Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Farmoor 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports -> Stillwaters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patience lads, patience. All will become good in the due fullness of time.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And while you are waiting for things to cooooool down, you can read FF&FT to find out how the experts fish Farmoor.
Plus there is a chance to read about the dark art of the sweep and rolly polly.
I am of to a day ticket carp fishery tomorrow to try and catch some monster perch supposedly lurking in the muddy water.
Very Happy
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the back of some encouraging reports on the boat fishing on Tuesday and Thursday I made an unplanned visit yesterday. Conditions were good with cloud base building when I set sail around 1.30pm and a healthy breeze. Reports were that fish were on the dries so set free drift to take advantage of the WSW breeze. Each drift produced interest but no commitment from the fish. Strangely although fish were coming to inspect my offerings there was no sign of fish moving and very little fly life. I noticed that the other 5 or 6 boats all had occupants facing the wrong way so surmised things were tough. Set up some nymphs with a glue buzzer on the point and db's on the droppers and shortly thereafter this fella took a fancy to the db on the top dropper

Spent the rest of the afternoon drifting hither and thither again getting some interest to dries, enough to keep you on your toes, but the only other fish came to a cruncher on the point whilst nymphing.

The wind was very cold and the air temp below that of the water which is never good. Most of the boats packed in by 5pm and the banks were cleared by 7.30pm so not a good day. As Wylye said above, we need to see temps fall even further for the fish to come on song and TW to consider some stocking.

Cheers

Doug
Liked by: Fryfishing, Allrounder
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F1 has now reopened for business just as Chew comes on song - decisions, decisions, decisions.
Liked by: Allrounder
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out side first thing this morning and thought its getting colder, must be time for Farmoor.
I will make the trip up there next week as I am a busy pensioner this week.
P
Liked by: Allrounder
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Decisions Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
F1 has now reopened for business just as Chew comes on song - decisions, decisions, decisions.

Like sea trout fishing Doug.''wait until dark and then wait again'' Will be September soon.Mushrooms here now Laughing . Looks like ''hopperama''on BW so guessing FM will burst into life soon.Take care and be lucky.

Best JP
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was a tough day on F2 - set sail about noon to a very brisk westerly not what I was expecting but at least good cloud cover. Motored across to the West side for some shelter and set drifts across the lake. The water quality had deteriorated since my last visit with about 4 - 5 ft with some staining. Tried dries, nymphs, lures (large and small) and even anchored to get down deep for nowt. Can't quite bring myself to backdrift but a couple of boats were practising the art but they packed in early so maybe they found it tough.

About 4.30 the wind abated giving a nice steady wave and one of Farmoor's zoo creatures devoured my Fiery brown hopper stripping me almost into the backing. A few acrobatics and I reckon something well north of 4lb went around the boat and threw the hook. Next drift a couple of feisty stockies and then the wind picked up and the action stopped. Ground it out till 7pm and gave it best.

Hardly any fly life and not a fin (well a few) showing. Quite a few banksmen out but I didn't see anyone catch. All in all a tough fishing day but good to get out.

Cheers

Doug
Liked by: BristolFlyer
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a tough day, but as you say good to be out on the water.
Peter
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough luck Doug, but good to get some action. I'm itching to get back there - being employed again is really interfering with fishing and golf time! Very Happy
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following good reports of catches on F1 a boat was secured for today. The cloud base was good but the SW wind became quite blustery as the day progressed spoiling what could have been a good day. For whatever reason the fish were just not on but I managed 3 to nymphs up to circa 4lb and pricked quite a few on dries.

Not many banksmen out and those that I espied on F1 didn't seem to be catching. Alan (allrounder) mentioned the lack of Cormorants on Chew well they are on their holidays at Farmoor - must have counted 60 or 70 on the floating straw bales Sad

Water temps apparently still up in the high/mid teens so no stocking until they fall below 15c.

Until the next time.

Doug
Liked by: BristolFlyer, Fryfishing
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday the 15th September and I was on the bank of Farmoor 1 with my catch and release ticket and the conditions looking good for a days fishing.
The wind was a North West, water about six steps down with very good clarity.
There was surprisingly few fishing, which was a worry, the two boats were out on No1 ( not sure how their day went) and only four others on the bank, we were out numbered by the twitchers who were there to see two surprise visitors to the reservoir.

It all started well with two good solid pulls to my nymph set up and then after about an hour and half a fish on Very Happy
Then it just turned into a hard frustrating slog Sad
I was joined later on the bank by couple of very competent local anglers and we cast at rising fish with all the flies in the box but to no avail.
When they stopped rising they would not take the nymphs sub surface or micro buzzers on a short leader, so a real problem to work out what to do next.
I waited to see if the fish would start rising again but with very dark rain clouds coming in I decided to call it a day at six and head home.

The general feeling was Farmoor shut down with the hot spell in June and is still hard going but as the end of September and the colder weather arrives things should pick up.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With water temps down to 15 - 16c they have started stocking. The Farmoor facebook page shows a video of thousands being stocked with (their words) more to come. Out with my pal next week so is it Farmoor or Chew. May pick Chew to allow the stockies to settle and acclimatize in Farmoor but there again I can be fickle Smile

Things have certainly been tough on F2 this past month or so whereas F1 fished well until I went Last week Sad

Thanks for posting and welcome back from Kernow.

Cheers

Doug

https://m.facebook.com/FarmoorFishing/
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Doug.
I am not sure what was going on there yesterday, there were good shoals close in rising for a couple of hours mid day.
There were also fish in the margins looking very unhappy and inactive.
At one point I tied on a big woolly bugger and pulled that in at various speeds, two BIG trout followed it right in and then turned away.
It was good to be out fishing Farmoor.
P
Liked by: JCP
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had an afternoon on F2 yesterday with Allrounder (Alan). I was hoping the forecast would prove correct as the sun bore down on a cloudless sky during my drive across Glos into W Oxon. Thankfully the cloud base started to build and coupled with a SSW breeze (blustery at times) the conditions were good. After a little problem with a stuck carb' float ably cured by Chris the ranger we were away.

We headed for the Southern end and set a drift toward the dock both on dries. I managed a couple of rises without any commitment whilst Alan hooked into the 1st fish of the day which threw the hook. I decided to switch to straight nymphs with a red holo db on the point and dropper and a cruncher on top dropper. Whether this was an inspired move or whether the air pressure changed but the fish started to oblige big time. We spent a very pleasant few hours hitting fish on every drift. They certainly wanted the red holo db with yellow cheeks. Some real crackers amongst them with one fish hitting me hard and taking me into the backing and going deep. Managed to pump it nearer the boat but it kept deep and very strong, I reckon it was either a Farmoor zoo creature or more likely foul hooked, whatever we shall never know as it bumped of the hook. Sad

Things went a little quiet so Capt Doug foolishly decided to move to the top NW corner which has always served me well - Not another pull for me and just 1 fish for Al. The whistle was scheduled for 6pm so we had run out of time to go back to the South end of the lake but who knows that may have proved fruitless in any event. We ended up with 6 or 7 fish apiece and a few long distance c&r so a good afternoon in very good company.

Some pictures of the day.

Cheers

Doug
Liked by: Fryfishing, lakefisher, Allrounder, blondie
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent summary of our afternoon, Doug! Cool

We started on dries but Doug was first to realise that they wanted something a bit deeper and soon watching him releasing yet another fish became a familiar sight ...

I eventually took the hint and abandoned my dries for nymphs but I couldn't touch them until Doug tipped me the wink that his DBs had yellow cheeks. Once I made the change I started to pick up fish too but Doug ended up wiping my eye with 7 fish to my 6 by the time we returned to the jetty. Some of his fish were real bruisers and they all fought like tigers. Cool

I've now fished Farmoor 2 in the depth of winter with ice forming in the dock, then again in the Spring and now in Autumn and I have yet to catch less than 5 fish per trip. That says nothing about me, but everything about the quality and consistency of the fishery. It is just a shame that it is a 150 mile round trip for me or I would fish it more often Very Happy

Many thanks to Doug for the invite and for sharing a great afternoons fishing. Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: lakefisher, tenet, blondie, Fryfishing, JCP
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports -> Stillwaters All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: