Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Legs Eleven sorry six

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying Forum -> Fly Tying Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Legs Eleven sorry six Reply with quote

Ok, so another stupid question, maybe Very Happy
Today is a painting a decorating day and I found myself with a paint brush with sticky out bristle.
What I am wondering is would knotted paint brush bristles work as hopper legs or are they to stiff, i.e will not be mobile in the water??
Lunch break over now so back to work.
Ff
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea until you try it. My thoughts would be - too stiff.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that they would be too stiff. I think a big part of the attraction of hoppers is the legs that wiggle when moved. I tried tying hoppers with knotted brown mono, and they never worked anywhere near as well.
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than likely - too stiff.

I find knotting pheasant tail fibres much too fiddly - so found me an answer ......

http://www.theessentialfly.com/semperfli-double-knee-knotted-pheasant-tail-for-legs-fly-tying-materials.html

Much more betterer than losing my temper doing them myself Laughing ...... Tony Wink
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I thought maybe to stiff, but will tie up a couple and see what happens.
I spotted in an old FFFT mag a John Goddard hopper with legs tied with horse hair, which must have been at the back of my mind while painting Very Happy
Ff
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakefisher wrote:
More than likely - too stiff.

I find knotting pheasant tail fibres much too fiddly - so found me an answer ......

http://www.theessentialfly.com/semperfli-double-knee-knotted-pheasant-tail-for-legs-fly-tying-materials.html

Much more betterer than losing my temper doing them myself Laughing ...... Tony Wink

Even much more betterer than wot Tony said are thin rubber or silicon legs. They wobble about like a homeward-bound drunk and you don't need to tie knots in them. Wink

Web - SKB Fly Fishing
Facebook - SKB Facebook
Twitter - SKB Twitter
Blue Hound - Web Music
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint brush filaments are best used for tailing but best of luck with your leg trials.

Smile
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint brush fibres are usually made from natural bristle or different forms of nylon fibres, several types of which are good for dry fly tails. However as far as legs for hoppers or daddies etc they would probably force the fly away from a fishes mouth by simply acting as a miniature spring (remember Dick Walkers ideas on stiff hackles, yes that dates me !). I very much prefer the natural look & water action of pheasant tail fibres, even if they are fragile.

Never really liked rubber legs, at least on imitative patterns, I'm sure that WK & maybe others will claim all sorts of virtues for them - catch more fish/durable/more colour choices/different action/ etc etc but I'll stick with cock pheasant tail, golden pheasant tai & even wound g.p. tippets for wet daddy hackles.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knocked this up with the paint brush fibres which are nylon ( I guess).
Despite looking o.k and easy to tie a knot in, my feeling is that with six tied in they are to stiff.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying Forum -> Fly Tying Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: