Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Tippet Rings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> General Fly Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lighthouse,

Read your first post before you start. You did not say what diameters you used for the main part of the leader so it was a reasonable assumption that the three sections were the same. Be more specific next time. Try 2' of xx followed by 4' of xx and then 4' of a different xx.

Still over-complicated, but that's up to you. I'm a simple chap who prefers simple solutions to what is a simple sport.
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that's the beauty of it Bob isn't it? Apart from his obvious familiarity and extra experience in a float tube, you have a different approach to Paul and I have a different approach to both of you and I daresay a lot of the people on here do it differently as well. You, Paul, I and everybody else are as wrong with their opinions as they are right and always will be, and it doesn't matter as long as we all enjoy our fishing? Very Happy

Web - SKB Fly Fishing
Facebook - SKB Facebook
Twitter - SKB Twitter
Blue Hound - Web Music
Liked by: Allrounder
Lighthouse
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylye wrote:
Lighthouse,

Still over-complicated, but that's up to you. I'm a simple chap who prefers simple solutions to what is a simple sport.

You may indeed find my methodology 'still over-complicated' but it's the way I choose to fish and it's a way that 'works' extremely well . . . for me.

As Rich' alludes to, fly fishing as a pursuit is a very 'Broad Church' and what might be simplistic or appealing to me may not be simplistic or appeal to another. I was responding to the opening poster who clearly was having a problem/s with his leader set up, his knots and, in another thread, with achieving consistent leader turnover. Put all that together and, as a casting instructor, experience would suggest that solutions based on long lengths of level leader material might well address some of his issues but almost certainly add to others.

Our sport is as simple or as complicated as we[i] choose to make it and that is a major part of its enduring appeal.
Liked by: Allrounder
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not absolutely sure if tippets over there reefer to the same as we understand them to be namely :-

Joining one or more different dia leader together & if so would urge all fly fishers to try the ridiculously
simple "lazy mans method" which I discovered purely by accident & cannot believe it has not been used
extensively.

I discovered it largely due to being relatively hopeless at tying such knots & when I did they would take
me forever to tie, then often as not break or come undone.

A couple of years ago after repeated failures from conventional knots was close to the end of that fishing
day decided to try a ridiculously simple join to use for the remainder of the day, despite fully expecting it
to fail should I hook a fish. As it happens I did hook into a hard fighting fish & to my amazement the join
not only held on that occasion but continued to do so on repeated occasions thereafter plus should you
wish to renew the knot it takes only a matter of seconds rather than minutes. The inspiration was born from
the fact knots often came undone but tangles never do.

I have a sketch of the set up somewhere I will post if I can find it but don,t think it is saved on this pc so
may need to wait until we arrive home from Hawaii. In the interim will attempt to give a written description.

Simply tie a single grannie knot on the end of the larger dia length then form a clinch or uni knot in the smaller
dia length leaving the loop loose. Sip the loop over the grannie knot & tighten then trim any tag ends ... all done.

Everyone I have shown this accidentally discovered method has become a convert so you may well do so as well
but would at least urge you to give it a try. Has always worked fine with the flouro or nylon I use but perhaps there
are brands that are less successful & if so would be worth changing ... I favour made in Japan "Sunline" brand.

Last edited by Bazza on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fossil-fish wrote:
Thread them onto a safety pin, then tie your leader to the top one while still on the closed pin. Open the safety pin, slide the the ring off, close up pin again. Idiot proof. (and I should know)
Idea

Excellent tip, FF. A great contribution to the forum which will help others. Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: fossil-fish
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Alan. Quite sure that little stroke of genius was not my idea. Have bought Rio ones in the past that come on a little link swivel. Very similar idea.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Bazza Join and T-Rings Reply with quote

Variation on a theme Bazza.Shock leader Knot,Pena Knot,Roddy Hayes Knot,Slim Beauty Knot.Very strong.Difference being tippet is passed through single overhand or double overhand.Knot is formed around the line, wetted and pulled up.Best knot on the planet bar none for joining braid/gelspun to monofilament. Wink Got me thinking now about trout fishing possibilities.Thanks.

Jonathan Barnes now offering titanium rings on his on stream-guide site.Have tried and like them.

Best JP
trout
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Bazza Join and T-Rings Reply with quote

JCP wrote:
Variation on a theme Bazza.Shock leader Knot,Pena Knot,Roddy Hayes Knot,Slim Beauty Knot.Very strong.Difference being tippet is passed through single overhand or double overhand.Knot is formed around the line, wetted and pulled up.Best knot on the planet bar none for joining braid/gelspun to monofilament. Wink

Without too much deviation from the topic, have you ever used the FG knot? Apparently outstanding / the best for braid to mono/fluro!
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon reading several replies to this thread am inclined to think I was in error in thinking
it referred to flyfishing, but if not, then my comments may not have been relevant.
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reference to fly fishing Reply with quote

No difference in the reference Bazza. Is a good observation and worthy consideration because it works.Just a suggestion maybe to pass the tippet through the half hitch before tightening up and then tying the uni knot around the ''standing'' line would really streamline it and maybe have a more in line jamming effect.Have tried it and seems to work fine.

To Trout yes the FG is really strong and streamlined join for braid to mono.These wrap type joins evolved because of the cheesecutter qualities of gelspun/spectra/braided lines.All about being fit for purpose.FG is bulletproof just maybe more directed for use on heavy saltwater rigs plus it eliminates the need for twist and loop type joins.Have used it for putting mono top-shots on saltwater rigs although still mainly use slim beauty as quicker and never let me down.

Best JP
Liked by: trout
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> General Fly Fishing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: