Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Palomino Midge (Buzzer)

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying Forum -> Step By Step Fly Tying
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan B
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Palomino Midge (Buzzer) Reply with quote

As requested. Please remember I'm doing this one from memory so it is more a Palomino style midge as it must be 10 years since I read about these and tied one.

You will need a fairly small hook for these. I recall the original being tied on a grub type hook so that is what I have used. This one is a TMC 2487 size 18. That doesn't mean you can't use something else.

Start your thread and run down the hook shank.For clarity I am using Fl. Fire Orange thread. You should use one to match the colour of the fly you are tying. If you don't have a colour to match use something like brown or tan. Something that will not stand out so much. Don't go too far, you are only putting the thorax on the hook so just over half way along the shank. Yes my thread is spreading here but that helps with the next stage.

This is the Chenille I am using. It is as close to the original that makes no difference. Wow it is expensive though this card cost almost ?2. I've got black but you can use any colour you like.

Another case of getting a grown up to help you! Strike a light then briefly "dip" the end of the chenille into the flame to taper the end. With some chenille's you may have a bit of core showing white after doing this. Colour it in with a permanent marker to hide the white bit. (Or claim that the white is to represent the breathers at the rear of the fly!!!!!)

Tie in the chenille to the top of the hook shank. The length you should make this is entirely up to you.

Tie down the chenille and tie in a bunch of pheasant tail fibres. There should be no thread showing bend side of the pheasant tail fibres.

Tie in a single strand of peacock herl and take the thread forward to the eye. The peacock is tied in by its tip but you should break the tip off before tying in. It will break and annoy you if you don't! Get rid of it first and it will not be a problem.

Hmm, breathers. Here I am using a bit of underfur from a piece of white Arctic fox. You can use wool, marabou, CdC anything fluffy. Tie wool or anything liner across the hook shank and anything non linear (CdC or marabou) along the hook shank and then split it.

You should be getting good at winding peacock if you have done the other flies I have posted. The peacock is again would in touching turns being careful not to overlap or leave any gaps. Tie it off at the head.

Note the change of view! Bring over the pheasant tail fibres and tie down at the head.

Trim out the excess pheasant tail. Whip finish. Here I have coloured the thread so that the orange doesn't show.

Grab the breathers and pull tight. Make one cut across the two bunches. Make sure you get the lot as you only get one shot at this.

The finished midge.

You can vary the pattern here are a couple I have tied today One is a shuttlecock the other has a dubbed thorax and cheeks. The only limit is your imagination.

If you do tie the shuttlecock version remember you only have a small hook so you don't have to put a lot of CdC in.

Cheers,
Alan.

Last edited by Alan B on Tue May 09, 2006 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
trout
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fly loks great!

I like that tail and the big body.

Definatly one for me to have a go at!
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "big body" might not be so big - the hook is only a size 18!

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Alan B
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow a picture is missing I'll modify the original post. Sorry folks.

Cheers
Alan.
North Isle Trouter

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ( lots of swearing)

be careful with the fire! That chenille stuff burns like a fuse for a bomb ftsssssssssssssss and then its all gone waaaaaaaaaahhhaaaahaha
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
TRUGG
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Alan

That looks brill i cant wait to have a go at it, especially the shuttlecock style.

You da man

Lismik Very Happy
Alan B
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Isle Trouter,
I did say you might want to get a grown up to help Laughing

Just light the flame and quickly "dip" the chenille. That is the best way I can describe it.

Cheers,
Alan.
North Isle Trouter

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Very Happy
it did turn out allright (its blurred cuz its a bit of a mess at the head -but you dont know that Wink )

but it did take an attempt or two..... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Shock

N.I.T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
Alan B
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done but singe the chenille before tying it in!

Alan
Salar
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Isle Trouter wrote:
but it did take an attempt or two..... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Shock

Very Happy Laughing
BiddyV

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the step by step pictures. Even I was able to make this today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying Forum -> Step By Step Fly Tying All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: