Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Another gimmick?

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Tackle Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Another gimmick? Reply with quote

Link

Cool
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not tried one myself but I daresay its just another evolution like glass and then carbon etc. And they all became mainstream. If it gives a sensible advantage despite the cost involved then I suppose Scott is onto yet another winner. Very Happy

Web - SKB Fly Fishing
Facebook - SKB Facebook
Twitter - SKB Twitter
Blue Hound - Web Music
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whistlekiller wrote:
I've not tried one myself but I daresay its just another evolution like glass and then carbon etc. And they all became mainstream. If it gives a sensible advantage despite the cost involved then I suppose Scott is onto yet another winner. Very Happy

Did myself a "google" to find the cost - and was shocked to discover that their price was only a few squid light of a Grand Shock

https://www.fishingmegastore.com/mackenzie-fx1-graphene-fly-rods~30959.html

Wonder when the single handed 9 foot 10 weight will be available for Croc Hunting Laughing ........ Tony
drybuzzer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will all be using this stuff soon but it will be a few years before the prices drop to the average mans means.
Graphine is amazing and over the next few years you will be seeing it used in all sorts of stuff.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trialled 2 of the hotels demonstrator Mackenzie rods whilst fishing the Thurso earlier this year. The FX1 is a lovely rod but I was equally happy with the Mackenzie Perflex rod at about 700 less. Graphene has amazing conductivity properties so wouldn't want to be out in a thunderstorm using one. Shock
Liked by: drybuzzer, Whistlekiller
Lighthouse
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more of a 'gimmick than the move from greenheart to cane, cane to glass or glass to carbon composite.

As for the price, check out the cost of a single handed Sage XP in 2000 when it was launched, apply an inflation calculator and you're looking at 800 in today's terms. A Loop Cross SX, 14ft doublehander is 1036.
springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the theme of Aldi again.

I like my expensive Orvis Helios rod ......(not telling), but I also like my 10 glass composite rod.
Andrew Moray
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

Hope you're doing well ?

I seem to remember you have an attachment to a certain bamboo rod too ? Very Happy
springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All well here my friend. Smile

Ah, yes I'd forgotten about my Chapman cane rod. Smile
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Graphene Reply with quote

Will be interesting to see how it will improve a trout rod in real terms.I am still fishing with comparatively older rods.I have cast a few later editions and still prefer rods I am using hence not extending the collection any time soon.I would as not shy of moving forward.By same token I know if I was to put a couple of my rods on the market they would be gone in a flash which must tell us something.One I have back up for but the other would be doomed.Others are now going obsolete.Huge advances in fly rod technology have taken place in the last 20 years but felt it has stood still for a while now.Have to wonder how some of these rods can ever be better as they are a dream to fish with compared to ''the good old days'' not withstanding our individual preferences.

JP
Lighthouse
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphene Reply with quote

JCP wrote:
Will be interesting to see how it will improve a trout rod in real terms.

JP

I think this is a very pertinent point. Whereas there were marked benefits with the move from greenheart and cane to glass, particularly in terms of weight and the ability to produce 'faster' or 'crisper' rods and again the development of carbon composites was a huge step forward from glass. In the mid to late 70's I lusted after a Hardy Farnborough, an elderly angler who fished my local reservoir had one and to my eyes it was a 'wonderment'. Not so long ago I cast one. Mint condition and looking as if it had just come out of the Hardy workshops. I didn't like it at all. By comparison with modern carbon composite rods, casting with it was a very dull, lifeless experience with what I perceived to be little 'feel'. In today's market place there are any number of rods across the price spectrum that are much better and over time, the available technology has progressively made better rods that are more accessible to more anglers.

However, we are now getting into the territory of 'marginal gains' where the potential benefits of material developments are less obvious and potentially less beneficial in a real fishing situation. Whereas I really felt the benefits when I moved on from my metal ferruled Milbro Trufly to my Geoffrey Bucknall 'Two Lakes' and again when I bought a Sue Burgess Diamondback, my first carbon fibre rod, I'm not sure now that, in real terms, my own performance would be enhanced by anything better than I already own.
Liked by: tenet
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first commercial "carbon" rod in the U.K. was a Shakespeare 8'#4 & it's appearance was lauded by Brian Harris of Angling magazine & slightly later International Flyfisher as possibly the best thing since sliced bread. However, the rod was only available, initially in the one size/type option, which was never going to be a mass-market seller. It came to market, about the same time as I moved from Essex to Bristol, 1974.

A year or so after, Omri Thomas of Normark introduced the Lamiglass range. The first time they were seen, was at a BRFFA pre-season casting "warm-up" at Chew.

Omri sold the blanks as well as completed rods, & built several for people including one for myself. The most popular size, then was 9'6" # 7/8. He also demo'd Cortland 444's to everyone, they were 35 yards long then & many preferred them to shooting heads, which seemed the best way to cover more water, at that time.

Not long after that more & more make's came along, including the notorious Hardy's, which were a nightmare to cast with.

Though I did try a prototype at a Game fair, of one of their 2nd generation rods, of which they only made 7, it was at that time a revelation compared to every other rod so far produced, but they had many issues with production as it was almost impossible to get the blanks off the mandrels, they even tried teflon coating the mandrels, but to no avail & just gave up on the project & went to a different resin. Which was easier to remove but again the casting characteristics were totally different & never matched what they had done on the previous batch.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea from where Scott Mackenzie sources his blanks but in his advertising blurb he talks of "autoclave curing". The only people I know who promote this in blank manufacture are Century who produce their highly acclaimed Stealth range of Salmon rods and also the blanks,I believe, for Atomsix which again are highly regarded. Century are well known amongst the sea and carp fishing fraternity and joy of joy, British Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Tackle Talk All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: