Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Line Tips
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Fly Casting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drsixty7
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Line Tips Reply with quote

Anyone follow this advice?

Link

springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use Pledge polish,as good as anything, no need for anything more costlier.
Lighthouse
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very good idea to regularly check your rings for grooving, not just the tip ring but particularly the stripping ring too. I don't know how old the video is, but judging by the rod and reel he's using, pretty old! Very few commercially available rods have ceramic lined rings but these days, even cheaper rods have 'hardalloy' rings which are very resistant to grooving. In theory grooving should be less of a problem now than in yesteryear.

However, it's not just sinking lines that can cause grooving, dirty floating fly lines not only compromise distance but also wear rings. From time to time, fishing in the rain on muddy banks etc, you can feel the 'grit, grime and effluent' on your line but often there's less visible contaminates too . . . algae and scum build up. Keeping your lines clean is very important and will not only improve casting performance but considerably extend the life of your line (sorry Rich' and Chris!). However, I would take issue with some of the 'advice' proffered in the video.

Firstly, to clean the line, strip it into the sink or a bowl and cover it with luke warm water and add 1 or 2 drops of detergent. Swish it around for a couple of minutes then dry it by pulling it through a soft, clean, lint free duster. Now, and this is where I strongly disagree with the video content, you need to apply something that will restore the 'slickness' of the line.

People use all sorts of stuff, furniture polish, Armorall etc but not all fly line coatings are the same and some of these products can adversely affect some lines . . . and if I've shelled out the 'hard earned' I wouldn't want to take the risk. I would recommend something like Snowbee Line Slick, Cortland XL or Airflo Whizz Lube.

Finally, casting practice. Yes always use a tuft of wool or a fly with the bend snipped off. Always wear a hat and glasses and know what it is you're practising before you start . . . otherwise you'll just end up practising your 'faults'! The guy in the video is not a great model for casting!
Liked by: Whistlekiller, Fryfishing
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Line Tips Reply with quote

drsixty7 wrote:
Anyone follow this advice?

Yep clean and apply Snowbee Line slick for me.

Smile
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 1st line "re-plasticiser" was marketed by Richard Walker & Arnold Neave (a chemist friend of his) back in the 70's, it was called "Permaplas" & was part of a series of prducts that included Permafloat, Permasink etc.

The idea being that with use, sunlight (?) etc, the solvents in a line would gradually "migrate" through the outer dressing coat & also into the core.

These solvents kept the line soft & when they started to vanish, the line got stiffer, so the original idea was to use a solvent based product to replace them.

Like most other items we use, flylines have improved, so the use of these products has diminished.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound advice there from Lighthouse, which for some reason I only tend to follow when sorting my lines out before the start of the season. I should do it more often.

I still have some line slick left over from some Snowbee floaters a bought a few years ago so I use that. I have used ArmorAll too in the past with similar results but found that it didn't last as long as the real stuff.

Totally Awesome Fishing has only been around since 2011 so the clip won't be that old. Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
drsixty7
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, based on the above advice I've bitten the bullet and bought some line lube, so if I'm not shooting 40 yards this season someone's going to owe me a fiver!!!
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drsixty7 wrote:
Right, based on the above advice I've bitten the bullet and bought some line lube, so if I'm not shooting 40 yards this season someone's going to owe me a fiver!!!

There will be an improvement, if not as you expect then it's off to see a casting instructor to help you I guess.
Liked by: drsixty7
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drsixty7 wrote:

Your counselor will be able to help you overcome your problems Mick. From a tube it doesn't matter much anyway! Very Happy

Web - SKB Fly Fishing
Facebook - SKB Facebook
Twitter - SKB Twitter
Blue Hound - Web Music
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whistlekiller wrote:
drsixty7 wrote:

Your counselor will be able to help you overcome your problems Mick. From a tube it doesn't matter much anyway! Very Happy]

True.

roallen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the video. I find it useful.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.A.F is a good Youtube fishing channel based in the UK, Fly fishing is not its strongest area but it is very entertaining.
https://www.youtube.com/user/TAFishing/featured

I clean my lines with soapy water and coat them with car interior plastic cleaner which seems to work.

Possibly high jacking this thread, does anyone still use shooting heads or have they been over taken by the forty plus style lines??
I still have a half a double taper attached to shooting line that I use at Farmoor which is about as close as I get to shooting heads these days.
FF
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I abandoned shooting heads a few years ago now as the weight forward lines I use these days from Airflo and others are pretty much the same thing. Smile

I still look in at Totally Awesome Fishing (TAF) from time to time. Graeme Pullen has been around for years and as a fellow 'allrounder' I enjoy his cross discipline approach, although I expect his presenting style will irritate some. Laughing

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: drsixty7
drsixty7
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:
I must admit I abandoned shooting heads a few years ago now as the weight forward lines I use these days from Airflo and others are pretty much the same thing. Smile

I still look in at Totally Awesome Fishing (TAF) from time to time. Graeme Pullen has been around for years and as a fellow 'allrounder' I enjoy his cross discipline approach, although I expect his presenting style will irritate some. Laughing

Alan Wink

I like him and his son, I think they do a great job and his informal style breaks down a ton of boundaries for me.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been known to ruin the backing part of a WF line (concrete bowl and boots) so have chopped the WF section of and again attach it to shooting line. I am not sure it adds distance but puts off buying a new line for a while.
By the way I am still using Sparton's braided backing which is very good stuff.
Ff
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Fly Casting All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: