Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Safari
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 69, 70, 71  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At most times there is a bit of a breeze blowing out on the water which even if slight tends to cause riffling over the flats,
however one day we enjoyed idyllic calm conditions.

Conversely there was an occasion that I felt distinctly uncomfortable about ...... namely :-

The normal procedure when fishing the flats had been for the boat to nudge into the sand, those about to fish step off into
about thigh deep water or less then you make your way over reasonably firm sand to the nearby shallows. On this occasion
was told to go over where the water was over waist deep & the bottom felt less than firm. Made my way to shallower water
but the bottom felt almost quicksand like in places, with my wading boots sinking unusually deep & when struggling to lift a
boot free sand & coral gravel was being forced down thru my gaiters into my boots causing considerable discomfort.

However worse was to come when I looked around to see if the others were having problems only to find the boat was well
underway & I was to be alone on a semi submerged relatively unstable sand bank, in the middle of nowhere on a rising tide,
as the boat moved completely out of sight !!!!.

Uncertain exactly how long I was stranded there before the boat returned, maybe two hours but it seemed like an eternity
whilst left wondering .... what happens if the boat breaks down ? ..... How high does the tide have to rise before sharks &
suchlike come over the drop off ? .... How strong does the current get as the tide rises.

Consequently scrambled aboard the boat when it eventually returned, resolving not to get off the boat again until we were back at the lodge. Fortunately that
unpleasant experience was a one off & thankfully never occurred again at any other time before or after.

CXI in general does not experience tsunamis waves but apparently about 2 yrs. ago four people along with the truck they were in,
were washed off this wharf & drowned when a huge wave hit.

Towards the end of our stay it was declared to be a "party night" where the dining area was cleared so as we could be feasted & entertained.

All in all a very enjoyable evening & slept well ready for an early morning start in the morning to beach fish the coastal area known as the Korean wreck.

To be cont.

Last edited by Bazza on Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liked by: BristolFlyer
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesday was our last day fishing & it had been decided that we would beach fish the flats at the other end of
the island known as "The Korean Wreck" presumably because a Korean ship had been wrecked there altho we saw
no sign of it. Is also the area that the UK /US conducted their hydrogen nuclear tests in the 1960's with the US alone
carrying out something like 60 tests & presumably the UK likewise BUT .... wait for it .... without evacuating the native
populace !!!

I was told that after the testing was over, they removed a metre of radiation contaminated soil from the surrounding
areas as a token clean up gesture .... but what did they decide to do with it .... dump it at sea of course .... we can only
give thanks that scientists are so exceedingly clever !!!

Anyway back to the fishing ... with my spin rod out of action, I opted to take a light spin rod kindly lent to me by Robin
& likewise a matching reel loaned by Rick. Of course left my fly rod at the lodge & Murphys' law prevailed inasmuch as
when Andrew & myself arrived at our chosen spot there were bonefish schooling in the shallows. Bonefish generally are
caught on flies so they were out of contention, nevertheless consoled myself with the thought that as the terrain was
fairly rugged with coral & scoria like rocks, then a fast running fish could easily see a flyline totally shredded.

Largely due to the fact the lures I had brought were either too heavy or two light the spin fishing was proving to be far
from successful, but we did at least have a small shark closely circling our offering for 10 mins or more.

After over a week of full on fishing, catching more fish was not a high priority so opted to explore the shoreline shallows
where amongst other things Andrew found a couple of clams.

Next morning when all packed up waiting to leave for the airport the skies opened up in a downpour & as we had only had a few
spots of rain in all the time we were there, could only conclude that Gary had planned the weather perfectly.

A two hour wait at the Cassidy air terminal made us realise how foolish we had been not to bring our bottled water along.

Stayed overnight at a hotel in Nadi then flew back to Auckland next morning ..... trip over.

THE END
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An amazing travelogue - thanks for taking the time to collate and post. Cool
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
An amazing travelogue - thanks for taking the time to collate and post. Cool

Thanx Tenet for those kind words & am pleased you enjoyed reading it.

After the equatorial heat coming back to some atrocious weather is proving hard to adjust to. Cancelled a fishing
trip out for tomorrow when a friendly forecast suddenly turned nasty.

Likewise the rivers as had planned on getting away Sun for a few days fly fishing but torrential flooding has pretty
much ruled out two of the three options being considered, so remains to be seen if the trip eventuates.

With regard to the thread it has been suggested several times that they should be compiled into an E BOOK & have
been thinking it might be a good idea, as when I get too old to fish ( perhaps not that far off ) then I will at least be
able to read about the exploits I have enjoyed.

Problem is that being a technophobe I have no idea what an E BOOK is, let alone how to construct one.

Can anyone enlighten me please ?
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the last day of the season fast approaching ( today in fact ) Lloyd & self decided to have a few days
away fly fishing.

Managed to get the motorhome ready for a mid arvo start, intending to stop overnight somewhere, but
kept on driving to arrive at our destination that evening, cooked & ate dinner then after an appropriate
time to allow our meal to settle retired early so as to be refreshed enough for an early morning start.

For whatever reason ( probably old age ) I was suffering from a sore back therefore found the walk in to
the Waipa pool rather slow & painful. However as soon as I actually started fishing the pain abated or if
truth be told, was most likely forgotten about in the tranquil surroundings whilst enjoying a favourite pursuit.

Lloyd was using his newly acquired skagit setup which was producing some mighty distance casts but unfortunately
sans any fish.

I only managed to land a solitary fish before things went dead so opted to make the painful trip back to m/home
for breakfast when we noticed one of the dual rear tyres was quite deflated. Was rather obvious that we would need
to have it fixed but as it appeared to be a slow leak & was only one of a dual set decided we had a bit of time before
it was completely flat, so opted to go up river before going the 20 kms or so back into town to have the tyre seen to.
The walk upriver proved to be a long & painful experience despite Lloyd having given me a couple of his pain killers,
which altho eventually effective were nevertheless comparatively slow acting. The fishing once more was relatively
quiet, so combined with the discomfort of aggravating the back pain from constantly having to clamber over & around
large river rocks, decided to turn back well short of the normal distance. When passing thru a small nearby village on
the way to town, Lloyd spotted a country workshop so we turned around to check if they were able to help with our
tyre problem. The wheels are of a split ring construction meaning only authorised workshops with a safety cage can
repair the tyres nevertheless they obliged by changing over to the spare which offed a degree of comfort, on the spot
all at an extremely reasonable price ... so much so we felt obliged to shout the guy a beer or two.

Altho we no longer had a useful spare, we felt confident enough to delay going into town & went to another nearby location
to fish instead of taking the tyre into town for repair which we could now reasonably safely put off until the next day.

On the opposite side of the river at this location there were a bunch of wild goats grazing on the riverside grass, seemingly
oblivious to the fact the local youth are often involved in their capture in order to turn them into pocket money, when sold
live for processing into meat for the various ethnic groups that favour it.

The fishing at this location prove to be much more rewarding with several fish landed.

Enjoyed a hearty meal that night which was just as well for once the frost settled about 4 am it was to be the coldest I
had ever known in the 7 yrs of owning the motor home, with ice forming on the inside of the windows, however we were
not all that far from the ski fields. The next photo was taken late afternoon & the frozen grass had not thawed & I know
for a fact the water was possibly even colder, when tripping over a rock to take a dunking.

We decided to take the tyre into town to leave it there for repair then go exploring new areas, one of which was on the Whanganui
river in the vicinity of the weir that Robin at CXI had spoken about. Unfortunately despite probably covering several kms of river we
did not enjoy the success that Robin experienced.

The sun setting at the end of a long glade that evening was quite picturesque, even if past its' best by the time I took the photo.

Next morning fished briefly for one more fish before meeting up with a fellow angler ( the only other angler we saw ) who had scored
a nice rainbow.

Made our way back to town expecting a fairly hefty bill, considering it was a split ring wheel only to be told to our
complete surprise they do not charge for puncture repairs ..... surely deserving of a shout of a beer or two.

Arrived back last night & as of now season has only two hours left before closing until the new 2017 / 2018 season
starts on Oct. 1st. There is quite a lot of water that remains open all year however will probably concentrate more on
winter sea fishing & the whitebait opening is not that far off.
Liked by: tenet
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Teeth as sharp as a razor"... is an oft used expression but in case you thought it was something of an exaggeration,
take a peek at these pics.

One of our group on the recent trip to CXI opted to stay on an extra week. When having his picture taken holding a wahoo
he accidently dropped it & the teeth made contact with his leg.

Razor sharp ? .... judge for yourself !

Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whatever could not sleep last night so after less than two hours sleep collectively, was not feeling
my brightest when 4 - 30 am came around, signalling Nouri would be arriving at 6 am, so it was time
to get busy preparing for our early morning gurnard expedition.

As well as being beautifully coloured, gurnard are delicious to eat & winter ( is here ) is recognised as
the best time to catch them.

Was just on daybreak when launching so all good so far, even if the river we were launching into was
unusually coloured. Water was much clearer further out in the harbour, however our tried & tested locations
noticeably failed to produce, furthermore there was hardly any fish sign on the sounder.

After awhile a pattern set in whereby a new found location would after no response, suddenly result in a
burst of enthusiastic action from a KY but each time it would be a solitary event with zilch to follow.
Eventually a gurnard which were the target species came aboard raising out hopes as usually when you
find one there are more to follow .... but not this time unfortunately.

At this point as the weather as less than enticing, a chill wind had set in & the fishing was slow it was decision
time. Our options were to either tough it out in the conditions in the hope the fishing would improve or to make
a dash back to the ramp whilst there was still enough water before low tide. An indication of how old I am getting
is probably reflected in the fact we favoured the latter option, which I cannot remember the last time such a call
had been made.

The day had not been a complete washout nevertheless but the colour of the river remained a mystery ... earth works
or a land slip up river perhaps.

We gave a couple of KY to a young Asian guy who proved to be a very grateful recipient.

Have had a much needed nap & now am ready to go again ... in accord with the symptoms of anglers addiction.
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the aforementioned rather lack lustre trip out on Wednesday, could not resist tacking the window of opportunity
weather wise on offer yesterday despite the fact of almost exclusively avoiding going out on weekends due to the
crowds at the ramps. However as it is winter reasoned that would be far less hopefuls than in the warmer weather.
Had opted to go solo rather than face the embarrassment of another less than productive day if taking a passenger.

Was packed all ready to leave at day break only to hear on the radio warning of heavy fog on both the West & East
coast harbours. After after some deliberation decided as being all ready to go, would take my chances as the worst
that could happen is would either need to wait at the ramp until the fog cleared or return home without launching.

I have a couple of pairs of crocs for wearing when launching or in the boat as there is no problem with them getting
wet, albeit feet can get a tad cold in winter. Anyway when putting them on at the ramp discover I had brought two
left feet, but at least the conditions looked good with minimal fog & calm seas.

There were an abundance of fish at my favourite "never fail" spot however they were all a few mm below legal size
so after an hour or so thought it best to move on to deeper water & headed for a flotilla of boats visible on the horizon
thinking there had to be a reason for them being grouped together.

Stopped about a kilometre short upon noticing birds working the surface so set a position that would allow the boat to
drift thru the area the birds had been working as fish can often be found on the bottom feeding on the scraps drifting
down from above. Set up two rods, sending the lines to the bottom in 30 mtrs then began a drift & not long afterwards
one of the rods developed a healthy bend after which a plump 36 mm snapper came on board so was gratifying to think
I at least had dinner. Following that there was constant activity with further 5 fish coming aboard. As there is a limit of
7 snapper pp per day, foolishly chose to move to a spot that had in the past produced big fish .... but not this time as
altho plentiful were once all a tad below the 30 cm minimum size. Not to worry I thought, will stop off on the way back
at the "never fail" spot which surely would eventually produce a legal size specimen. Had barely dropped a line when the
rod bent down towards the water & line was being taken at the rate of knots. Never got to finding out what it was as the
line snapped. This has become an increasingly regular occurrence of late so think it could be time to replace the braid on
all my rods.

The initial six "keepers" had been taken in under an hour yet a determined 3 hrs of fishing subsequently failed to produce
the much wanted 7 th so as to claim a limit bag. However was apparently not meant to be, such is the uncertainty involved
with fishing so headed back with the consolation on having a fine feed for self, friends & neighbours.

Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is winter time admittedly, but the country last week experienced extreme weather conditions
shutting down power, ferries, flights etc. cancelled & the closing roads in many areas. Auckland
escaped relatively unscathed but nevertheless endured rather miserable wet & chilly conditions.
Certainly not at all conducive to fishing or going out in a boat anyway.

Therefore when a break was being forecast Vinnie & I decided to make the most of it. The conditions
prove to be idyllic ... unfortunately the same could not be said of the fishing.

The action was decidedly slow with long spells of no bites then after shifting perhaps a fish then once
again zilch. We did at least collect a bucket of oysters each at low tide but possibly only because being
unable to move they have little alterative other than to be caught. Besides that we did at least manage
to catch a feed of fish.

Due to the fishing being so slow we elected to come in early & as we had spare time available went on
an exploratory jaunt up river where we discovered territory most would fail to recognise the locality albeit
the water was very coloured due to the recent excess of rain.

Weather looking fairly good for tomorrow as well so before putting the boat away may give the eastern coast
a go in the hope of being more successful.
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the fishing of late has been rather slow elected to go on a solo mission yesterday, rather
than take someone out only to have them disappointed. Enjoyed a leisurely start with an 8-30
launch however had fouled up on the tide times so was low instead of high.

Was plagued with undersized fish initially nevertheless managed a few keepers as well as a
large kawahai.

Caught a few more by drifting the channel but action was far from frenetic so when the tide
began to change & only small fish were coming aboard decided to call it a day rather than wait
for the current to flow again.

So once again less than a successful day but at least the fish caught altho not monsters were in
fat condition & managed a feed so could have been worse.

Sea temps are running around the 12 C mark so probably needs to gain a couple of degrees in
order to get the fish biting again however a bout of more chilly weather is expected as of from
tomorrow.
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallelujah & praise the Saints ......... heaps of photos had been lost in this thread due no doubt to
the restructuring that took place with photo bucket .... but .... as Paul said may well happen they are
gradually being restored without any input from myself !

Thanx Paul & Rich for your advice & assistance.
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are off to Hawaii tomorrow & spending some of the time there with friends Kimi & Larry
on the island of Kauai. As Kimi enjoys eating snapper, was hoping to take some fillets over
but time was fast running out with little opportunity to get out due to the weather plus there
was considerable uncertainty regards the catch as the winter conditions seem to have slowed
the catch rate down significantly. Yesterday promised good weather so Vinnie & I opted to seize
the opportunity by launching at day break under idyllic conditions, that is apart from the chill factor.
Have been frosts most mornings of late & yesterday was no exception for we reckon the ice fish
bin was colder on the outside than the inside.

At the first spot we had two legal size fish onboard within 10 mins so all looked very promising until
shortly after only marginally undersize fish were being hooked but even that began to slow down, so
time to shift. The next two or three spots did not produce any keepers but we eventually found some
keepers so all good ... mission accomplished.

John Dory are fantastic eating ... a very slow moving fish they rely on stealth & camouflage to lie in
wait to ambush their prey which they swallow whole. Vinnie unknowingly had hooked a small snapper
which had swum around our lines tangling them. We had almost managed to untangle them when Vinnie
became aware of a weight on his line which proved to be a nice sized John Dory. Apparently it had swallowed
the small snapper whole then was unable to disgorge it ... well done Vinnie.

Larry has booked us on a fishing charter out from Kauai next Sunday so really looking forward to that & hopefully
will be able to report a gratifying catch ... but like fishing anywhere there are no guarantees.

https://www.sportfishkauai.com/
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five hours trolling in an angry sea yesterday with five rods out with nary a touch..

Otherwise all good & enjoying the warm/hot weather here in Hawaii.

Pics later.
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 5 hr bottom fishing trip out from Honolulu yesterday evening.

Over 30 rods out for about a dozen fish at the most caught with nothing of any size & I managed to boat two of them.

Both would have been sub 30 cm ,,, one very similar to a leather jacket & the other like a cross between a trev & a
grand daddy hapuka, neither of which we in NZ would consider keeping.
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics re previous posts :-

Snapper fillets remained frozen so enjoyed them for dinner soon after arriving at Kimie & Larrys' home in Kauai.

The Waimea canyon on the island of Kauai .... hard to imagine that the nearby Alaka'i swamp situated 5000 ft ASL is perhaps
the wettest place on the planet with up to 500 inches or 12500 mm rainfall per year.

Where the canyon meets the sea.

Lunch at the beach.

Feral chickens are virtually everywhere, allegedly as a result of a hurricane that destroyed most
of the fowl runs, likewise apparently with pigs that escaped their shattered pens & ran into the bush
& are often making a nuisance of themselves foraging in peoples' gardens at night.

Dinner that evening ... I chose lobster tail on steak.

The boat Larry & I went out on but unfortunately did not catch anything, which of course can happen anywhere, a fact
that true fishos accept.

Conditions were a tad boisterous ..

Larry who is a pilot flew out to Chicago later on in the day & no, we are not holding hands it is merely an optical illusion..

Next evening enjoyed a Japanese dinner before flying out to Honolulu the next day.

Honolulu with all the high rise hotels & apartments occupied largely by tourists possessed quite a different atmosphere.

Waikiki beach provided respite from the mid day heat despite the crowded conditions.

Opted to go on a night time bottom fishing excursion & report is given in a previous recent post.

To say it was overcrowded to the extent of resembling a refugee boat when the final total number of passengers were on board
would not be too far off the truth !

Found the visit to Pearl Harbour a very emotional & moving experience.

This shopping centre was built around the existing trees.

Would have liked to bring back one of these Teslas but did not have quite enough petty cash left.

In hindsight however, being a technophobe maybe I would have trouble reading the instrument panel.

Regards the fishing overall probably would have been better off fishing for these critters in the mall when no one was looking.

Last edited by Bazza on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:38 am; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 69, 70, 71  Next
Page 70 of 71

Jump to: