the fish were adverse to any such
contamination.

Came to the conclusion there was little point in persevering so headed back to the original spot,
stopping off at a couple of spots on the way but to no avail. Even tho the "never fail" spot initially
only yielded sub 30 cm ( some only a mm or two ) decided I would tough it out until the change of
tide when it would be time to return to the ramp. Finally a keeper came aboard so at least had a
meal albeit a small one. On two occasions I thought I had a good sized fish on when they were
taking line only to discover after a lengthy tussle they were both sharks ... so were cut loose.
Another legal fish came aboard so at least had the promise of a decent meal for ourselves even
if the neighbours & regular beneficiaries were scheduled to miss out.

On arrival back at the ramp it was rather disconcerting to find a queue of about eight boats waiting
their turn to use the ramp, something I have never encountered on a weekday so was obliged to wait
my turn, a fact further complicated by the fact it was an excessively low tide that made it more difficult
to retrieve onto the trailer or to launch ... would imagine larger boats might have to wait until the tide
had risen somewhat.
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nouri & I went out on the Kaipara yesterday to take advantage of the ideal tides & weather forecast.

The last 8 or nine times I have set the flounder net whilst out fishing it had proven to be a disaster
in one form or another, however as the tides were not high then decided might as well have another
attempt.

On arrival it soon become obvious by the amount of colour in the estuarine river water that there had
been some heavy local flooding.

After launching & were making our way down the river the amount of debris floating down soon made us
realise that setting a net in its path would be a recipe for disaster so decided we would instead set it in
a locality, albeit unproven, on the shoreline close to where we would be fishing.

Using the depth finder determined that most of the shoreline there was too deep but eventually found a
stretch that was a more suitable depth. Things went ok until about halfway through feeding the net out
when we utilised the motor to move the boat into a better position & managed to get the net wound
around the prop. Going over the side to attempt to unwind it apart from the water being chilly would have
run a risk of getting tangled in the net so ran with the only other option ie to tilt the motor then climb out
on the raised leg to use a knife to slash the tangled mess. Despite a couple of heart stopping moments
managed to slash clear the tangle but had to resort to cutting the net in half. Decided then the best option
would be tie the ends together in a rough knot meaning that section would be in non functional but with a
bit of luck the remainder would work ok. It probably would have apart from the fact that when trying to pull
the net tight it felt the impromptu joining knot had given way, which was indeed the case as we were to
confirm later on.

So was time to go fishing proper but the results were totally abysmal for quite some time before for some
unknown reason the fish began to come on the bite & good size fish that were inclined to hit hard then put
up a strong fight in the shallow water we were in.

Went ashore at low tide to collected a 20 litre pail of oysters & had lunch. On re launching went to check on
the net but could not sight the large yellow buoys one at each end, which was of concern as did much mind
losing the net so much apart from the fact it could pose a danger if drifting & the fact there were brand new
anchors attached one at each end. Was back to fishing again with the anticipation of it being as rewarding as
before the tide change, but such hope was to prove largely unfounded as action was comparatively slow but
at least fish we coming aboard at intervals.

Eventually it was only small fish biting so we decided would call it a day after having another look for the net
& this time were able to locate the buoys. Due to the fact that as a result of the knot coming undone the tow
sections had been free to sweep about consequently had picked up a whole lot of oyster shells & general
rubbish plus to our complete surprise & against all odds a couple of flounder.

All in all had been a fairly productive day overall with two flounder, about eight snapper, one gurnard & several
kahawhai plus a bucket of oysters. Have cleaned all the fish along with the boat, have a heap of fillets to give
away, so all that remains is the tedium of clearing rubbish from the net & attempt to join the two sections together
again.

Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What to do as an alterative to fishing when the weather has been far too bad to even consider going out & whilst waiting impatiently for it to improve.

Was a first for me & normally would be too ashamed to admit it, but last night attended a performance of the Imperial Russian Ballet.

Cannot claim to have understood what was going on much of the time, nevertheless much to my surprise thoroughly enjoyed the experience as found it to be very colourful, vibrant & entertaining, having expected it to be mainly twirling around on toes whilst wearing frilly costumes.

Particularly enjoyed their rendition of Maurice Ravels' Bolero which had the entire audience spellbound. The except from Don Quixote was a performance of constant action, which is more than be said for most of my fishing excursions.

It is the first time they have visited NZ or for that matter Aussie & they are scheduled to return next year when having been suitable inspired will definitely purchase tickets again, even if it is prime fishing weather.

So if you anyone happens to be down here & notices a guy at the ramp wearing thermals ( nearest thing I have to ballet tights ) with a burley bag stuffed down the front, say hello & I might even turn on my rendition of Swan Lake for you!
Lighthouse
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they not treat you to 'Cavalier With A Rusty Canon' by Ripyercorsetsov?
DamienHaddy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Those were some great catches, Bazza! Cheers!
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DamienHaddy wrote:
Wow! Those were some great catches, Bazza! Cheers!

Thanx Damien ...... the weather has been so terrible for so long here it has been near impossible to get out.

However, if as your profile states you live in Florida then is inconsequential compared to what Florida has been through.
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us have experienced bad days fishing & must admit I have had more than my share with
some bordering on near disaster, with yesterdays, jaunt right up there with them.

As mentioned previously weather has been abysmal with winds force seldom conducive to boating.
So when a window of opportunity arose Vinnie & myself decided to grab it despite several factors
being less than ideal ... namely :-

The tide times where we had opted to go meant an ultra early launch, it was the morning after the
general election as well as the daylight savings changeover meant one hours less sleep. So it was a
4 am wakeup with a 4 - 45 departure for a 5 - 30 launch.

Arriving at the ramp it was darker than anticipated due to the lost hour compounded by a cloudy
sky. Vinnie has been suffering from back pains so was decided would be best for him to be aboard
for the launching which at low tide in the dark where the ramp slope increases as well as slippery,
was going to be a bit tricky. The first mishap occurred when the boat was flying off the trailer when
the winch ratchet prematurely engaged halting the boat in mid flight & trapping the paul in the gears.
Managed to free it with difficultly so set the boat on its' way again only to have the ratchet engage
again but this time it broke off under the force. Nevertheless managed to launch, park the wagon, run
the outboard then begin a slow trip down the river in the dark. Nearing the harbour water we decided
best to anchor until there was enough light to be able to see the channel markers rather than risk running
aground on the banks on a falling tide. Vinnie decided he might as well drop a line whilst we were waiting
to be rewarded not long after with a fish on. Well we thought it was a fish but turned out was an eel which
was duly cut free & not long after we saw the nav lights from the oyster barge coming down the river. We
were aware they would know their way even in the dark so up anchor then asked if it was ok to follow them
which they agreed to so were safely on our way.

All went well until the point we went in our separate directions & we were congratulating ourselves on being so
fortuitous, particularly as we had come prepared to set the flounder net, drag for scallops, then maybe get oysters
as well as fish. Vinnie says he told me 3 times that we were heading for shallow water, but unfortunately I did not
hear what he was saying & unfortunately a short time after had gone aground on a mud bank. The tide was dropping
so urgent action was required if we were to get afloat again & as in the past I have managed to haul the boat with
the motor up into deeper water, therefore quickly decided to jump over the side to do likewise. This is where I almost
found myself in serious trouble upon sinking up to my knees in the soft mud so as it was obvious there was no chance
of moving the boat went to get back onboard only to find could not lift my feet even when holding onto the boat for
when trying to lift one leg the weight increased on the other driving it even deeper so reckon I now know what it is like
to be trapped in quick sand. Driven by the thought of still being stuck once the tide began to rise, desperately hauled
on the boat whilst wriggling my feet with Vinnie assisting as best he could with his bad back & fortunately eventually
got back in the boat, wet, muddy & exhausted minus my crocs (footwear) that remained buried deep in the mud. So
there we were stranded on the mud with no option but to wait out the tides until afloat again, which we estimated
would be two hours at least but in fact took longer seemed like an eternity.

When we finally got underway again decided best to give away any idea of setting the net given we had wasted so much
time, plus setting / retrieving a net often fraught with problems & certainly did not net any more at that stage. We did
however try hauling for scallops as the new season has only just opened & we were anxious to know how the beds were
faring. We managed three & may have scored our limit had we decided to persevere but it is hard work so decided we
would devote the rest of our time fishing. As it happens would have been better off trying for scallops as the fishing was
the worst we had ever experienced on the Kaipara with only a few pitiful nibbles without hooking up apart from a small KY
which was lost at the boat. It looked very much as if we were going to blank & had discussed facing the fact by calling it
a day but changed our mind to changing our location once again for a final fish & Vinnie stated getting a few bites finally
boating a well conditioned respectable size snapper, moreso than it appears to be in the pic.

As for myself I remained fishless despite one hefty strike so was back to the ramp & the prospect of a difficult retrieve
considering the trailer winch was now malfunctioning.

As often happens after a bad day rather than be put off trying again, are usually determined to redeem yourself asap &
so it is we are probably going out again Wednesday so am currently working on repairing the winch.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a nightmare Bazza Shock - I think I would have headed for home once I had refloated.
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
Sounds like a nightmare Bazza Shock - I think I would have headed for home once I had refloated.

Tenet ... we have never known that area not to produce ... so to try to prove a point, we are heading out there again to the same
spot tomorrow.

If there is no report on that trip you can assume we have as good as blanked again & had to get in the queue behind this little fella !

Had our attempt our regain redemption yesterday by visiting the same spot as on Sunday that largely "turned to custard"

Pleased to report no major mishaps this time apart from my forgetting to change out of my slippers but fortunately Vinnie
had brought along a spare pair of boat shoes. The forecast had been mostly favourable & was quite tranquil when leaving
home, therefore was cause for concern when we struck black skies & heavy rain when about half way there, which set us
thinking .... Oh no, not another day like Sunday !

On arrival at the ramp was rather obvious given the colour of the river water that the general area had received quite a
dumping of rain so that added to our misgivings inasmuch as muddy fresh water rung into the harbour generally does not
auger well for fishing. Nevertheless we continued on our way despite a chilly wind that was making the conditions far more
choppy than forecast. We did however find a reasonably sheltered locality to set the net, after which we set off line fishing.
Two hours later we had only had a few sporadic bites but nothing in the bin, plus with the wind against the tide the conditions
were less than comfortable being held side on to choppy white caps. Was getting close to low tide so thought we might as well
dredge for scallops & hopefully score our limit of twenty each. Scallop dredging is usually hard work nevertheless quite rewarding
when making a quota catch but it was for some unknown reason not to be on this particular day as a dozen or so runs only
resulted in a few dead shells plus one undersized specimen whereas on Sunday a couple of experimental runs yielded a few ...
why would that be ???

As it was seemingly shaping up for a rerun of Sunday we opted to go ashore for some oysters comforted by the realisation that
at least they HAD to be there, which of course they were so at least we were ahead on that score.

Tide had changed to incoming when we resumed fishing again, without a lot of confidence based on results to date but for whatever
reason the situation took a turn for the better ... however was no way that it could be worse. Was still hard fishing but at least
there were fish coming aboard including a couple of beauties & the weather was now quite warm with glassy calm conditions, so
life was good again.

With eight snapper on board decided to call it a day before hauling the net & unlike last time did not consign the dive belt weights
used in the burley pot to the depths along with the left over burley. The net yielded only three flounder but was otherwise drama
free compared with so many other attempts of late.

Final tally was eight snapper, zero scallops, umpteen ky three flounder & a bucket of oysters each ... whilst far from notable, certainly
an improvement on the previous trip.

Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After waiting for what seemed ages for a favourable forecast Vinnie & I set off at a leisurely time on Friday,
undeterred by the fact lots of others would be doing likewise particularly as Fridays & Mondays appear to be
the most prominent days that fishos feel they need the benefit of a long weekend to get over any impending
illness necessitating sick leave.

Were only about 5 mins underway when I realised I had forgotten to wear my "lucky" hat ( am sure most can
relate to that ) but resisted the urge to return for it, arriving at the ramp shortly after 8 am in time to grab the
only trailer parking spot left.

The fact the wind was stronger & from a less favoured direction than forecast was soon forgotten when bites began
almost immediately with a fish aboard in less than 5 mins. The wind direction versus the tide caused the boat to
swing about at an awkward angle creating a few problems for fishing on my side of the boat with tangles etc one
of which a fish wrapped itself almost a dozen times around the other line as well as the burley cord then broke off.
Meantime Vinnie was having the time of his life enjoying constant bites & regularly hooking up on string pulling fish
in the relatively shallow water, yet oddly enough only on one of the two rods he had out.

Eventually the bites slowed with Vinnie well ahead on the tally board so decision was made to move to deeper water
to gain a bit of shelter from the wind in order to alleviate my tangling problems particularly as wanted to land something
decent on a new road but so far had only managed one undersize along with two breakoffs from sizable fish due to tangling.

Thankfully the move proved to be validated when my new rod formed a healthy bend along with the tune we all like to hear
of line being pulled off the reel.

It was a healthy sizes snapper & was to be the fore runner of several more that lead towards my redemption on the tally board
which saw us reach our combined limit of fourteen good size fish having released otherwise legal size in favour of larger specimens.

Having reached our keep able limit opted for an early finish to what had been our best days' fishing for awhile & had a bin full of
prime condition fat fish mostly in roe prior to spawning.

Would have been nice to have caught other species as well but all in all certainly cannot complain & suspect at least one of my lost fish
from tangling, judging by the way it performed may well have been a prestigious kingfish.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good report as ever Bazza - why the use of a fixed spool over a Multiplier, is that personal preference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 70, 71, 72  Next
Page 71 of 72

Jump to: