Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

River Thurso Caithness

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports -> Rivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: River Thurso Caithness Reply with quote

Back home last weekend after a very tedious 620 mile journey. Recent catches have been good and expectations were high BUT it was the old story of "you should have been here last week". Falling river bright skies and gale force winds reduced the weeks total catch by 75%. Managed to shake hands with 2 fish (beat 10 and 2) but both fell off after a few minutes tussle and my pal landed 1 fish and lost 3. Many long time Thurso rods blanked and one or two rods had 5 or 6 for their week.

The beats are huge and if you have any sort of mobility problems then life is difficult as the bankside vegitation and footpaths are very overgrown - very little vehicle access.

The river is mostly fished from the bank and with the low flow flies have to be worked on a lot of the pools. The waist high grasses on some of the beats make this somewhat tedious with lines snagging especially when the wind was blowing. At circa £200/day with a shared ghillie I do believe more effort should be put in to clear some of the banks. A lovely river and given better access I would be back in a shot - as it is I doubt if I would make the journey.

Ah well a week on Stinchar coming up:)Smile

Some pictures:

Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report and pics, Doug. I enjoyed reading it. Smile

Salmon fishing holidays in the UK seems such a gamble from the anglers point of view so you think they would at least try to make the beats more accessible. Supply and demand I suppose. Sad

Hope you have better luck on the Stinchar in October. Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice Doug.
I take it it has a head of browns and sea trout also?
Mark
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the Sea Trout but certainly some good Brown Trout to be had.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from a week on the Thurso – slow start with a low river but a deluge on Tuesday put the river up 70 inches which is the biggest June flood in over 20 years.

This put the fishing out for a couple of days but Friday saw the river slowly dropping and fish starting to appear. Over Friday and Saturday I took 5 fish and lost 2 more at the net.

Some pictures of the river and the fish taken. Used my Shakey switch rod on the low water but reverted to bigger guns after the flood with fast sinking tips and 11/4” brass tubes.

Had a go with the hotels Mckenzie FX1 which is good, in fact very good but would be hard pressed to find the extra £700 over and above the Mackenzie Perflex which the Hotel also let me try.

A tough week and to get the best out of the river you must take a ghillie. We made a big mistake 2 years ago in going it alone – this time sense prevailed and we thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

Liked by: lakefisher, JCP, Allrounder
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report and pics Doug, and glad you caught a few fish. Very Happy

While the owners have no control over the weather and water levels, they do have some control over the condition of the banks so I can understand how frustrating it would be trying to cast with wait high grass. Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports -> Rivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: