Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Drift Reservoir Cornwall

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports -> Stillwaters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Drift Reservoir Cornwall Reply with quote

We are down here again on holiday and the good lady wanted to visit Tate St Ives.
So after a hearty breakfast at the Scoff Troff we parted company and I set off to Penzance and Drift.
There is a small hut/building that is signposted and a ticket can be purchased here and the money left in a metal box along with the permit details.
There is one boat but it can only be hired if two people use it and it looks like you need to prebook it, I will investigate this further during this holiday.
I bought a C&R ticket for 10.
The first thing I discovered is that you need waders ( which I do not have with me) as the banks are quite overgrown and it seems to be shallow at the edges.
The one catch return in a box back at the hut said three fish to cruncher and a black peacock so nymphs seemed the best course of action.
I fished a floating line and started with nymphs,there was the odd fish rising in the ripple out of casting distance so I tied a dry on the top dropper.
After a few hours without a fish or a pull, I changed to a single Montana to see if they wanted anything bigger than I had been trying but they did not.
It is a great place, very quite and I was the only one fishing (on a Saturday) the next free opportunity and I will go back to find out more.
There are apparently rainbows and browns so the chance of a fish or two should be quite good.
Watch this space.

Liked by: tenet
tenet
1,000 Post Club
User is Online

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting Peter - there's a small trout fishery near Hayle that I went to a year or so back. OK for an afternoon whilst family go shopping etc.

https://www.total-fishing.com/tree-meadow-fishery-hayle-cornwall/
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be some bass fishing down that way!

Cool
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doug, I plan to have another go at drift first but may need to buy some welly boots first.

There are Sea Bass and I would like to have a go for them as well (I have some spinning kit with me)

It lashed with rain all of last night and drizzle today so not much being done today.
P
Lighthouse
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:

There are Sea Bass and I would like to have a go for them as well (I have some spinning kit with me)

P

The only bass we have access to are in the sea . . . a bit like Sea Mackerel, Sea Pollack, Sea Cod . . . Etc etc
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished for Sea Bass & Sea Mackerel today without any success Sad

tenet
1,000 Post Club
User is Online

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like Lelant Peter.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the estuary at Lelant, which always looks very fishy at high and low tide, but no luck for me there.

The local tackle shop said peeler crab works there, as you know I like chucking lures.
The weather was pants this year and the one afternoon I was planning to go back to Drift for some trout fishing the forecast was 40 mph westerly winds Sad I did not fancy that.
We did the Zenor to St Ives coastal walk this time which is around seven miles of fairly hard walking but the coast line is spectacular. It would be good wild fishing but a hard slog to get to.
I may be there again next month for a few days so will get another go at Drift and the sea fishing.
Ff
Liked by: Allrounder, tenet
tenet
1,000 Post Club
User is Online

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't done the walk to st Ives but a circular walk about 2 mile along the coast path and then back through the fields "up top". Also done the it the other way to Gurnard Head Hotel.

WHICH EVER WAY the Tinkers Arms is always a welcome sight. Very Happy
Appleman
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely......I fished Drifts Reservoir a couple of years ago from the bank (permit hut side) while on holday in Mousehole and thought it was a delightful little venue. Peace, quiet and stuffed full of little browns.....It made a nice change from match fishing, in a boat scrum for stockie rainbows.

All I used was a #6 Rod, floating line and a few bobs bits of various colours. #12 and #14 did really well and Black stood out as the better colour over fiery brown or claret. The fish were petitte but all had lovely markings....Thouroughly enjoyed my few hours there.

Lighthouse
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stithians too, my 'home' reservoir contains a considerable head of wild browns. Much more exposed and wild than Drift and although it can be 'challenging' it has a wild beauty which can be special . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports -> Stillwaters All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: